Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need help hardwiring a Valentine 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Valentine 1

does anyone know how to hardwire the V1 into my 99 max SE-L??
the link in the how-to's is dead, so, i dont know what to do. i just need to know which wire to splice, im so lost...
Old 08-04-2004, 06:51 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Just use the positive wire that runs to the back of the cigarette lighter.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by endus
Just use the positive wire that runs to the back of the cigarette lighter.
thats the easiest way, but by far not the best way... the cig lighter generally is not meant to handle a ton of amps, i know a radar does not draw that much current but why risk it... and besides why run the wire ALL the way over there when you could wire it under the driver side dash.. anyways you can use the ignition harness with a 2-5 amp fuse, and make your own ground... very easy, i guess i could do a writeup if people wanted....

lemme know if you have questions..
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 AM

Please do a write-up...I also need to do this next week. Thanks mclarke
Old 08-04-2004, 10:03 AM

omg if you did a write up, i would luv you....
Old 08-04-2004, 10:22 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

You guys really need a writeup? Come on guys. Find a switched positive wire. Clip the wire tap on to it. Attach the ground wire to a screw or some other piece of metal. Seriously, it's not hard...you don't even cut and splice any wires....it literally could not be made any easier. The only piece of info that would still help is what color/tracer the positive cig lighter wire is....once we find that out just slip the tap on that one.

If you're not going to use the cig lighter wire then you need a multimeter to help you find a switched positive wire. That is going to complicate things immensely if these guys need a writeup on how to clip a tap on to a wire. Stick with the cig lighter wire....it is the easiest and safest possible solution.

As far as the cig lighter, the wiring inside the car is all exactly the same size. There is absolutely nothing about the wiring to the cigarette lighter that is any different than any other wire in the car. The only possible difference is the size of the fuse on the cig lighter circuit, but since the cig lighter is designed to handle small accessories (i.e. a radar detector) the size of the use should be fine. If it wasn't then the answer is just stick another fuse in there.

Actually mine isn't wired to the back of the cig lighter since the wire that came with the V1 wouldn't quite reach the way I ran it and I didn't feel like finding it at the fuse box. I just used a multimeter and tapped another switched +12v source. You can wire it to the cig lighter closer to the drivers side of the car though...you just need to find the wire.

Another way to do it would be to buy a fuse tap and then just connect the wire to the fuse tap. To be honest, though...no insult intended, if you need a writeup for clipping a tap onto a wire finding a +12V fuse socket with a multimeter might be too much. It IS a nice clean way to install it though...that's how my changer is wired.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:25 AM

Pfft, i did it myself with out any 'write ups'.

Here's how I did it.

1. find where you want your unit to go to.
2. get the cable you need, short or long.
3. Take out center pannel (I have stick) and get access to cig lighter, so you can see the cables.
4. Find out which one is the possitive.
5. After finding out which one is possitive and negative, use the clipper which came with your V1 unit and clip on the POSSITIVE wire!. After you made sure it holds well, connect the wire in there.
6. For the negative one, you have to find one of the bolts which Grounds, I found that type of bolt under my gas pedal.
7. Connect your negative wire to that ground place, and make sure everything holds well, and will not come off if you accidently touch it.
8. Find where you want to stick your connection unit into which the wire from V1 unit will come in(the one which has 2 wires sticking out and which you connected to + and -) (I put it under my stearing wheel)
9. Here's a pic. of where my unit is

I know i suck at writing 'write ups', but at least that should get you started...and thats how i did it
Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 AM

You guys really need a writeup? Come on guys. Find a switched positive wire. Clip the wire tap on to it. Attach the ground wire to a screw or some other piece of metal. Seriously, it's not hard...you don't even cut and splice any wires....it literally could not be made any easier. The only piece of info that would still help is what color/tracer the positive cig lighter wire is....once we find that out just slip the tap on that one.
Are you serious? do you know that wiretaps will eventually rust and break the wire? i guess you try to do things the wrong way... not a good idea..

