Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

not impressed w/Eclipse Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 10:04 PM
vqman

not impressed w/Eclipse Head Unit

Bought the CD8053, had it installed with an 8 disc changer, running Boston's front and Boston's rear, a Diamond 10" sub...

I am seriously considering pulling it and selling it on ebay.

I have an old Pioneer DEH-M990DSP that is collecting dust, and I recently found (and bought) and old Pioneer "M-Bus" 6 disc changer.

I think I might drop it back in....it was killer back in the day..

I'm just worried about cosmetics. Will the 1994 built cd player look weird in my 2003 Titanium Edition Maxima?

I think so, but I really like that old thing..

advice?

-vq

Old 04-17-2004, 11:13 PM
jmax

What is wrong with the 8053?

The only problem I have had with older headunits is that frequently the display is not bright enough.

Old 04-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I have been considering an Eclipse HU, what sort of issues are you having with yours?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Back from Hibernation

some of the new Eclipe Head units are so versatile, with pretty flexible crossovers and parametric EQ's, that make outboard processing unnessary and will make installs much simpler. Are you using HU power and dissapointed with that? Many use amps for all their speakers so that won't come into play.

Are you saying you notice a difference in sound? skipping? I'd definately like to know whats up. The newer eclipses are getting good reviews, and like I said, are so great for somebody that wants to have a lot of control of their system up front at the head unit and doesn't want to splurge for the Pioneer HU Processor combo (P9 I think) or Alpine high price stuff.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:29 AM

VQ...that 8053 should more than suffice! What the heck don't you like about it?

Tony
Old 04-18-2004, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
VQ...that 8053 should more than suffice! What the heck don't you like about it?

Tony
yea i gotta hear this...i have never ever heard anyone have a problem with an eclipse head unit. the unit does have a ton of adjustments that can be made though, such as time alignment and such...are you sure everything is set properly?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:44 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Axiously waiting to hear this one as well...I sell several of them a month and never once get a complaint/problem.

--Don
Old 04-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my Eclipse HU except the sound sucks right now cause I'm running the HU on stock Bose speakers and amp.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:22 AM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by MacAlert
I love my Eclipse HU except the sound sucks right now cause I'm running the HU on stock Bose speakers and amp.
So when are you going back to Don to get the rest of your stuff?

I've never heard of a complaint about an Eclipse HU either
Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
So when are you going back to Don to get the rest of your stuff?

I've never heard of a complaint about an Eclipse HU either
Beats me, parents are not giving me money for this one. All I can say is, my parents Dodge Caravan has more bass then my car.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Beats me, parents are not giving me money for this one. All I can say is, my parents Dodge Caravan has more bass then my car.
that's probably because your parents don't have blose
Old 04-18-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
that's probably because your parents don't have blose
They don't listen to music, so they don't care.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:02 PM

I too am very curious to hear this Ive never heard any complaints about and Eclipse HU. I have the 8443 and dont have one negative thing to say about it so
Old 04-18-2004, 02:09 PM

ill give you 20 bucks for it plus ill throw in my super-nice pioneer HU! come on man its a great deal
Old 04-18-2004, 03:15 PM

i would like to hear this also. maybe he hasnt tuned it right yet?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:56 PM

I have to hear this....this is a first.....

BTW dont expect that outdated HU to sound much better- if you cant make a system sound good with any 8v Eclipse model- its time to start looking at your settings/ tunings or other components at fault
Old 04-18-2004, 05:03 PM

The thing that puzzels me is that hes got pretty much all top of the line stuff. His components are BostonZ's front/back. Which btw I recall you stating you werny impressed with either
Something has to be wrong but at this point, im as is every1 else VQ.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:16 PM

What are u nuts?

8053 is probably one of the best head units that i have ever had....even though i am selling it now lol....but its because i bought the avx2404 which i am also selling to get the AVN...but anyhow the 8053 game my car an extra boost in sound....if anyone wants input on it just ask DON that unit freakin rocked!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:20 PM

As far as the product itself is concerned...Its the bowler not the ball....

Thats all that I can think of here.

--Don
Old 04-18-2004, 10:47 PM
vqman

The set up sounds good, don't get me wrong, but not really better than previous systems...no skipping, nothing is "wrong" with it, it just isn't giving me the extra sound quality I was expecting. Time alignment has been set up by the installers (authorized Eclipse dealer - KC Trends in ... Kansas City) and I know how to tune a stereo to sound the way I want it..

It sounds good, but just not good enough to be worth having spent $550 on it.

