Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how to wire up capacitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 AM

how to wire up capacitor

i was wondering the best way to wire up a capacitor.. i have a 1 farad with digital cap.. i had it hooked up and didnt notice much differnce in power or dimming lights.. i lost the resistor used when charging it.. what kind should i use? i have resistors used with my LED's that look the same as the one it came with will those work? thank you
Old 05-12-2004, 12:50 PM

I would ONLY use the resistor that it comes with. This thing is a real battery and CAN explode. I would not take it lightly. When i make any minor changed to my power wire, I uncharge my cap and unhook my battery. Consult your company that you bought it from to see what they say. REMEMBER THIS IS A REAL BATTERY!! We had a discussion on a sg forum about it blowing up like a pipe bomb.... Good luck.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by image
I would ONLY use the resistor that it comes with. This thing is a real battery and CAN explode. I would not take it lightly. When i make any minor changed to my power wire, I uncharge my cap and unhook my battery. Consult your company that you bought it from to see what they say. REMEMBER THIS IS A REAL BATTERY!! We had a discussion on a sg forum about it blowing up like a pipe bomb.... Good luck.
a "REAL BATTERY!!!!" ??? where the heck do you get your information from man? a capacitor is in no way, shape, or form, a battery. If you have no idea what you are talking about then just say so, or don't bother posting. This is the exact reason why people on the internet are so mis-informed about things like this. you can use a different resistor if you want to. in fact, you don't need to use a resistor at all. all you need is a 12V light bulb in line with the power wire. i preferr the light bulb method since you dont have to monitor the cap with a volt meter like when you use the resistor method. all you have to do is wait for the light to go out, thats how you know the cap is done charging. i have yet to ever see or hear of a cap blowing up like a pipe bomb. the worst that would happen is it would leak. if you do use a resistor, use 1/2 watt resistor (100 ohms) should be fine. remember that when charging through a resistor and monitoring it's voltage with the volt meter, that as the voltage increases it increases at a slower rate, so don't be alarmed that it's taking a while...this is just how they charge/discharge. and if you want to get technical, they never fully charge are discharge, but they get very close to it.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:38 AM

+1 with friendhasmax
Old 05-13-2004, 07:20 AM

Im getting my information of of the streetglow message board. From what i thought it was accurate. I appologize if it wasn't......
Old 05-13-2004, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by image
Im getting my information of of the streetglow message board. From what i thought it was accurate. I appologize if it wasn't......
its ok.......
Old 05-13-2004, 08:16 AM

Though a capacitor can pop and sort of blow up (I have dont this with a 2500 micro farad electrolitic capacitor) but i dont see it being a danger. I did this in the electronics lab when i was in college. It smelled bad but nothing major. Also the hever charging and never discharging that was talked about is called cliping. the capacitor is considered a voltage source that comes on when there is a drop in the voltage (i.e. AC power). With AC power it keep the power much more linear. It sort of straightens out the Sinusoidal wave.(sort of) This clipping could happen when your system hits really hard or something that causing a dip in the voltage. The the capacitor has a draw on it which makes it release some of its stored energy (e.g. battery) at a certain rate which helps to slow the sudden drop in current until the battery and alternator can recover. The only major thing that could go wrong with the capacitor is either it shorting out and killing you (yes if it has a high enough capitance it can kill) and it popping and maybe blowing up. It is definately not a wet battery like the one in our cars. You are not going to get acid on you or anything crazy like that. I mean it is a solid battery so it could exploid but the only thing that might hurt you is a small piece of metal.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Luquire
Though a capacitor can pop and sort of blow up (I have dont this with a 2500 micro farad electrolitic capacitor) but i dont see it being a danger. I did this in the electronics lab when i was in college. It smelled bad but nothing major. Also the hever charging and never discharging that was talked about is called cliping. the capacitor is considered a voltage source that comes on when there is a drop in the voltage (i.e. AC power). With AC power it keep the power much more linear. It sort of strantens out the Sinusoidal wave.(sort of) The only major thing that could go wrong with the capacitor is either it shorting out and killing you (yes if it has a high enough capitance it can kill) and it popping and maybe blowing up. It is definately not a wet battery like the one in our cars. You are not going to get acid on you or anything crazy like that. I mean it is a solid battery so it could exploid but the only thing that might hurt you is a small piece of metal.

here we go again:

"I mean it is a solid battery so it could exploid but the only thing that might hurt you is a small piece of metal."

NO! IT IS NOT A BATTERY OF ANY SORT!!!!

"Also the hever charging and never discharging that was talked about is called cliping."

THIS IS NOT CLIPPING. CAPACITOR CHARGING/DISCHARGING IS MATHEMATICALLY AN EXPONENTIAL GROWTH/DECAY FUNCTION. IT CHARGES UP
TO THE SAME VOLTAGE AS THE SOUCE VOLTAGE ASYMPTOTICALLY (MEANING IT APPROACHES THE SOURCE VOLTAGE BUT NEVER ATTAINS IT....SAME WITH DISCHARGING...IT WILL ASYMPTOTICALLY REACH ZERO VOLTS BUT NEVER ACTUALLY GET THERE.

