Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Carbon Fiber Trunk Encloseur

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 12:03 AM

Carbon Fiber Trunk Encloseur

i am starting my redux of my sound system and had ideas of having a complete custom installation. i was going to create a new box and custom mount the ams, subs, and all into my trunk. now instead of just using the normal encloseur carpet like material or vinyl(sp?) to add the finishing touches i wanted to use carbon fiber material to give it that unique look.(still havent seen carbon fiber in the trunk on other cars) now id like to know if anyone has a how to, on how to complete this and does anybody know where to purchase sheets of carbon fiber. i know that CF is a soft material untill the polymer is added to it so id just like to know where i can get the material. I have my buddy coming down from school to help me and he is pretty good at doing custom fiber glass encloseurs so im sure he can do the CF with no problem. any input would be gladly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im actually getting this done to my box
Old 04-16-2004, 07:36 AM
jmax

CF is a bit tougher to work with. Sounds like you just want it for aesthetics, not structure. You first need to find a resin that will cure clear. Generally epoxy resin is used for carbon because it's the toughest. But for your appication that isn't necessary. One problem of epoxy resin is it is not UV resistant. Several layers of polyurethane need to cover it to protect from the sun. Also, you can buy carbon that is already saturated for flat panels. Something newer on the consumer market is liquid acrylic. Basically a two part plexiglass resin. I havn't seen it and don't know the process but it should be available from the larger fiberglass online shops. Another consideration is the weave of the fabric and fiber count. Different weaves are used for different applications. And they have different "looks"and differing structural properties.

www.fiberlay.com
www.fibreglast.com
www.shopmaninc.com
www.selectproducts.com
Tsunami or Fishman are the ones I know who have liquid acrylic.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:33 PM

yea im using it mainly fot looks, everyhing will be reenforced by other means, i just wanted to add the CF for a look. thanx for all that info jmax
Old 04-17-2004, 09:39 PM

i checked out the sites and would like to know just about how much CF will i need to complete the entire trunk. im doing the box and the inside of the trunk.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:11 PM
jmax

I encourage you to employ a tape measure. You should only need the top layer to be carbon. Consider where you will have seems and curves.