Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stereo Wiring

Im trying to replace an aftermarket tape player that whoever had the car before me had in it, with an aftermarket cd player....ordinarily it wouldnt be a problem just plugging in the harness and popping the cd player in...BUT...the ppl that had it before me had it horribly "rigged" and had the stock adapters that the harness plugged in cut up and different wires taped together....So I was wondering if any of you knew maybe if there was a way to straight wire the cd player i guess...because im not sure there is any hope for these wires...Once again any info would be appreciated...
Thanks
Josh
Old 03-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

about the best bet would be to go to a junk yard and cut the harnesses out of a wrecked max and match up the wire color code.

Solder and shrinkwrap (or tape or crimp...whatever you are used to...solder is best though) those in.

Then get an aftermarket wiring harness to hook up to your radio and plug it up.

I would fix the factory wiring though and not just wire the new radio in...JMHO.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:27 PM

If you have a voltmeter you can trace the wires as to what they are, I believe the yellow wire is all time hot straight from the battery, the red wire is the auxulary activated by the switch, black is ground duh. then there are 8 speaker wires which using the voltmeter, you can find out which ones are pairs, i think theres an illumination wire, an antenna wire, if you have an amp theres a wire for that oh and a power antenna wire almost forgot about that one. If you have any questions about tracing wires you can give me an IM at psubird83. Or if you need help on how to use a voltmeter