I heard all the praise for these, and with Boston Z6's in the front, and Boston Pro Series 5 1/4s in the rear...a Diamond 10" sub... I was expecting it to sound better than "lesser" previous systems.

I didn't notice much of a difference.

I think I can get $300 to $350 for it on ebay...as I have the box and receipt still.

It's not that my old Pioneer DEH-M990DSP sounded better, the difference isn't that noticeable. It also had a built in EQ.

The Eclipse is harder to see than the old Pioneer was, but the main thing I don't like is that the Eclipse's buttons are super sensitive. I guess I'm getting used to it.

I guess it's just not giving me what I expected. From what everyone was saying, I thought it was going to be musical nirvana, but spending the money (when I already had a good unit) proved to be a waste.

The Pioneer DEH-M990DSP was a BAD A$$ cd player in its day...the only downside is that it only has 2 RCA preouts. MSRP on the Pioneer DEH-M990DSP was like $850-900, and this is back in 1994. So you know it was a killer HU.

Plus the Pioneer is easier to operate, and its free (well, paid for anyway, it cost me a fortune when I bought it back in '94, i was only 20)

-vq

Old 04-18-2004, 11:49 PM

Well I can certainly understand your point of view and it does make sense, but IMO these days the 8053 is about as high end as you can go be4 you step upto flip screen.
It just sucks that you had to buy it & lose money on it. The 8443 is usually more then enough for 95% of the people out there.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:55 PM

hmmm. if i was in the market for a h/u id pick that up real quik.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
hmmm. if i was in the market for a h/u id pick that up real quik.
definetly. A slightly used 8053 for $350 is a killer deal.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:00 AM

i think my friend would buy it but hes getting a 9600 for $350.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Well I can certainly understand your point of view and it does make sense, but IMO these days the 8053 is about as high end as you can go be4 you step upto flip screen.
What does "high end" have to do with flip screens?

Tony
Old 04-19-2004, 05:29 AM

VQ I think you need to take some time to adjust to the new HU. That HU was one of the best I have owned especially with all the features and functions. Give it a couple months and get used to it, I think you will enjoy it. Do you use it is EXPERT/Professional mode (I think that is the nomenclature).
Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
What does "high end" have to do with flip screens?

Tony
I was wondering the same thing, but I figured he was referring more to price range...

-Don
Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dohcser
VQ I think you need to take some time to adjust to the new HU. That HU was one of the best I have owned especially with all the features and functions. Give it a couple months and get used to it, I think you will enjoy it. Do you use it is EXPERT/Professional mode (I think that is the nomenclature).

Well if he had the TA set then hes in ProMode

--Don
Old 04-19-2004, 05:49 AM

What amp is being used in this setup?

--Don
Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
The set up sounds good, don't get me wrong, but not really better than previous systems...no skipping, nothing is "wrong" with it, it just isn't giving me the extra sound quality I was expecting. Time alignment has been set up by the installers (authorized Eclipse dealer - KC Trends in ... Kansas City) and I know how to tune a stereo to sound the way I want it..

It sounds good, but just not good enough to be worth having spent $550 on it.
$550 for any decent quality CD player isn't bad. Heck, I've spent between $800-$1400 on the last 2 players I've owned. Nak CD-700 & Sony CDX-C90. I really don't think you're gonna be any happier with the Pioneer to be honest...at least in terms of SQ.

I heard all the praise for these, and with Boston Z6's in the front, and Boston Pro Series 5 1/4s in the rear...a Diamond 10" sub... I was expecting it to sound better than "lesser" previous systems.

I didn't notice much of a difference.
I'd bet you anything your system is not properly installed and/or tweaked. Unless something's wrong with the player that is.

I think I can get $300 to $350 for it on ebay...as I have the box and receipt still.
I'll mail you a check for $300 right now if you really want to sell it.

It's not that my old Pioneer DEH-M990DSP sounded better, the difference isn't that noticeable. It also had a built in EQ.

The Eclipse is harder to see than the old Pioneer was, but the main thing I don't like is that the Eclipse's buttons are super sensitive. I guess I'm getting used to it.

I guess it's just not giving me what I expected. From what everyone was saying, I thought it was going to be musical nirvana, but spending the money (when I already had a good unit) proved to be a waste.
I hear you there! There's nothing like being happy with a particular setup and then going out and spending money becuase it's SUPPOSED to sound better and find that it doesn't. I still say the Eclipse shouldn't be to blame though.

