Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

XM Radio- Fm Modulator or Cassette adapter???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:47 PM

XM Radio- Fm Modulator or Cassette adapter???

Anyone have expererience using the Delphi FM Modulator for hooking up their XM SkiFi radio on their 97-98 Max Bose system? Is the sound quality worth the cost/install hassle over just using the cassette adapter?
Also, which antenna adapter was used for the differential Bose antenna system, if you installed the DELPHI hard-wired FM Modulator?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bgohan
Anyone have expererience using the Delphi FM Modulator for hooking up their XM SkiFi radio on their 97-98 Max Bose system? Is the sound quality worth the cost/install hassle over just using the cassette adapter?
Also, which antenna adapter was used for the differential Bose antenna system, if you installed the DELPHI hard-wired FM Modulator?
Go with the FM modulator. It will sound the same as a cassette and look a lot better without wires dangling all over the place. You will need 2 antenna adapters. One to go from factory to the modulator and the other to go from the modulator back to factory. You can pick em up at circuit city, best buy, or any car stereo shop. (model numbers at circuit city: met 40ni10 and met 40ni20)

- The Chad
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to waste $45 only to find out the FM modulator did not work on the Bose.
I dont know who designed the Delphi XM receivers, but they did a lousy job on the hook-ups. Maybe they'll get it right next time. The Commanders are nice stand-alone XM units, but like using my XM in the house, garage, car, and in my truck, all for one subscription price.

Some of the Sirus units are designed with a neat & clean installation in mind, and some even have FM modulators (wireless) built in. I would have bought a Sirius unit, but did not because the cost is higher.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:20 AM

Hey you can't cut up on XM, there systems are pretty nice. I love mine. If your really wanted to do something nice, get rid of the bose system and put in a whole new one like i did, then the modulator will work
Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 AM

I like the way the Xm radio works. I like the programming too. I just think the design of the Delphi SkyFI does not fit on with most car interiors. It's too big, and the orange display color is ugly. The button are too small, and the **** is not intuitive. And $69 for a home or car adapter? Come on! I know: I have a SkyFi.

The Roady design is in the right direction. Smaller package, no special adapters required, 7 screen colors, and changeable colored housing.

Maybe by the next revision, they will add a touch screen, provide a better mounting system, a built in modulator, a fold-out stand for home use, and a steering wheel remote.

XM is still losing money due to not enough customers. If they designed a smarter, more affordable universal package for the car, and home use that the end user can install, more people would subscribe.

Directv gives their dish and box away to new customers. Heck, a TIVO is only $99 now. Why can't Delphi do something similar? Out of capital?
-B
PS:
By the way, why pay $100 for a boombox, when you can hook it up to those old powered computer speakers many of us have sitting in our closets? I have a set-up in my bedroom and garage, plus I hook the SkyFi up to my home stereo and both rigs. I get my $10 worth.

Originally Posted by Psubird83
Hey you can't cut up on XM, there systems are pretty nice. I love mine. If your really wanted to do something nice, get rid of the bose system and put in a whole new one like i did, then the modulator will work
Old 05-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will be installing a Delphi FM Modulator myself soon and have a question regarding where to pickup its +12volt input. Instead of powering this unit whenever the car is running, can I instead run the modulator's red +12V input wire to the Bose Unit's 'antenna up' wire (that is the wire that sends 12v to the relay to raise the antenna)? That way the modulator only gets power when the BOSE HU is on, AND the BOSE radio is selected! Good idea?
I think the only issue would be, can this existing circuit handle the one amp additional draw for the modulator?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by hurleybob
I will be installing a Delphi FM Modulator myself soon and have a question regarding where to pickup its +12volt input. Instead of powering this unit whenever the car is running, can I instead run the modulator's red +12V input wire to the Bose Unit's 'antenna up' wire (that is the wire that sends 12v to the relay to raise the antenna)? That way the modulator only gets power when the BOSE HU is on, AND the BOSE radio is selected! Good idea?
I think the only issue would be, can this existing circuit handle the one amp additional draw for the modulator?

The Delphi modulator is "off" until the XM Radio is turned on. The modulator then switched "on", and cuts off external antenna signal. So, there is no need for external switch or to hook it to antenna power wire as ypu suggested. The modulator gets hot when on,s o mount it appropriatly.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bgohan
The Delphi modulator is "off" until the XM Radio is turned on. The modulator then switched "on", and cuts off external antenna signal. So, there is no need for external switch or to hook it to antenna power wire as ypu suggested. The modulator gets hot when on,s o mount it appropriatly.
Thanks for the response. I just mounted/wired the modulator today in fact and ran the RED to the RED on the audio amp relay (figured at least that way I only power the modulator and XM Radio when BOSE is powered on.
I also added a micro switch to the Antenna Up wire.. just need to find a neat out of the way place to locate the switch now. (don't like to see the stock antenna up when tuning XM).

How hot does the modulator get? I just tucked it up under the console. Hot enough to melt a wire harness? Hope not, Delphi did not warn of any such danger.
Bob