Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

what are better components......?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what are better components......?

the dei 7 inches on sound domain or the cdt's. their boyh around the same price just want to know which are better?
Old 03-06-2004, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by PEARLYI30
the dei 7 inches on sound domain or the cdt's. their boyh around the same price just want to know which are better?

from what i read the dei's are a little harsher but that just a matter of preference. i have the cdt's and i love them yet ive never heard the vipers. however, i believe the cdt's are on backorder from thezeb.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:35 AM

Better for what? That's a totally subjective question and the answer will be different for different people. Which one sounds better to you?

Tony
Old 03-06-2004, 05:38 AM

well thats the whole point of me asking the question. I would like to see what people's opinions are on both of them and then make my decision off of that. I don't expect God to come on the org and give me one special answer.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:41 AM

well thats the whole point of me asking the question. I would like to see what people's opinions are on both of them and then make my decision off of that. I don't expect God to come on the org and give me one special answer.
i think tony is saying to listen to them and see which one you like. however, i myself could not do that so i went online and got opinions.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:24 PM

You know, judging from your response, it's safe to say that I've been a car audio hobbyist about as longs as you've been alive. I'm not sure why you took such great offense at my post. Since your post was so generic, I was trying to get you to be more specific about what you might be hoping for in terms of your speaker selection. Without more information, your replies are also going to be generic.

So good luck and I hope you're happy with whatever speakers you buy.

Tony
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
You know, judging from your response, it's safe to say that I've been a car audio hobbyist about as longs as you've been alive. I'm not sure why you took such great offense at my post. Since your post was so generic, I was trying to get you to be more specific about what you might be hoping for in terms of your speaker selection. Without more information, your replies are also going to be generic.

So good luck and I hope you're happy with whatever speakers you buy.

Tony

well said!

as for the speakers, of the two i would choose the CDTs. i have never heard anyone complain about them. if it were me, i would get some JL VR ot XR series components though. all i have to say is make sure you listen to anything before you buy it. i'm sure you would be happy with whatever speakers you end up choosing.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:33 PM

First of all Tony, I didnt take offense to what you said, my point was that I wanted to hear people's opinions because I do not have access to hear every single speaker that people tell me are pretty good, so the best thing to do was to make a post and get some opinions. I was hoping not to get a answer like yours because I obviously can't listen to either of the speakers which is the point of me making the thread in the first place. So I didn't take any offense to what you said I just wanted an opinion on the speakers and nothing else.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:37 PM

if you can't listen to them, why are you getting them? no offense dude, but listening to speakers in person plays a big part in speaker buying. what IF you bought them because someone said they're good (their opinion of course) but it end up sounding not so right to you?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
if you can't listen to them, why are you getting them? no offense dude, but listening to speakers in person plays a big part in speaker buying. what IF you bought them because someone said they're good (their opinion of course) but it end up sounding not so right to you?

yes it does. but nobody i know carries cdt and granted you may completely dislike a certain speaker, playing them in a car audio shop is different. they may have a high powered amp on them when your looking to run speakers off a h/u, just for example. in general, cdt is known to be laid back, and infinity to be more harsh. so if he wanted a warm sound cdt is the way to go. so if dei vipers are harsh( i dont really know just making it up) then he would pick cdt. he just wanted to hear general opinions. i bought my cdts off other peoples responses and im very happy with the purchase.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:16 AM

First of all Tony, I didnt take offense to what you said, my point was that I wanted to hear people's opinions because I do not have access to hear every single speaker that people tell me are pretty good, so the best thing to do was to make a post and get some opinions. I was hoping not to get a answer like yours because I obviously can't listen to either of the speakers which is the point of me making the thread in the first place. So I didn't take any offense to what you said I just wanted an opinion on the speakers and nothing else.
Asking "What's better, brand A or brand B"? is completely useless unless you tell people what you might be looking for. And when taking into consideration these peoples' opinions, it also helps to know a little about their history. Even still, your input and their advice may be totally way off base because everyone's ears are different. I might want to ask people what their opinions are on a specific Focal component set. I would probably first want to tell them I have a Dynaudio 360 set and I really like how neutral yet extremely detailed they are and if anyone has had experience with either, or preferably both, and how do they compare. I might want to tell them I like to listen to loud music at extended intervals and I'm not interested in impressing anyone but myself.

I'd compare this to asking "Which car should I get, an Acura TL or 350Z"? Well they're both fine automobiles, but if you want something to take your friends to Starbucks in, then the 350Z is not your car. But maybe you want a convertible, which the Z happens to offer.

I appreciate your explanation. I was only trying to point out that your original question was too vague. I too have been in the position of having to buy a speaker brand without hearing them first. Quite frankly, even hearing a speaker in a shop is not representative of how it might sound in your vehicle, so getting opinions is still important. I would have thought you would have appreciated my advice by telling you to be more specific about what you were looking for. And your original post contained none of that information, including the fact that you did not have the ability to listen to either brand firsthand.

Tony
Old 03-09-2004, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
Asking "What's better, brand A or brand B"? is completely useless unless you tell people what you might be looking for. And when taking into consideration these peoples' opinions, it also helps to know a little about their history. Even still, your input and their advice may be totally way off base because everyone's ears are different. I might want to ask people what their opinions are on a specific Focal component set. I would probably first want to tell them I have a Dynaudio 360 set and I really like how neutral yet extremely detailed they are and if anyone has had experience with either, or preferably both, and how do they compare. I might want to tell them I like to listen to loud music at extended intervals and I'm not interested in impressing anyone but myself.

I'd compare this to asking "Which car should I get, an Acura TL or 350Z"? Well they're both fine automobiles, but if you want something to take your friends to Starbucks in, then the 350Z is not your car. But maybe you want a convertible, which the Z happens to offer.

I appreciate your explanation. I was only trying to point out that your original question was too vague. I too have been in the position of having to buy a speaker brand without hearing them first. Quite frankly, even hearing a speaker in a shop is not representative of how it might sound in your vehicle, so getting opinions is still important. I would have thought you would have appreciated my advice by telling you to be more specific about what you were looking for. And your original post contained none of that information, including the fact that you did not have the ability to listen to either brand firsthand.

Tony
Well I appreciate your explanation also, it was obviously just a miss understand because the way I took your first post was as if you were saying that I was asking a stupid question and I should of never started the post. Now I understand what you were trying to say. Anyway its over, its all good. As far as being specific..... I listen to rap and R&B and I am looking for something loud but clear with some good quality sound. I plan on getting 2 12" IDMAX subs so I am gonna need something that will not get drowned out. I have a 98 I30 so I plan on put 6.5" components in the front and the rear. I do not want to spend an outragious amount of money such as focal, but I dont mind spending the average for a good pair of components like $400 or so, which also explains why I have this post. I dont want to spend that kind of money for omething that I will be sorry about later. So far from what I have heard it will be diamond audio, mb quarts, or boston pro's. I hope this gave you some what of an idea as to what I am looking for. Please give me some advice