The Pioneer DEH-M990DSP was a BAD A$$ cd player in its day...the only downside is that it only has 2 RCA preouts. MSRP on the Pioneer DEH-M990DSP was like $850-900, and this is back in 1994. So you know it was a killer HU.

Plus the Pioneer is easier to operate, and its free (well, paid for anyway, it cost me a fortune when I bought it back in '94, i was only 20)

-vq
Sounds like you should keep the Pioneer. Nothing means anything like being happy when you hear your music...regardless of what brand name is on the box.

Tony
Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 AM

Wait, I have Time Alignment in regular mode?!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:50 AM
jmax

I don't know why anyone would expect one headunit to sound "better" than another. 99.9% of better sound is achieved with speakers. 95% of that improvement is because of speaker placement, aiming, and integration with the vehicle interior.

There are definite improvements that can be had from a high quality headunit like the Eclipse. But you aren't going to notice them if you don't know what to listen for. I would pay $550 for the Eclipse if it didn't have all the BS bells and whistles. With that BS it's just another pretty face worth no more than any other $100 headunit.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:16 AM

I agree with Jmax on this one. It is nearly impossible to hear the minor differences between two headunits. The only things to look for are features, functionality, looks, and reliability. The rest of your setup will really determine the quality of the sound.

You might go the other way around, though. Sell your Pioneer. It is a 10 year old headunit and it is only a matter of time till something goes out on it.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 AM

-vq
Dude you paid too much money to not be happy with your install. Go back to the authorized Eclipse dealer and explain to them how you are not happy and ask them to tweak it for you. If they are a good place they will help you out. If they are not co-operative then I would ask for your install money back.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
Dude you paid too much money to not be happy with your install. Go back to the authorized Eclipse dealer and explain to them how you are not happy and ask them to tweak it for you. If they are a good place they will help you out. If they are not co-operative then I would ask for your install money back.
I still dont understand what "Eclipse" has to do with him not being impressed with his system
Old 04-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Disco Biscuit

VQMan, dont feel bad. I had an Eclipse unit, and wasnt impressed with it either. Ended up replacng it with a Clarion Pro Audio that sounded just as good, and half the price.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:43 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
I'm not "unhappy", I'm just not impressed. The Eclipse got a lot of "good press" and it isnt' all that special. The 8 volt preouts are sending a cleaner signal to my amp, which is decreasing distortion, but...I don't know....

I was expecting something spectacular...

I guess my systems have always been spectacular, but I was expecting to go a couple of notches beyond that...

about the Head Unit not making the thing sound any better.....

in my home theatre (also Boston Speakers) I went from a Sony Receiver to a Yamaha (like "top of the line Yamaha you can get at Best Buy - so basically a mid level Yamaha) and it sounds much cleaner..

A head unit can make a difference in how the same speaker sound..

-vq

Old 04-19-2004, 04:02 PM

I am have not had any experience with the new eclipse models but I have the older head unit like the 5443 i think thats the number and i love everything about it. It especially how you can tune the sub out volume rather than doing it the ghetto fartford fosgate way with a **** to the rear amp.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Back from Hibernation

The thing that puts this head unit in such high regard is it's tuning possibilities. Crossovers/eQ/time alignment...very flexible. This is a great option for others who would use outboard processors. IMO if thats not being taken advantage of, this head unit isn't going to make dramatic differences.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:05 AM

I'm not "unhappy", I'm just not impressed. The Eclipse got a lot of "good press" and it isnt' all that special. The 8 volt preouts are sending a cleaner signal to my amp, which is decreasing distortion, but...I don't know....

I was expecting something spectacular...

I guess my systems have always been spectacular, but I was expecting to go a couple of notches beyond that...

about the Head Unit not making the thing sound any better.....

in my home theatre (also Boston Speakers) I went from a Sony Receiver to a Yamaha (like "top of the line Yamaha you can get at Best Buy - so basically a mid level Yamaha) and it sounds much cleaner..

A head unit can make a difference in how the same speaker sound..

-vq
yea a head unit technically "can" make the same set of speakers sound better, but most likely that wont happen....the biggest difference you would hear would be in a different set of speakers...that usually makes a dramatic difference..the eclipse units use some newer technology that other companies don't use because it is expensive...the biggest improvement they made was a new DA (digital to analog) converter....also the 55 ohm output impedance on the RCA outputs is the lowest i have seen on any brand...forget the 8volt pre out voltage...i'm more impressed with lower impedence...you pay for sound fidelity, and for newer, more expensive analog and digital design....i dunno..that's my 2 cents

Quick Reply: not impressed w/Eclipse Head Unit