Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alarm shock sensor- why sensetive in some places and not others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:36 PM

Alarm shock sensor- why sensetive in some places and not others?

I have a Viper 690XV responder and the shock sensor is zip tied to a bundle of wires under the steering wheel, I have the sensetivity screw turned almost a quarter turn counter-clockwise from the middle setting.

The thing is that my trunk is SUPER sensetive(I can barely tap it and it warn chirps) but the doors and other parts of the car isnt, I can bang on it hard and it wont warn me at all unless I hit it harder but then it would be useless. If I set the sensetivity more then it will work as I like it but then the trunk will be even more sensetive and would probably go off every loud car or stereo that passes.I dont want my remote to page me everytime it goes off from parking next to a loud muscle car or harley.
Anyone have any advise? where do you all ahve your shock sensors mounted? hoe sensetive (screw position) is yours set?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:17 PM

The cord bundle is a popular spot for shock sensor. You can also relocate it to the actual steering wheel column. That way, you can detect if someone is trying to jack your wheels. I have mine set to half mark since it becomes too sensitive when I go above that and I hate false alarms. You may also want to add a glass break sensor to your alarm if you don't already have one.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:41 PM

you know anything about proximity sensors? like if it detects someone standing too close it will warn? anyone know of prices for these things?
Old 03-28-2004, 07:12 AM

they run for about $30-40, im about to put one, make sure you get teh DEI one 2stage if not it will go off without warning the person those are annoying....
Old 03-30-2004, 09:22 PM

Maybe you can try mounting the shock sensor somplace a bit more solid. I can't think why being as far back as the trunk would effect it so much, and being closer would effect it so little, but there again, it's very sensetive to minute vibrations, and being zip tied to a bunch of wires, might make it more sensetive in that regard. I like the idea of the steering columb mount, that's cool, I might try that when I get around to putting my alarm in my Max

Proximity sensors are nice, especially if you've got a window part way down or sunroof open or something like that...someone sticks their hand in there and hello, Christmas time. I guess they vary from sensor to sensor, but they can be a pain to get set properly. Have it too sensetive, and every time someone parks next to you in a parking lot, 2 stage or not, and it sets off the alarm. Have it turned down to much, and you have to have half your body in the car before it will go off. One thing I've found good for testing the setting, is because it measured increased volume, not motion, sticking your arm in front of the car and moving it around doesn't really do anything...cross an arm into the area, and then keep going until you hear it sound, keeping your arm rather motionless, except for the forward motion. Irratic moving kind of screws up the volumetric sensor reading, so you won't get the right setting. Oh, and another thing that's a pain, is in the fall, leaves and other things will blow across the cowl, and set the thing off, so watch for that.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:13 PM

how hard are the prox sensors to install? is it something that plugs into the brain? or is it simply spliced into the sirene and has its own power source?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:48 PM

bumpers .