Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where is your sub placed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:33 PM

Where is your sub placed?

Where do you guys have your subs placed? Rear of the trunk? Closer to the back bench? Also which way to you have it facing?

I'm wondering what would obtain the best sound. I tried taking the back bench out and man it sounded sweet with nothing in the way (but obviously I cant drive around with no back bench).
Old 08-06-2004, 04:11 PM

I have a stealth box
Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine is installed on the driver's side, in the rear corner of the trunk. I have it bolted down and facing the rear of the car.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:36 PM

Heres how I have my box mounted. I left about 4 inches between the back of the seat & the box so the sound could come through the opening in the seat. It is rediculously loud!!! Especially with that new slot port box I built for my JL sub. It's nothing too fancy, but it's clean & deffinitly brings home the bacon if you know what I mean.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/likwid...&.dnm=40ae.jpg
Old 08-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Well, mine are mounted right here:

Pretty darned loud for Kenwoods if you ask me.
drew
Old 08-18-2004, 04:35 PM

Facing the rear of the car will be noticeable louder, but you will also hear a lot more rattle from outside the car. Facing the front of the car will give you not as much rattle and not as loud, therefore you will have more of a sound quality setup, and most likely be able to put stuff in your trunk without worrying about it hitting the subs (depending on how your box is setup).

-Kevin
Old 08-18-2004, 05:05 PM

mine are close to the edge of the trunk... less cancellation but more rattling for the people outside.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:20 PM

bluemaxdriver4,

I have experimented with this same set up. I really liked the look you got going on with the sub's being visually exposed. I have my amp mounted so it's visable through the seat opening, with a couple of fans mounted to help keep the amp cool. However, having had the same set up as you I have to say the only way that your set up will sound it's best is if the open area of the backseat is completely sealed off against the box. If it's not you lose a ton of sound. I can almost gaurentee if you faced your subs towards the back the sound improvement will be drastic. The bass will sound alot deeper throughout all frequency ranges. I bet with your subs facing forward like that you can hear the woofers moving. I'm not knocking your system, just trying to point out the obvious. If you want to keep the box in that same position I suggest finding a way to seal the back seat to the box some how. Basically you want the seat & the box to be as one. You don't have to seal the box completely off, just around the outside area of the woofers. Maybe some thick rubber staples to some wood & then the wood attached to the box. Then push the box up as tight as you can against the back seat & mount it down so it will keep that pressure agains the back seat.
Sorry if this seems like a aZZhole thing to be saying, but I really only have the best intentions of helping out another orger. If you ever want to talk about it, hit me up & we can brain storm alittle.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
bluemaxdriver4,

I have experimented with this same set up. I really liked the look you got going on with the sub's being visually exposed. I have my amp mounted so it's visable through the seat opening, with a couple of fans mounted to help keep the amp cool. However, having had the same set up as you I have to say the only way that your set up will sound it's best is if the open area of the backseat is completely sealed off against the box. If it's not you lose a ton of sound. I can almost gaurentee if you faced your subs towards the back the sound improvement will be drastic. The bass will sound alot deeper throughout all frequency ranges. I bet with your subs facing forward like that you can hear the woofers moving. I'm not knocking your system, just trying to point out the obvious. If you want to keep the box in that same position I suggest finding a way to seal the back seat to the box some how. Basically you want the seat & the box to be as one. You don't have to seal the box completely off, just around the outside area of the woofers. Maybe some thick rubber staples to some wood & then the wood attached to the box. Then push the box up as tight as you can against the back seat & mount it down so it will keep that pressure agains the back seat.
Sorry if this seems like a aZZhole thing to be saying, but I really only have the best intentions of helping out another orger. If you ever want to talk about it, hit me up & we can brain storm alittle.

ALRIGHT AZZHOLE!!! QUIT DISSIN MY SYSTEM!!!

NO just kidding!!!

The box is custom and it is really tight against the back of the seat. As far as hearing the subs move I've never heard it.

A friend of mine had a bass CD for competitions because he competes. Three 12s in a Ford Ranger with a custom slot ported box by my dad. Anyways, we rolled all my windows up put the CD in and did some frequency tests. The pressure in the cabin was unreal!

I told him I was thinking about changing it and turning the box around or making another one to fit in the spare tire well. He said not to change a thing. He said that maybe I could upgrade the subs and amp but that was about it. The box is very well built. Weighs an azzload too! (3/4" MDF)

I have tried turning it around, and it made my trunk sound like a POS honda. I will just keep it like this and maybe upgrade my amp and sub here soon. I was kinda leaning toward a CDT sub and maybe a MA Audio amp or something. I really don't like ALOT of bass. I'm more for SQ. I heard the CDT subs are great.

