Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Amp rack suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:30 AM

Amp rack suggestions

Well I have a Rockford Fosgate 1500bd and kenwood 300 watt amp (dont know model number) and I wanted to make a nice little custom amp rack for them. I have an extremely huge box that is ported, and dont want to mount the amps on them. I plan to use 3/4" MDF wood, any suggestions on how I can make this? I'll post later on the box dimensions and give some pics so you guys can have a better idea of what I'm working with.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 AM

Lose teh huge box, flush the amps into the floor.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:01 AM

No way I'm losing the box, I love it, makes the bass sound real deep and kick real hard. I paid good money for it. Other suggestions?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:04 AM

Check my siter for how I currently hae my amps mounted. Althought I'm redoing them.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:51 AM

i was thinkning about putting them on the sides, how hard was it to put it there and secure it? where did you bolt the wood too?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:22 PM

I drilled into the metal. Only hard part is getting a nut on the back of the bolt, but you relaly don't need one.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:55 AM

Sorry it took so long to post back, been a little busy, here is tghe best pic I have of my setup, its prolly bigger than it looks:

Thats the box pushed as back as it can go. It does go flat against the back seat area cause it is too wide. Hopefully this can give you a better image of what I am working with.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by D1NOnly34
Sorry it took so long to post back, been a little busy, here is tghe best pic I have of my setup, its prolly bigger than it looks:

Thats the box pushed as back as it can go. It does go flat against the back seat area cause it is too wide. Hopefully this can give you a better image of what I am working with.
Dear God, I offer this prayer to help this man dump this redikulusly large unessacary box, please help him find the strength to fight the rice!! Amen
Old 03-09-2004, 10:50 AM

I dont see whats so rice about it? Its a normal box made by MDF wood and ported. Ported boxes always have to be bigger or else it wont sound right. i know its not a carpeted box, but thats how it was made, I bought it from a friend. Sorry if you dont liek it, dont post, I'm not asking opinions on the box, just on amp racks.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:59 PM

Bro I dont' care if you paint it, it's still way to big, and unessacary, you can make it so much smaller and build a great amp rack...either way heres a suggestion since your gonna be foolish and keep it.Stop listening to friends and posting...sit down draw ideas out see what you like and whats feasible for your budget...heres one idea, flush mount the amps into the floor, and make a cover for the large box. Clean cheap and simpel
Old 03-09-2004, 05:48 PM

Im more about sound than making the amp looks nice. I like the deep soundign bass, something I cant get with a small sealed box. I want to keep my spare tire. I am going to keep the box, enough said. I dont think I'm being foolish by keeping it.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by max'n out
Bro I dont' care if you paint it, it's still way to big, and unessacary, you can make it so much smaller and build a great amp rack...either way heres a suggestion since your gonna be foolish and keep it.Stop listening to friends and posting...sit down draw ideas out see what you like and whats feasible for your budget...heres one idea, flush mount the amps into the floor, and make a cover for the large box. Clean cheap and simpel
are you knowingly going against the grain, or do you just not know what you're talking about (serious question)? ported boxes always require more airspace, which contributes to subs perforrming better. if you know different, please share. i would still say put the amps in the floor unless they will fit well in the sides. i know you said not to comment but you could drop a few dollars and carpet your box, show it how much you love it.

*edit* after looking at your page i see that you most likely know what you're talking about, but you are telling this man to do what you like (sq i assume), instead of what he does.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:29 PM

Im more about sound than making the amp looks nice. I like the deep soundign bass, something I cant get with a small sealed box. I want to keep my spare tire. I am going to keep the box, enough said. I dont think I'm being foolish by keeping it.

Dude I just gave you a way to keep the large box and keep the spare...It's vary simple. Flush um into the floor and make it a flip floor.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
are you knowingly going against the grain, or do you just not know what you're talking about (serious question)? ported boxes always require more airspace, which contributes to subs perforrming better. if you know different, please share. i would still say put the amps in the floor unless they will fit well in the sides. i know you said not to comment but you could drop a few dollars and carpet your box, show it how much you love it.

*edit* after looking at your page i see that you most likely know what you're talking about, but you are telling this man to do what you like (sq i assume), instead of what he does.

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahbahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....Whe n you assume you make an ***.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:03 PM

i agree on the box being too big. but to each his own.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:10 PM
jmax

Ported boxes don't need to be bigger for better bass. That's a misnomer. But achieving a low tuning frequency with a port large enough to keep port noise to a minimum is difficult in a small box. Choosing the correct speakers for the level of sound you desire is a worthy suggestion. Then building a box that is not so rectangular so that you get more air in the box, and less wasted surrounding it. There is a lot of wasted space in that trunk and the spare is useless if you can't get it out. Even the way it is I think there is plenty of space for the amps. Neither of the amps you have is huge.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the coments, I would love to put the amps flush into the floor, but realisticly speaking, the box is very big, so it would be covering some of the amp, which is what I dont want if I had them in the floor. I was thinking of putting them on the side, or maybe behind the box. One thing for sure is, I dont want to really block the little ski hole for the arm rest in the back seat. The bass sounds better when it is open, but then again, I dont have a lot to work with. The box is especially made for these subs. They satisfy the recommended cubic feet of air needed inside the box (ported) to make these subs sound good. You would have to hear it in person to actually appreciate it. Can anyone else show me pictures of amps mounted on the sides? Oh yeah I was also thinking of only having the RF amp mounted on the side, and maybe the Kenwood under my passenger seat or something.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:52 AM
jmax