FREAKIN CLIPPING? WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD? THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLIPPING. AND AC?? NO ONE IS SPEAKING OF CAPACITORS IN AC CIRCUITS...THIS DISCUSSION IS ABOUT DC. CAPACITORS DO NOT STORE ENERGY IN AC CIRCUITS LIKE THEY DO IN DC. DAMMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!!

I HATE GOING OVER THIS CRAP OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:41 AM

I know all about the timing function of e^1/(tau*c). so dont think i am talking out of my A$$.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:57 AM

Why would the cap explode when you hook it to a car battery. I could see if you were going over the 80V threshold for that cap, but not at 12. A cap is meant to charge and discharge, it's what they do. For a 1F cap I never even bother to charge them before installing them and have yet to have a problem. I could see if you were installing 4 or 5F worth of caps, then I would understand bringing them up to 12V slowly would protect the fuses and battery (car battery, don't flame).

Now If you insist on using the resistor method all you need to do is calculate the proper R value. Going back to electronics 101 P=IV and V=IR; therefore P=V^2/R. Now figure the resistor will initially see the full 12V as the cap will act as a short at first, so for a 1/2 Watt resistor .5W=12^2/R. Solving for R you get R=288 Ohms. I would make sure you use a 1/2 Watt resistor that is at least 300 Ohms or you will really burn your fingers trying to hold that resistor.

BTW double check my math, it's been a long time since I used this stuff.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by shane12286
i was wondering the best way to wire up a capacitor.. i have a 1 farad with digital cap.. i had it hooked up and didnt notice much differnce in power or dimming lights.. i lost the resistor used when charging it.. what kind should i use? i have resistors used with my LED's that look the same as the one it came with will those work? thank you
Did you ever discharge it? If not it probably still has a charge on it.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:32 AM

Can you discharge a capacitor by placing a load speaker) on it without there being any power source(i.e. car battery) or do you just let it discharge over time after unplugging it.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:58 AM

Can you discharge a capacitor by placing a load speaker) on it without there being any power source(i.e. car battery) or do you just let it discharge over time after unplugging it.
Don't use a speaker as a load. But, yes, that would discharge the cap. Just kinda expensive if it goes wrong. Again I would use a 300-500 Ohm 1/2W resistor. But I have also used wrenches, screwdrives, the chassis of my car, etc. I don't recommend any of those either, but they do work.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not to break up this technical discussion here, but i think shane12286 was just asking how to hook up his cap properly. Now all this technical info on how they work is great but some just tell this guy if he hooked his cap up right or not.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:29 AM

I know all about the timing function of e^1/(tau*c). so dont think i am talking out of my A$$.
you have no idea what you are talking about. if you actually knew what you were talking about, you would have never mentioned nonsense about clipping and AC voltages. i have every right to say you are talkig out of your a$$ because your post was WAYYYYY off base.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:15 PM

Here is a definition that i found
"Clipping
A signal that results from an amplifier that is either overloaded or underpowered relative to the signal Amplitude it being asked to generate. Power starvation from a slow power supply is a frequent cause of underpowering.
A clipped waveform is one in which the gently rounded peaks and valleys of the AC audio wave are instead sliced off or clipped, to yield what looks a lot like a square or alternating DC wave. When DC is applied to a speaker, the voice coil has no means of propelling itself relative to a constant magnetic field. Instead, it can only convert the incoming current to heat, and ultimately burns up. The effect of alternating DC on speakers is remarkable, irritating, painful, and short. If you are able to hear evident Distortion at high volume levels, or smell smoke, reduce the volume. It may already be too late for your speakers, but at least you may be able to save the amplifier."
Old 05-13-2004, 12:37 PM

Here is a definition that i found
"Clipping
A signal that results from an amplifier that is either overloaded or underpowered relative to the signal Amplitude it being asked to generate. Power starvation from a slow power supply is a frequent cause of underpowering.
A clipped waveform is one in which the gently rounded peaks and valleys of the AC audio wave are instead sliced off or clipped, to yield what looks a lot like a square or alternating DC wave. When DC is applied to a speaker, the voice coil has no means of propelling itself relative to a constant magnetic field. Instead, it can only convert the incoming current to heat, and ultimately burns up. The effect of alternating DC on speakers is remarkable, irritating, painful, and short. If you are able to hear evident Distortion at high volume levels, or smell smoke, reduce the volume. It may already be too late for your speakers, but at least you may be able to save the amplifier."
So how does this apply to your original post on clipping?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM

"Also the hever charging and never discharging that was talked about is called cliping. the capacitor is considered a voltage source that comes on when there is a drop in the voltage (i.e. AC power). With AC power it keep the power much more linear. It sort of straightens out the Sinusoidal wave.(sort of) This clipping could happen when your system hits really hard or something that causing a dip in the voltage. The the capacitor has a draw on it which makes it release some of its stored energy (e.g. battery) at a certain rate which helps to slow the sudden drop in current until the battery and alternator can recover."
Old 05-13-2004, 02:01 PM