Thanks,
drew
Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM

so much for your tranny...
Old 08-19-2004, 12:27 PM

I have mine mounted like this:

It's an aperiodic enclosure. The entire trunk is completely sealed off from the rest of the car. It's the best sounding sub system I've had. There's more details on my home page.

Tony
Old 08-19-2004, 07:32 PM

bluemaxdriver,

Check out the pic's of Tony Fernandez set up. See how his box is basically "sealed off" against the back seat? If your box is not like this, then you do not get the same effect. If your more into SQ then it would be worth your time & effort to "seal" the box up against the back seat. Only problem I see with your box is if you push it any closer to the back seat your woofers will hit the back of the seat when excursion occurs. All you would have to do is cut 3 pieces of wood (sides & top) to "seal" your box against the back seat. Beleive me when I say if you think your system sounds good now, then it will sound that much better if you "seal" the box against the seat.

If your tooling with the idea of changing the subs & box configuration, then consider this idea. 1 single 12" sub mounted between the factorys speakers directly on top of your rear deck with the box underneath the rear deck inside the trunk. You will need to cut out the cross bars that hold the trunk lid open & some of the metel under the rear deck. If you like this concept & want to attempt it there are a few things you'll have to do.
1st. fab up a new way for the trunk lid to stay open. "A short hood strut would do the trick"
2nd. Make sure to seal up the rear deck very very good to eliminate vibrations. (expandable spray foam & dynomat).
Thats basically it... Ofcourse you have to cut the opening for the sub & build the box, but thats it.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:23 PM

So how much better do you think that setup would sound? I was kinda thinking about modding my trunk eventually to get rid of those stupid bar things anyways. That was a very poor design. But then again, it was probably cheaper than hood struts.

Also, do you think the rear deck would hold that much weight without bending?

drew
Old 08-21-2004, 05:46 PM

I think that setup will sound great. I'don't think you will have any issues with the deck flexing, because once you seal it (spray foam, dynamat etc. It will be really solid. The trick here is the "sealing" that entire rear deck should be air tight if it's done right. Also depending on what brand woofer you use & how much air space is required the box can be tall. Kinda like a square tube & be supported from the bottom of the trunk also. If the box is shorter & there is a gap between the box & the trunk floor, you can always make your own support for the bottom. It would kinda look like a collum when you open the trunk. So I wouldn't be so concerned with the deck supporting the weight.
I actually think this is one of the better designs for a maxima, especially when you look at the shape of the back window. Almost every stereo guy you meet will tell you vehicles that are hatchbacks sound the best. Mainly because of the shape. Just imagine all that bass bouncing off the back window & being directed towards the front of the cab. I just think it's a good set up & you can't really go wrong with it, unless your craftsmenship is lousey. Overall I would say expect some excellent gains in SQ with this design. But just remember you will be going from 2 woofers to only 1 so your gonna lose alittle "(THUMP)". But what you lose in thump will more then be gained back by a overall crisper sounding system. Alot of people tend to forget that when a stereo system sounds cleaner/crisper more detail in the music becomes apparent & your ears reward you by tricking your brain into thinking it's actually louder then it really is. This isn't just some BS I'm passing on, it's fact. If you have ever heard a really well set up surround sound system in a car or a home then you know what I mean about how your brain will percieve sound. A cleaner sounding system will always enhance the "Stereo Effect". Thats the swirling sound you hear with good systems. kinda like your entire body is engulfed in sounds. You can hear each sound flying past your head.
i'm mean unless your trying to be the coolest dude on the block & want super monster bass to impress the onlookers then go some other route. But if you really want to be the man, then set up a system that after people hear it their like (WOW, THATS AMAZING). And when you really really want to be the man you can be like ya, "Thats only around 300w RMS of total power. Then they'll really trip out. "Man, I never knew a system could sound so sweet with that little bit of power". You know what I mean?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:13 PM

i plan on putting a sub in my rear deck, any other ideas out there? i will document what i do when i do it to help out other orgers. i never met anyone with a sub custom installed in the rear deck... i think it would be as impressive as well as sweet sounding... ther suggestions for box design or mounting positions?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:25 PM

Two 12's mounted isobaric in a sealed enclosure firing into the pass-thru. It will be sealed to the back of the seat, but thats not been done yet.

http://datsun510.arizonagt.org/demen...reo/stereo.htm