Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

DIY custom sub box

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:01 PM

DIY custom sub box

I want to build my own small custom sub box. How hard is it?
Instructions and anyhting else I need to know?
I have two 12" audiobahns in a bandpass that I want to put into a small
sealed box.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by trubd
I want to build my own small custom sub box. How hard is it?
Instructions and anyhting else I need to know?
I have two 12" audiobahns in a bandpass that I want to put into a small
sealed box.
It's not that hard if you have a table saw and a router. Just please don't make crappy butt joints and use Gorilla Glue.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 PM

does homedepot cut wood out in any size and shape?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:15 PM

yeah. make sure its sealed tight or it wont sound good. dont port it for more loud bass but less quality bass.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by trubd
does homedepot cut wood out in any size and shape?

OMG dont even mention homedepot. i made my own box for 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects...bought the wood from them and had EXACT cuts i needed them to do, i was willing to pay almost anything for a nice cut, but anyways after they cut the wood i took them home and started to piece together, found out some of the pieces were cut 1: about .25 inch too short or 2: .25 inch too long......I then went back and told them about it the cut the same day, there answer : "we dont do exact cuts...." I strongly suggest that you buy the tool, or rent it or something (if you good with your hands that is) and cut all the wood yourself.
Learn from me I had to buy TWO!!! 4'x8' 3/4" MDF......not happy about that one....oh and on top of that for my SECOND attempt, i figured i shouldnt depend on their eyes to measure out what i wanted....what i did was draw the freakin lines out and told them just follow the lines (but thought, and dont use your brian cause i trust the lines more) and they still somehow messed up the cuts......but i made it work, but not 100% to my liking, so im plannin on redoing it this summer.....

Sorry for the long description but this was a big stressor for me so i dont want another .org member to go through it.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:43 PM

you could have sanded them could you not? how much did it cost you to make your own box?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:33 PM

I will be making my own box soon also. What tools will I need besides jig saw and table saw? And as far as materials go, is mdf, liquid nails, screws, silicon caulking, spray adhesive, and carpet everything I will need?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by slickrick
you could have sanded them could you not? how much did it cost you to make your own box?
I guess, i think afterward ill be as buff as arnold.....unless you have a machine sander that would be very hard...my box was about as wide as teh trunk and sanding down 3/4 mdf...ohh good luck, not to mention keepin it in a line....also you can sand down a cut that was too deep..
costs: umm should be about 50-75?? 25-30 on 3/4 mdf...couple bucks on screws....5 on caulk/gun....carpet..i dunno costs....i also used plexi glass so that could be a reason for higher costs on my box.

"I will be making my own box soon also. What tools will I need besides jig saw and table saw? And as far as materials go, is mdf, liquid nails, screws, silicon caulking, spray adhesive, and carpet everything I will need?"

I wouldnt use nails, only screws for a tight fit....make sure you draw out a detailed blue print...saves a lot of time on cuts and stuff...and make sure you can drop it in the trunk when you assemble it outside...lol my newbie box building ran into that cause my amp rack made the box too long for me to put in to i had to take that off and put the box in and then put the amp rank in....oh well it works...

On more IMPORTANT thing, make sure you design a box that can be bolted down somehow, so it doesnt move all over your trunk when you turn. and like everyone else always says, seal seal seal make sure everything is sealed and there are enough wood screws, id say about 7in apart?? of course one in every corner...
GOOD LUCK GUYS!
Old 05-20-2004, 06:49 AM

For smaller boxes, I use plain butt joints. For larger ones, it's butt joints with biscuits for extra strength. I only use Tightbond II wood glue. I also never use screws, wood glue after curing is stronger than the wood itself. Screws also get in the way when I run over the edges with a round-over router bit.

For a perfect box, cut the boards so there is a small over-hand of about 1/16" at each joint. Once the box is complete, take a router and a flush trim bit and make everyting nice and smooth.

-Robert