Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help me connect my Ipod to my Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:29 AM

Help me connect my Ipod to my Maxima!

Hey, I have a '97 Maxima with a bose factory system. First of all, is there an Aux input somewhere behind the unit? If so, I could hook up my ipod directly into that. People say there is a way to convert the cd changer input into an aux input. Is this possible with my max? Has any one here done an Ipod install to a Bose 4th gen system, and if so, how did you do it?

I am looking for a way to get a direct connection. I am not interested in wireless fm transmitters or wired fm transmitters.

Please help me out, I want to stop using this cheesy cassette adapter ASAP!

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-04-2004, 03:26 AM

the only way i know is the FM thing, but u dont want that. u could always contact apple and ask them
Old 03-04-2004, 06:39 AM

I know you don't want to do the FM thing but their great and easy and cheap. Go to Target and get the SI5 for $20. I got one for my wife for her RIO. We use it for more than just that. Portable DVD, etc.. Basically anything that has a headset jack. Plus you can use it outside the car, like on the stereo at home.

The thing works great. It's small, easy to use, and we haven't even had to change the battery since we got it in November. It's just like the $30 one at BestBuy but cheaper and works great.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's wrong with the wired fm modulators? They may not be "CD quality" but you're playing MP3s from a tiny portable so you're not starting with true "CD quality". In a side-by-side comparison, you would probably notice a slight improvement with a direct aux-in connection, but in daily use (especially with how noisy the interior of most Maxima's are) I doubt anyone would notice.

I use this one in my 2002 with the Bose in-dash CD changer:

It sounds great. I do use the iPod's "bass reducer" equalizer setting though (without it, the bass is a bit muddy).

I posted this in another thread, but this is what the setup looks like from the driver's seat:

Old 03-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbett
What's wrong with the wired fm modulators? They may not be "CD quality" but you're playing MP3s from a tiny portable so you're not starting with true "CD quality". In a side-by-side comparison, you would probably notice a slight improvement with a direct aux-in connection, but in daily use (especially with how noisy the interior of most Maxima's are) I doubt anyone would notice.

I use this one in my 2002 with the Bose in-dash CD changer:

It sounds great. I do use the iPod's "bass reducer" equalizer setting though (without it, the bass is a bit muddy).

I posted this in another thread, but this is what the setup looks like from the driver's seat:

uhh why? once its an mp3 it isn't true cd quality anyways because there is nothing as lossless compression. however and mp3 is an mp3 and an mp3. an mp3 player after it decodes the mp3 into wav would be extremly close to the same quality it was recorded at 64,128,256bit etc. just because it's a player doesn't mean it has crappy output quality. i pod's are the best mp3 player for sound quality output period. they have the lowest signal to noise ratio out there...honestly you can notice a difference. maybe not going 80 with a loud droning fartcan exhaust and open windows....the FM is why you get crappy bass.fm is what 64bit and cd is 128bit thats alot of quality your losing to save space. once i started ripping CDs at fm quality..worst mistake i ever made they sound like complete shait on a good stereo setup.

Want to add RCA outputs (with optimal sound quality) to the BOSE HU (95-2003)?

Use the PAC AOEM-NIS2. It is completely plug and play and provides a remote wire lead, a pair of front channel RCA outputs, and a pair of rear channel RCA outputs. Eliminates several of the issues involved with using a Line Output Converter.

Currently the best price is $59.95 shipped: http://www.affsave.com/pac5.htm

that is how you should do it. period.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Torgus
Want to add RCA outputs (with optimal sound quality) to the BOSE HU (95-2003)?

Use the PAC AOEM-NIS2. It is completely plug and play and provides a remote wire lead, a pair of front channel RCA outputs, and a pair of rear channel RCA outputs. Eliminates several of the issues involved with using a Line Output Converter.

Currently the best price is $59.95 shipped: http://www.affsave.com/pac5.htm

that is how you should do it. period.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all that part appears to do is adapt the Bose Headunit to a non-Bose, aftermarket amp. It doesn't get an RCA input into the Bose HU. In addition, the link you provided says that the PAC AOEM-NIS2 is only for model years 95 - 99.

Based on everything I've seen, there is nothing that will integrate an RCA input into a 2002 Bose system with the built-in, in-dash, 6 CD Changer. And since the actual HU doesn't have tha ability to select a source other than (1) Radio, (2) the built-in CD Changer, and (3) Tape, I don't see how any direct RCA input would work.

As for the sound quality, I said in my post that people probably could tell the difference. I would have preferred to use a CD changer to RCA converter. But I didn't have that option - because my Bose system doesn't have a CD Changer input to convert.