"Also the hever charging and never discharging that was talked about is called cliping. the capacitor is considered a voltage source that comes on when there is a drop in the voltage (i.e. AC power). With AC power it keep the power much more linear. It sort of straightens out the Sinusoidal wave.(sort of) This clipping could happen when your system hits really hard or something that causing a dip in the voltage. The the capacitor has a draw on it which makes it release some of its stored energy (e.g. battery) at a certain rate which helps to slow the sudden drop in current until the battery and alternator can recover."

i know what clipping is, and it has nothing at all to do with ur post about clipping lol. stop reading definitions that you clearly do not understand. better yet, just stay the he!! off the forum.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:05 PM

I have never heard of a cap charging and discharging as "clipping". Are you implying that the cap is helping to keep the input voltage to the amp constant and therefore preventing it from trying to exceed its' rail voltage?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
I have never heard of a cap charging and discharging as "clipping". Are you implying that the cap is helping to keep the input voltage to the amp constant and therefore preventing it from trying to exceed its' rail voltage?
Maxima Dan you are talking to a brick wall here lol.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:17 PM

So how does this apply to your original post on clipping?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:15 PM

This thread has been very informative, I think?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Moe
This thread has been very informative, I think?
id say it was more entertaining
Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
id say it was more entertaining
I dont understand why there is such hostility from you. How old are you. You think by putting me down you are going to look tought or something. my intention was never to highjack this thread but your pompous A$$ just wont shut up. Oh by the way where were you educated at. I was just wondering so i would knock i off of the list of graduate schools i am wanting to attend.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:59 PM

ehh, he doesn't mean anything bad. maybe his choice of words was a bit harsh, but all he wanted to do is get the facts out.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:46 AM

I dont understand why there is such hostility from you. How old are you. You think by putting me down you are going to look tought or something. my intention was never to highjack this thread but your pompous A$$ just wont shut up. Oh by the way where were you educated at. I was just wondering so i would knock i off of the list of graduate schools i am wanting to attend.

im just tired of reading posts from people that do nothing but put up off the wall information..people get confused enough as it is. when people start reading posts like yours and the other guy who thinks caps are batteries, they get even more confused. unless you are an EE, then just let me do the explaining. i didn't mean anything by it, but there is just so much wrong information out there from people who really don't understand the topic. i appologize if i came accross as vindictive.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:15 AM

I am an EE. Thats why it seemed vindictive
Old 05-14-2004, 05:42 AM

you are an EE? i find that hard to believe because an EE would never ask something like this. you can't put DC into a speaker unless you wanted to destroy the speaker. also, 2 or 4 ohms is not the correct resistance to discharge a capacitor through. you should already know this if you are an EE. even a first year EE student knows this, or even a kid taking high school physics knows this.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:55 AM

Actually i am an Electrical and Computer Engineer and i dont realy think that discharging that capacitor by hooking it up to a speaker is very bad. You can hook up capacitor in line with a speaker in order to filter certain frequencies. That is called a filter. (butterworth may ring a bell). Plus a lot of speaker installers place a DC voltage directly to a speaker to see which direction the speaker moves.(out is positive in is negative) If this can be done on a speaker then surely a Cap can be hooked up to it. how many times have u done a speaker installation. Geez you sound so arrogant but you have not given any strong proof to back up you information.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:04 AM

Actually i am an Electrical and Computer Engineer and i dont realy think that discharging that capacitor by hooking it up to a speaker is very bad. You can hook up capacitor in line with a speaker in order to filter certain frequencies. That is called a filter. (butterworth may ring a bell). Plus a lot of speaker installers place a DC voltage directly to a speaker to see which direction the speaker moves.(out is positive in is negative) If this can be done on a speaker then surely a Cap can be hooked up to it. how many times have u done a speaker installation. Geez you sound so arrogant but you have not given any strong proof to back up you information.
it's a filter when an AC waveform is applied to the speaker, in DC cases a cap is not a filter. a 9volt battery doesnt supply the same amount of current to a voice coil that a discharging cap would. discharging a cap into a speaker would destroy it, go ahead and try it and see what happens. and i have done countless installations.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:49 AM

Your equation is wrong.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by D Love
Your equation is wrong.

he copied it from a website...he doesn't even know what the function represents or where it came from
Old 06-02-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
he copied it from a website...he doesn't even know what the function represents or where it came from
LOL, well they're wrong too then... Unless their tau is different from what all other EE's use.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 AM

No, that equation is way off. Tau is still the time constant and is still = RC. I pretty much glanced over it and decided to let it go the first time since it really didn't pertain to anything in this thread. Can't believe that this thread was resurected, though.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 AM

No, that equation is way off. Tau is still the time constant and is still = RC. I pretty much glanced over it and decided to let it go the first time since it really didn't pertain to anything in this thread. Can't believe that this thread was resurected, though.

haha my abd, i didnt take a look at the equation...yea its way off...my bad fellas..shoulda caught that a long time ago lol.