If you're not going to use the cig lighter wire then you need a multimeter to help you find a switched positive wire. That is going to complicate things immensely if these guys need a writeup on how to clip a tap on to a wire. Stick with the cig lighter wire....it is the easiest and safest possible solution.
Agreed there... but the wire color is the same on all maxima's, hell all nissans for that matter, even infinitys, etc... ignition wire colors do not change with nissans, or hondas, or toyotas, etc...

As far as the cig lighter, the wiring inside the car is all exactly the same size. There is absolutely nothing about the wiring to the cigarette lighter that is any different than any other wire in the car. The only possible difference is the size of the fuse on the cig lighter circuit, but since the cig lighter is designed to handle small accessories (i.e. a radar detector) the size of the use should be fine. If it wasn't then the answer is just stick another fuse in there.
ok now i know you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.... every wire is the same in the car huh? so those 40 or 50 amp fuses under the hood that are for the IGNITION lines are 12 gauge? yupp might wanna try looking or reading again buddy...

Actually mine isn't wired to the back of the cig lighter since the wire that came with the V1 wouldn't quite reach the way I ran it and I didn't feel like finding it at the fuse box. I just used a multimeter and tapped another switched +12v source. You can wire it to the cig lighter closer to the drivers side of the car though...you just need to find the wire.
so any switched wire huh? airbags are switched wires, might wanna rethink your strategy...

Another way to do it would be to buy a fuse tap and then just connect the wire to the fuse tap. To be honest, though...no insult intended, if you need a writeup for clipping a tap onto a wire finding a +12V fuse socket with a multimeter might be too much. It IS a nice clean way to install it though...that's how my changer is wired.
fuse taps, yupp thats always safe... idk people its your choice, a smart way and a not so smart way....

ive seen it all, been doing car audio for 6 years, ecu's, bcm's, everything that is electrical can be blown by a wrong move, so watch yourself..

my 0.02, believe me or dont, its all good
Old 08-05-2004, 10:15 PM

I know....that is why I want to know the REAL way it is supposed to be done to the fuse box without messing with the ignition wires....I wasn't gonna do that just to hook-up a radar detector...that is crazy..
Old 08-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Always sunny in philly

ask Happyricefob. he gave me quick and easy steps
Old 08-06-2004, 05:47 AM

Does any one know the cheapest place for a Valentine 1? I know u get what u pay for but some guy told me $500. Thats a little to high, Is it?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:22 AM

$400 on the website www.valentineone.com you find find them slightly cheaper on eBay (the new 1.8 used goes for about 350 - 375). IMO you're better off buying it from the website.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:06 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by mclarke
Are you serious? do you know that wiretaps will eventually rust and break the wire? i guess you try to do things the wrong way... not a good idea..
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You can't possibly be serious. We are talking about wiring INSIDE THE CAR. Do you actually believe that there aren't areas of the bone-stock wiring that would be a problem if rust was such a prevalent problem?

Mine has been wired this way for 2+ years with no problem. I know others who have had it installed this way for far longer, no problem.

Let's also not gloss over the fact that you are advocating splicing into the ignition wire. Are there conseuquences if your ridiculous rusting scenario happens? Absolutely. I am telling them to splice into the cig ligher wire. If you're ridiculous rusting scenario happens there, who cares? Now do you understand why the cig lighter wire is the best choice? The only risk in this ficticious rusting/wire breaking scenario is a short, and that's why you tape over the tap.

Agreed there... but the wire color is the same on all maxima's, hell all nissans for that matter, even infinitys, etc... ignition wire colors do not change with nissans, or hondas, or toyotas, etc...
All someone needs to do is find out which color the positive one is for the cig lighter....it's not hard. I guess I am going to ahve to do this myself tonight. I will post back.

ok now i know you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.... every wire is the same in the car huh? so those 40 or 50 amp fuses under the hood that are for the IGNITION lines are 12 gauge? yupp might wanna try looking or reading again buddy...
Oh dude, get off it. You're just arguing to argue now. Of course wires under the hood are bigger, I am talking about INSIDE THE CAR where any normal person wires their radar detector.