But, using a hardwired fm modulator (with my MP3s encoded at 256K), my music sounds pretty good. Better than any fm station. And not glaringly different than playing an actual CD in the CD player.

So, for those of us without the option of a direct RCA input, a hardwired fm modulator is a damn good option.

Btw, I admit I'm hardly an expert on this. If you can explain how the PAC AOEM-NIS2 (or something else) would work (without requiring me to buy a new HU and/or amp), I'd be anxious to explore an, admittedly, better solution.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just as a quick follow up...

Here's a site that explains the various PAC parts:

http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/pac/oem2.htm

As that says about the "OEM2" model Torgus linked to:

The OEM-2 is the one-piece solution for replacing the radio or adding an amplifier to any factory system.
Nothing about adding a line input to a current factory system.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am in the same boat as the other person in wanting connect and iPod to my 96 Bose system directly (instead of using an FM transmitter). If PAC AOEM-NIS2 is the solution, It is not clear to me how it gets connected to the Bose stereo and the iPod .... May be I am looking for some comments on the installation of it.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dbett
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all that part appears to do is adapt the Bose Headunit to a non-Bose, aftermarket amp. It doesn't get an RCA input into the Bose HU. In addition, the link you provided says that the PAC AOEM-NIS2 is only for model years 95 - 99.

Based on everything I've seen, there is nothing that will integrate an RCA input into a 2002 Bose system with the built-in, in-dash, 6 CD Changer. And since the actual HU doesn't have tha ability to select a source other than (1) Radio, (2) the built-in CD Changer, and (3) Tape, I don't see how any direct RCA input would work.

As for the sound quality, I said in my post that people probably could tell the difference. I would have preferred to use a CD changer to RCA converter. But I didn't have that option - because my Bose system doesn't have a CD Changer input to convert.

But, using a hardwired fm modulator (with my MP3s encoded at 256K), my music sounds pretty good. Better than any fm station. And not glaringly different than playing an actual CD in the CD player.

So, for those of us without the option of a direct RCA input, a hardwired fm modulator is a damn good option.

Btw, I admit I'm hardly an expert on this. If you can explain how the PAC AOEM-NIS2 (or something else) would work (without requiring me to buy a new HU and/or amp), I'd be anxious to explore an, admittedly, better solution.

Guys I need some help. I just bought an iPod and I need to connect it to my BOSE. Now I have a 2K1 and I do not have the cd changer installed (But I do have the option to hardwire it). What is this CD-Changer to RCA converter that dbett is talking about that I need? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:51 PM

here's another option for adding an aux. input to your factory system.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...nDash/HPX.html
Old 03-06-2004, 10:33 PM

Someone showed me this in an Ipod forum. He said he hooked his ipod up to his '02 altima that has a bose system and this is how he did it.

http://www.methodlab.com/members/beetlebum/Din4.jpg

He didn't explain to me what it is. He just said take this to a car audio mechanic. Does anyone know what exactly that is and if it is legit?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow I just got an iPod and this thing is amazing. So yea I want to know how I can hook it up to the car without adding an aux input. (Using the cd-changer input).

Ive done some reaseach and found that I need to get an auxiliary input converter that will let me use rca cables with the cd-changer input on my bose. Now the thing is that I have found these adapters for hondas, bmw's etc... but cant seem to find one for the 01 maxima. Could any1 help me out please?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
wow I just got an iPod and this thing is amazing. So yea I want to know how I can hook it up to the car without adding an aux input. (Using the cd-changer input).

Ive done some reaseach and found that I need to get an auxiliary input converter that will let me use rca cables with the cd-changer input on my bose. Now the thing is that I have found these adapters for hondas, bmw's etc... but cant seem to find one for the 01 maxima. Could any1 help me out please?
That is the entire point of this thread. They don't make an aux adapter for Nissan Factory Bose systems so I am trying to find an alternative method. I haven't found a way yet, other than fm transmitter and cassette adapters, but those do not provide the best sound quality.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 AM

this guy makes aux input adapters for nissan bose systems.

Here's the thread.

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...indash+changer

Goodluck.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Thanks a bunch nismo, I PMed the guy.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NISMO808
this guy makes aux input adapters for nissan bose systems.

Here's the thread.

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...indash+changer

Goodluck.
Thanks but that thread is like a year old. Still hopefully the guy is still around and will read it again. I also sent him a pm...

It seems people with the 2002 altima can do this. Im wondering if the bose on the altima is the same as 2k1 max.