Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Silk Tweeters, Titanium, Kaladex Tweeters, Aluminim Tweeters...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 02:40 PM

Silk Tweeters, Titanium, Kaladex Tweeters, Aluminim Tweeters...

Ok I found some Kicker Tweeters on their website. They three different kinds of tweeters none with prices though. They had Silk Tweeters, Titanium, and Kaladex Tweeters. What is the difference? I've heard metal tweeters are "harsh" what does that mean? Woul y'all recommend a silk, kaladex, or titanium tweeter? Help...
-Ryan
Old 05-14-2004, 06:13 PM

I'm not totally sure what Kaldadex is so I'm going to omit it completely. The two normal kinds of tweeters are metal and silk. Metal tweeters sound kind of shrill. They sound pretty good for short listening periods but can become pretty hard to listen to over time because higher frequencies end up hurting your ears.

Silk tweeters are much more mellow, and in my opinion, easier to listen to for longer durations. The high notes aren't nearly as shrill. If you can you should go to a local car audio shop and listen to both types, it'll give you a much better idea than someone trying to explain it.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had both the titanium Kicker tweeters, and the silk Kicker tweeters installed in my car. I still have them, they are both actually in my closet (i just put some older Polk DB3065 in my car) I prefer the silk ones over the titanium tweeters. The silk tweeters had a smoother overall sound.

Since "good" sound can be subjective, and you will be the one that will be listening to them, I would highly recommend you go to an audio shop as joojoo2915 suggested.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:08 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=305244

little more info there too
Old 05-17-2004, 02:18 PM

aluminum has better heat transfer from the cone to produce better sound. make sure you have a bass blocker to filter out the tweets.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:18 PM

make sure you have a bass blocker to filter out the tweets.
Every single component set I know of comes with a cross-over, you don't need a bass blocker. Metal does provide better heat transfer, but all that accomplishes is less resistance on the voice coil. When you're only sending the speakers 15-20 watts rms it's not a big deal.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by joojoo2915
Every single component set I know of comes with a cross-over, you don't need a bass blocker. Metal does provide better heat transfer, but all that accomplishes is less resistance on the voice coil. When you're only sending the speakers 15-20 watts rms it's not a big deal.
i didnt read where he said it was a component set. he said tweeters only. if im wrong point it out.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:59 PM

I dont feel like trying a novel so im gonna make this quick. Metal dome tweets are called off-axis, you aim these toward the center of the windsheild or else it will be too harsh.
Soft dome tweets are called on-axis, you aim these directly towards you. It will sound just right. It all depends on were your OEM locations are. Choose wisley.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
I dont feel like trying a novel so im gonna make this quick. Metal dome tweets are called off-axis, you aim these toward the center of the windsheild or else it will be too harsh.
Soft dome tweets are called on-axis, you aim these directly towards you. It will sound just right. It all depends on were your OEM locations are. Choose wisley.
I think that sub flexed more than your car

There are some bad metal dome tweeters out there and I think that, more than anything else, has given them a bad rep.

Focal Ti domes sound really good both on and off axis. It all comes down to how well designed the crossover is and if can dampen the inherent breakup or ringing at certain frequencies that metal domes are known for. Although, nothing I ever did could get my first set of Quart components to sound good. They might have improved since then but I will never agian buy their stuff.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
I think that sub flexed more than your car
Maybe but its only temporary

There are some bad metal dome tweeters out there and I think that, more than anything else, has given them a bad rep.
Cant argue with that, still doesnt hide the fact that MANY people dont know what an on & off axis setup is and how it can effect a setup.

Focal Ti domes sound really good both on and off axis. It all comes down to how well designed the crossover is and if can dampen the inherent breakup or ringing at certain frequencies that metal domes are known for. Although, nothing I ever did could get my first set of Quart components to sound good. They might have improved since then but I will never agian buy their stuff.
Thats the mark of a great tweeter, but it also varies from one person to the next The crossover makes a huge difference, but if the person choosing the settings doesnt know what they are doing, its obviously going to mess it up even worst. Ive heard the old school MB's and damn are those tweets jacked. I would still not buy their new stuff, you can obviously get better for the same $ if not less $.