Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

6-3/4 Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:18 PM

6-3/4 Speakers

It seems that this is the size of speakers that Maxima's use. My question is would 6-1/2 work as that size is much easier to find.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by XaMMax
It seems that this is the size of speakers that Maxima's use. My question is would 6-1/2 work as that size is much easier to find.
yes, they mount perfectly
Old 04-09-2004, 07:43 PM

Depends on the manufaturer, some make the their 6 1/2" speakers with a bigger mounting area, but not all. Go to www.cruthchfield.com and see what fits your car. Put in you information and only speakers that fit our cars will come up(of course only the ones they sell, but they have many manufacturers whose components they sell). If you buy from them, and you really want a 6 1/2 that may be to small, they will give you free brackets that will allow you to use the 6 1/2" speakers. I had some infinity's that were 6 1/2 and I made brackets for them because they were too small.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:14 PM

You could get better sound if you custom drill in some 6X9s

Before:

After:

I have Infinitys
Old 04-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Tyrexx how did you, and what did you use to cut out the metal?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:30 AM

you have to trace the 6X9 speakers then tape the template to the car, then use anything to cut it, It's a sabre saw or jigsaw, I broke like 5 blades but it's worth it, even with stock wattage my infinitys beat! I'll be getting an amp soon because my speakers can take 200 watts each.

Looks kinda like this...
Old 04-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Actually reproduction of sound is typically meant to come from a round driver. Being that 6X9s are oval "better sound" would be subjective. Louder, maybe. But better....

--Don

BTW..Tin snips or aviation cutters may do that cutting job a bit easier.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:10 AM

Good sound is subjective, as Pearl96Max has stated. If you are after sound quality your best bet would be to spend most of your speaker money for really nice front speakers and some decent rear speakers. Adding a sub will take a great deal of stress from the smaller speaker as they will no longer have to play low frequencies and thus will be able to play at much higher volume levels(provided that you have them crossedover at something above 80Hz). I had the factory speakers in the back until they blew out. I then replaced them with some Polk MM components that I had laying around. The rear speakers in my installation are just for rear fill. My 4ch amp is putting out a little over 100watts RMS to the front components and 50 or so to the rear components. I like to have a front sound stage, and with my processor I can use the time delay function to make the speakers equidistant from me and it allows me "to put" the singer right in front of the steering wheel and the different instruments playing at different locations on the dash around the singer(I did not want to make custom kick panels for aiming the front components for the soundstage so I used the processor instead). If you are after nice & loud music, with a little bit of bass, without a sub, and do not care about a soundstage go with the 6x9's in the back and some 6 3/4 or 6 1/2 in the front, you can still use the fader to balance the sound more towards the front, but still get punchy bass from the 6x9's. This was the setup that I had when I first got into car audio, as I remember it could get pretty loud .
Old 04-10-2004, 02:48 PM

What the hell is a crossover? Sorry I am fairly illiterate when it comes to audio.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:13 PM

A crossover is basically a filter. It is either a high pass, lowpass, or bandpass filter. What that means is that if a crossover is a highpass crossover and you set the frequency cutoff to say 100Hz, it will only allow the frequencies above 100Hz to pass to the speakers, this is helpful when you do not want to overdrive the speakers with too much low frequency information/music (this allows you to turn up the same speakers at to a higher level without them distorting as they were not meant to play very low frequencies). If it was set for lowpass at 100HZ it would only let the frequencies below 100Hz get to the speakers, in this case it would be a subwoofer. A bandpass would be for like a midrange speaker. In my set up the amp has the crossover set at 80Hz highpass, and the crossover that came with my component set(made up of a midrange and a tweeter) has a low pass crossover for the mid at 3.5Khz and a high pass for the tweeter at the same frequency. This means that my midrange speaker is only playing sounds/frequencies between 80Hz to 3,500Hz, after 3.5KHz my tweeters take over.

Here is how most people do this, it is somewhat oversimplified, but may be helpful for understanding this:

Woofer: For playing very low frequencies, usually below 100Hz or so.

Midrange: Picks up where the subwoofer stops. Then plays up to a certain frequency, usually between 3KHz to 5Khz.

Tweeter: This driver picks up where the midrange stops. It will play to frequencies beyond the scope of human hearing, which is about 20KHz.

Some people also add midbass speakers, but the subwoofer/midrange/tweeter combo is more common. The reason people have this setup is that there is not one speaker that can faithfully reproduce the full spectrum of human hearing 20Hz to 20,000Hz. Each speaker is desinged to do one thing well, which is to play only within a certain range of frequencies. The crossovers allow your system (speakers) to play with much more efficieny, only sending the frequencies to each speaker that it was desinged to play. www.crutchfield has some good reading on their website pertaining to getting good sound in your car, it is also a helpful website for learning much of what is important in car audio. They may be more helpful than me in explaining what crossovers do. Good luck with you install. If you have any other questions, go ahead and PM me.