Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Parastic drain....help please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 11:45 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

my car wont start if i dont drive it for 1 day. Ive killed 3 batteries in maybe 6 months now. Luckily i get to borrow them from work...hehehahaa
here is my prob, i have a big parastic drain, over 900mA. It seems most of it is in the stereo system. I think its the capacitor. We rewired my gauges and the drain dropped about 200mA. Its still too much tho. I think specs is under 200mA. Help anyone? thanks!
Old 03-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What else could possibly be on when the car is off? If the cap is kinda old and dying then it could be losing what is stored and causing the drain. You could always have it tested. We used to do it in my circuits class, but I would think a stereo shop would need to check it for a capacitance that big. I think they just charge it up, get a reading and then check it about 5-10 minutes later, there is a certain spec that it can lose in the time when not connected to anything.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:33 PM

thanks Garth,

it seems pretty good rite now. We rewired my Apexi gauges and the drain is alot lower now. Hopefully no more probs but if i do ill be posting again...heeh
Old 03-19-2001, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NP. . . Glad to hear it is better, although if it sit for any long period of time it still might be a concern. . . How did the gagues effect the current drain when the car was off? Did something stay on that wasn't supposed to?
Old 03-19-2001, 11:28 PM

well, red wire was for the backlighting, that was hooked up to ignition power, yellow wire was hooked up to constant. I figured it was for the memory for Peak, warning and other features. We went over the diagrams again and it didnt seem like we needed to have it hooked up to Constant. We checked the drain on the 3 gauges alone and it was over 200mA. Rewired Yellow to ignition power, tested the memory and it was still ok, so now its much better....