Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BOSE CD Cuts Out - TSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BOSE CD Cuts Out - TSB

Anyone have their Bose CD/Radio replaced due to cutting out on the left side speakers? There is a Nissan TSB (NTB-0317) that describes the condition I am experiencing. I am wondering what experiences you had with the dealer having to replace this item.

Thanks in advance for the replies. (Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I am unable to search the forum).
Old 06-03-2004, 06:25 PM

Mine started to go bad with skipping in cold weather. The dealer pretty much said "live with it." So I was hoping the left speaker would begin to cut out - which it did. They replaced it 2 weeks ago, with a rebuilt one (which took *5 weeks* to come in).

Within a week the left channel on the rebuilt one went out. This time when I took it back (Wednesday this week) they said that the policy is, with the second replacement you get a new unit instead of a rebuild.

I hope it won't be another 5 weeks before I can post the next instalment of this saga.

BTW this is apparently a very widespread problem with the Bose system.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:43 PM

the first time i brought it in, the dealer was telling me it was loose speaker wires... it went out again so i called my advisor and he said he would call me when a refurbed radio came in... in about i week i heard back from them and they changed it out. since then no problems...
Old 06-03-2004, 08:44 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=189182
Old 06-04-2004, 06:25 AM

same problem. went to the dealer .. took 5 weeks to come in.. after that drove around for 2 weeks started happening again.. this time the dealer only took 3 weeks to replace my radio. 2 month later same problem.. left speaker cut out.. got ****ed went out got me a pioneer radio did the install and never had a problem since. good luck
Old 06-04-2004, 06:40 AM

Oh my god, thanks so much for the link, my girlfriend and I have been trying to figure out what the hell was going on with her recent purchase of a 2k2. The dealer said that it only happened with "burned" CD's, so when I showed them it happened with all CD's they were like "must be your CD's in general." What the hell does that mean? Anyway, thanks again everyone.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:33 AM

Time to get rid of Blose!!
Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 PM

I've had mine replaced once in my 8 mths. of ownership. Many have had theirs replaced up to 5 times! As long as you're under warranty, they'll keep swapping you for reconditioned Clarion (Bose labeled) units.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:39 PM
I miss the .org!

I've had my Bose HU replaced once already for the bass cutting out. Now it's cutting out just on CD's too, not radio. Just made an appt. to take it in on Tues.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:29 AM

At 51K my bose is just starting to act up once in a while. Always when CD, never on radio. The left speakers don't go "out" all the way, just gets a bit distorted. And when that happens, I eject CD, reinsert it, and all is good. WTF? I am sure at my miles, I will have to foot the cost of replacement.

If/when I do replace, I wonder what aftermarket will work with the Bose speaker set up? I don't want to regut/replace the entire sound system.

And I wonder what would look good in there? I don't want a single din chassis in that double din space.

Maybe get someting with a nav built in?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JettmiesterMax
And I wonder what would look good in there? I don't want a single din chassis in that double din space.

Maybe get someting with a nav built in?
http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/avn/avn_top.htm
you will end up replacing your whole system though
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 AM

Just had my Bose Head Unit replaced by the dealer, car is still under original factory warranty. I bought in a copy of TSB when I went in to describe the problem. Took about a week to get the part. No problems/hassles from the dealer at all.

Also had them fix the hood vibration issue as described in another TSB.

This site is great! Thank you to all who have provided information, it saved me a ton of headaches.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My car was still under warranty...but I heard there was a call back and they gave me a refurb that worked fine. Then I went and upgraded the whole stereo system. No problems with the dealer and no B.S. Hopefully you will get the same.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:03 AM

When i brought mine in the tech couldnt duplicate it so he called me over and i was like it's just random not consistant..then he asked if it was burned cd's i say "NOPE" so i told him that there was a tsb on this specific problem..so he looked that up, printed the tsb out and ordered a radio. They called me the next day to tell me my radio was in and to setup an appointment. heh.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Same prob with me, thank God i was under warranty. I went in w/ a copy of the TSB and they ordered me a new head unit right away. I'm still waiting for the new one to come in. It's been 2 weeks already. I called again and they said it may take a month or so. GREAT!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:23 PM

I've had my radio replaced 5 times already and my warranty expired in June. The radio is acting up again and I've gotten so ****ed about it I'm gonna write a letter to Nissan and install something different. I had always been happy with the system but not when it screws up this often. My 2 cents!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've had my Bose HU replaced once already for the bass cutting out. Now it's cutting out just on CD's too, not radio. Just made an appt. to take it in on Tues.
Did you find a resolution to this problem?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 AM

Nissan warranties all parts replaced for 12k miles. So even if you're out of warranty if your unit was replaced within the last 12k, they'll cover you. They've done this for me twice (I'm on my 4th Bose unit in 2 years, but this one's been working for 8+months).
Old 09-15-2005, 01:14 PM
The Boy Wonder

I got mine replaced in a day for free under my warranty, I'm taking out all the bose once I get the money for better speakers.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:26 AM

So Nissan wont replace this if it isnt under warranty? I read the link from above where studman talked to clarion about the problem, has anyone actually tried fixing it themselves? The reason I ask is because my '03 max has about 80k miles on it, so its outside the factory warranty. If I have to spend money on replacing it anyway, I might as well get an after market head unit, and try to homebrew fix this one.

Sorry for the bump of an old thread....