Your statement was that the cig lighter wire was not able to handle the current: that statement is patently false. It is the same size wire as every other wire that is in the area we are talking about, where any reasonable person would hard wire their detector. Add to that the fact that almost all detectors come with a plug to plug into the cig lighter....do you honestly think that every radar detector manufacturer in the world is taking some insane risk by providing cig lighter plugs?

so any switched wire huh? airbags are switched wires, might wanna rethink your strategy...
This is your only good point. If this is all you had said I would agree. It actually would probably be fine to wire it there, but no way am I arguing with the fact that you don't want to be ****ing with that wire in any way, shape, or form.

fuse taps, yupp thats always safe... idk people its your choice, a smart way and a not so smart way....
Please explain what is unsafe about a fuse tap for something that is drawing very little current.

Please also explain how people with 0 electrical knowledge are supposed to wire their detector without a wire tap and without a fuse tap.

ive seen it all, been doing car audio for 6 years, ecu's, bcm's, everything that is electrical can be blown by a wrong move, so watch yourself..
You're right here, but you're also giving a lot of misinformation. I agree 100% with being cautious, but the fact is that the cig lighter is the best place to wire the detector. You claimed that there is some difference between it's wiring and other wiring inside the car and that is a completely false statement.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by ExoticCreations
Does any one know the cheapest place for a Valentine 1? I know u get what u pay for but some guy told me $500. Thats a little to high, Is it?
Valentines are only sold through valentine....jsut buy it directly from valentine1.com for $400. Ebay, as the other poster mentioned, is the only other possibility.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:19 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Nick7455
I know....that is why I want to know the REAL way it is supposed to be done to the fuse box without messing with the ignition wires....I wasn't gonna do that just to hook-up a radar detector...that is crazy..
Actually wiring it to the fuse box...i.e. doing it without a fuse tap...is difficult. I was planning to wire my changer this way, but it's too much of a pain in the *** and, in the end, not really worth doing.

Your best bet is to use the wire tap that Valentine includes and tap into the positive cigarette lighter wire. If mclarke was right about rust being a major problem (which he is not) then the worst possible problem that could happen is that you're cigarette lighter stops working.

Clip the tap onto the wire, then use electrical tape to tape over the tap. That way, even if it *did* rust for some reason, there is no risk of a short since all the wires are taped together and the broken power wire would ahve nowhere to go to short out on something.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:34 PM

since valentine recommends the detector to be mounted high, what about drawing current from the moonroof instead?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 PM

moonroof is negative (-) trigger, no +12v up there...
Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 PM

also... scotchlocks rust out every day bud, have you seen some old stuff in cars? im telling you from working in the industry for a long time? if you have maybe its because your in a different area? but up here it does...
Old 08-19-2004, 05:53 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

also... scotchlocks rust out every day bud, have you seen some old stuff in cars? im telling you from working in the industry for a long time? if you have maybe its because your in a different area? but up here it does...
I don't know what to tell you man, they've never rusted in any of the (Northeastern) cars I have seen and I still don't see how THAT connection is going to rust but all the other various wires/conenctions in the car won't. Like I said though....use the cig lighter plug, tape it, and even if it does rust everything will be fine....unlike if you use the ignition wire.

I'm also still curious how these dudes who obviously don't solder are supposed to splice the wire without it.

EDIT: Also, and I'm not saying this to be a jerk specifically to you, but working in the industry does not really say anything about how much you know what you're doing. Stereo install shops are running amp power wires on top of gas tanks and generally doing insanely stupid/dangerous things every day.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:42 AM

i agree with you there... so i will say i was wrong in that aspect... anyways enough about this, hehe, on to the next topic!
Old 08-20-2004, 01:06 AM

I just did mine for my 2001. Its not that hard. Total time for me was about 1 hour. That was from taking breaks and stuff from the heat. Its fairly simple, just that I need to have a site to host my write up. I'll get to it for people when I get home from San Francisco.

A-