Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

5th gen kick panel install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th gen kick panel install?

I have a 2002 SE with non-Bose stereo and I'm planning on putting 6.5" 2-way components up front. Does anyone have pictures of their own kick panel installations for a similar Maxima? I'm trying to get a feel for how much room there is for kicks and how they would look when finished before I commit to doing it.

Also, has anyone had good results with imaging and soundstage mounting speakers in the front doors of a 5th gen max? Doors would obviously be easier but I have a feeling I'm going to need kicks to get more accurate sound.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:16 PM

I don’t think installing your components in the kick panels will give you more accurate sound then the stock location.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by kevarnold
I have a 2002 SE with non-Bose stereo and I'm planning on putting 6.5" 2-way components up front. Does anyone have pictures of their own kick panel installations for a similar Maxima? I'm trying to get a feel for how much room there is for kicks and how they would look when finished before I commit to doing it.

Also, has anyone had good results with imaging and soundstage mounting speakers in the front doors of a 5th gen max? Doors would obviously be easier but I have a feeling I'm going to need kicks to get more accurate sound.

Thanks!
You "can" obtain better imaging with some kick panels, but not necessarily. Your biggest drawback off the bat will be getting any bass response out of your woofers...unless you go custom and make some sort of sealed enclosure. I don't even think you can get a 6.5 woofer to fit a Q-Logic panel. You'd be better to keep them in your doors and dampen the heck out of them. You could always play around with the tweeter location if you want better imaging. I have some pics of my kicks on my homepage.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? This might help us advise you in the right direction!

Tony
Old 03-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
You "can" obtain better imaging with some kick panels, but not necessarily. Your biggest drawback off the bat will be getting any bass response out of your woofers...unless you go custom and make some sort of sealed enclosure. I don't even think you can get a 6.5 woofer to fit a Q-Logic panel. You'd be better to keep them in your doors and dampen the heck out of them. You could always play around with the tweeter location if you want better imaging. I have some pics of my kicks on my homepage.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? This might help us advise you in the right direction!

Tony
If I went with kick panels I would fiberglass them myself, so getting bass response shouldn't be too big of a problem. But if I can get good imaging out of door locations that would be easier and stealthier.

Sorry I didn't post my goals for the system before, I was mainly after pics of kick panel installations. I currently have the stock non-Bose stereo and I want to replace everything with aftermarket parts. I've done 2 installs in my past vehicles but this is the first time I've had the resources to really do it right. I'm looking for sound quality (not for competition though) with good imaging, frequency response, etc. The more I can keep the stock look of the car, the better. So ideally I'd like 6.5" 2-ways in the doors and a sealed 12" (maybe 10") in the trunk, all powered off amplifiers.

My goal is to have fast, accurate sound so that Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins sound good. But I still want to keep enough punch so rock, hip hop, and reggae sound powerful. I realize this will probably involve some compromise on both sides, but that's OK.

BTW, nice pics on your homepage...
Old 03-01-2004, 01:40 PM
jmax

Kicks would be magnitudes better for imaging, stageing, etc. I've done kicks in the 4th gen but not a 5th or 6th gen. Kicks or any speaker install really need to be custom for every speaker, every listener, every crossover, etc. It's the only way to get great placement and the best way to improve the sound of a system. Proper placement is much more important than choosing the correct speaker, amp, headunit, etc.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:02 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/407837