I would mount the 1500bd as far forward in the trunk as possible to keep the power wire as short as possible. If mounting it on the side doesn't block the port that will work fine but put the power terminals toward the front of the car. Where does the port or ports exit the box? Another consideration is to remove the subs and recess them in the top of the box. Cover the other hole and use the back side of the box to mount the amps. You can also use the area on either side of the trunk, over the location of the jack. But it sounds like you have space in front of the box since you didn't trim the box corners to account for the rear shock towers. You may be able to angle the amps so that the ski hole is not blocked.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:33 PM

Very good ideas jmax, the port holes from the box come out through the sides, they arent circular like most boxes, these are thin and rectangular. If you want a pic I can provide you with one to get a better picture of it. The port hole is as big as the height of the box. Looking at the sides, it seems that there is much more room to work with on the side with the jack, but then again, thats the opposite side of where the battery cables are run from. I know that the ground wire should be as short as possible, but unless you have a battery in your trunk, it would be hard to have the power cable short as well. By front of the trunk, you mean the area farthest away from the trunk lid and closest to the ski hole correct? That rectangular area between the back of the backseat and the end of the rear shock towers is basically all I have behind the box to work with. It seems that the closer the box is to the trunk lid, the better the bass sounds.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 PM
jmax

The further back you push the box toward the trunk lid the closer the reflected wave is to being in phase with the direct wave off the cone. That is why it sound better at the rear of the trunk. You are also getting a reflected wave from the air coming of the ports off of the side walls. If you build an amp rack on each of those side walls it might actually help out a little by bringing the first reflection closer to the port opening. Are these the dimensions of that amp? 2.4" H X 18.35 " L X 9.8" W?

Send me an email so that I have your email address. Then stand by in about 30 minutes for a photo.
j_grieve33@hotmail.com

Old 03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
jmax

I just took a pic of an amp that is 2.0" X 17" X 10.25" in the drivers side rear corner. A bit longer amp will also fit.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:12 PM

If your box is too big to allow you to flush the amps into the floor and make a flip rack, how is it you can get to the spare at all?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:01 PM

Dimensions of the amp: 18-½"W (13-11/16" without endcaps) x 2-7/16"H x 9-7/8"D

max'n out: I can ge the spare tire out...barely and with lots of work

jmax sending you an email right now, thanks!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by max'n out
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahbahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....Whe n you assume you make an ***.
you don't have to be a *****. or wait, maybe you do. i wont assume that you do not have some kind of mental condition that causes you to act like a little girl. you can have all the money and zapco amps in the world, but come around me with that attitude and you'll go home empty handed and broken hearted. assume thats the truth, trick.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:27 PM

you don't have to be a *****. or wait, maybe you do. i wont assume that you do not have some kind of mental condition that causes you to act like a little girl. you can have all the money and zapco amps in the world, but come around me with that attitude and you'll go home empty handed and broken hearted. assume thats the truth, trick.
Is that the best threat you can do? Come on this is the internet tell me how you gonna kick my *** bro. hahahahahahahaha...I'm in charlotte if you really wanna do something. Other than that, take your Internet threats and stupid *** outta here.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor

thats not a direct threat, but i promise theres somebody near you who feels the same way. you go telling somebody complete bs, it doesn't matter how much money you have to spend on your max, they will pull your card. you think that because your max is (have to admit it) clean, that your word is gold. anybody who tells me that i don't need a high volume ported box to get the maximum performance out of my beat is immediatly written off. anybody who does not know how to act when i take my time to point out i was wrong deserves to get slapped (whether i ever get to do it or not).
Old 03-13-2004, 08:05 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

guys dont ***** up the thread, can i see the pics of the amp ? paragv @ juno.com thanx
Old 03-13-2004, 10:00 PM

thats not a direct threat, but i promise theres somebody near you who feels the same way. you go telling somebody complete bs, it doesn't matter how much money you have to spend on your max, they will pull your card. you think that because your max is (have to admit it) clean, that your word is gold. anybody who tells me that i don't need a high volume ported box to get the maximum performance out of my beat is immediatly written off. anybody who does not know how to act when i take my time to point out i was wrong deserves to get slapped (whether i ever get to do it or not).
I'm here for ya buddy...when ever you wanna get to slappin let me know. But by the way this is an open forum, you shoun't write off anybody cuz they disagree with you, or think cuz sombody agrees with you that they know everything. My max means nothing about my knowledge, you can no nothing and buy it....but many other things do prove my knowledge of cars. But if you really wanna fight or have sombody near me do it, i'm here bro. all cuz i dont' like your box. By the way i'm not whoreing up the thread i'm replying to a post directed toward me and gave an idea for the amp rack. So lets stop whoring the thread and if you have more for me my email is SirJBling@yahoo.com
Old 03-13-2004, 11:39 PM
jmax

Max is normally used with the letters SPL.
Performance implies SQ.

Let's not get confused and use both in the same sentence. And go ahead and write me off because I know things that you don't know and I don't mind pointing out that you havn't contributed to the thread.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:46 PM
jmax

Originally Posted by nismos14
guys dont ***** up the thread, can i see the pics of the amp ? paragv @ juno.com thanx
I deleted the spaces in your address and sent you a pic. Let me know if you don't get it. Or if you need a different view or more light.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:51 PM

since I was the one who started this thread, I think its only right to say, that max'n out, you really havent had anything productive to say. Just because the box is too big for you, doesnt mean its a bad useless box. By looking at your setup, I can tell that my max basses more than you, but maybe you're not all about bass, I dont judge you on that. That being said, if you dont have amp rack suggestions, as asked since post #1, then dont bother posting please. You you gave one idea, but as if I'm goign to listen to you and redo my whole system. I aksed the question so it can be done around the space I have now. you have each other emails, go have fun emailing each other
Old 03-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the box is as big as any ported 2 12's right?? I'm about to get a ported box for 1 15 and it's just as big.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:08 AM

yes, but the box COULD be bigger, Ive seen boxes that same size just for ONE sub, its all about the air space you provide the sub, and as long as you follow the specs.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:04 AM
jmax

It's not as simple as you guys are implying. The volume of air in the box has at least two primary functions. First is as an air spring to resist the motion of the sub. A sub displaces air as it moves in and out and the sub can move more efficiently in a larger volume of air. Optimal volume is dependent on many factors including the subs suspension compliance, motor properties, and desired response characteristic - smooth rolloff with low freq extension, response with a peak in the lower midbass, transient response, etc. Second is the port and desired tuning frequency. The larger the box the shorter the needed port to tune to the same frequency. But the port surface area also alters the tuning frequency. A port that is too narrow will have noise, port noise or chuffing. Port surface area requirements are dependant on the volume of air that the sub is likely to displace. And the port causes a lot of back pressure on the cone of the speaker at and near the tuning frequency. Below the tuning frequency the pressure drops at a high rate the sub is susceptable to going beyond it's mechanical limit, blowing.

Good response can be had from a small ported box or a large ported box. The opposite is easier to achieve. I'm willing to bet that I can get more output and more accuracy from a single 15 in a ported box significantly smaller than the dual 12 in the pics. And still have room to mount the amps.

Every speaker has different response characteristics and will likewise work differently in equal enclosures. But that doesn't mean that you can hear the difference with music. That's a whole other ball of wax.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:07 AM

well said....
Old 03-14-2004, 03:05 PM

since I was the one who started this thread, I think its only right to say, that max'n out, you really havent had anything productive to say. Just because the box is too big for you, doesnt mean its a bad useless box. By looking at your setup, I can tell that my max basses more than you, but maybe you're not all about bass, I dont judge you on that. That being said, if you dont have amp rack suggestions, as asked since post #1, then dont bother posting please. You you gave one idea, but as if I'm goign to listen to you and redo my whole system. I aksed the question so it can be done around the space I have now. you have each other emails, go have fun emailing each other
First I'd bet your wrong, no i'm not into it but its still part of compeating so it has to do certain amounts of SPL. 2nd i tried to help you get tons of room back and have a nice simple rack mount setup, you just didn't like it. So has Jmax. I know you don't wanna toss the box cuz you paid "good money for it" I understand that, but somtimes it best to start over b4 you get too deep into it and have to toss all that. With that said. YOu should get off teh forum, come up with some ideas, and go talk to an installer. Not a knock, but more will be acumplished.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:56 PM

I mounted my amps under my front seats......why don't you try that?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 96jerzeymax
I mounted my amps under my front seats......why don't you try that?
I was going to ask the exact same thing. I *think* an 18" wide amp will fit in between the seat rails. I installed a 17 1/2" wide amp between them with enough room on each side for me not to worry. Power wire is much shorter, you can ground to the seat bolts, and the speaker wires go straight back so that they avoid the power wire. You might have to cut away the carpet and padding, depending on the height of the amp, but you should be able to make it fit.

Plus, you'll have them in a better controlled environment, and they won't see as much shock from bumps.

If you do this, you won't have to worry about removing them or gaining access to a spare tire or pass thru.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 AM

I like the idea, Ive thought of it before, and also, its good for an "anti-theft" place. The thing is, I have my power inverter under my driver seat and my PS2 under my passenger seat. Where would I be able to put those?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Jedi Knight

Devon..pics of my amp rack progress

Quick Reply: Amp rack suggestions