Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best 15" for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
yeah, i've read a lot of good reviews for that sub. how much was it?
The JL Audio W6v2: Excellent sub.
Overrated....no, not at all.
Overpriced...yes (same goes for most anything JL)

You can get your hands on a B12 which IMO is a better sub then the W6v2.

Once again, if your planning on sealing it up your gonna need more power then in a ported setup to get a good impact. As mentioned be4, a ported setup is a lot more efficient then a sealed setup.

I only had 400w/rms going to my sub at 1st (you remember that thread ) and its output was retarded. Oh and one thing I should mention, when your stepping up to subs that are XBL_2 equipped, you can port them and still keep them accurate. The XBL_2 basically brute forces the cone to behave. You'll gain the efficiency of a ported box, the output of a ported box, only downside is the ported box is larger then sealed.

As long as your box is built right (be it sealed or ported) your good to go.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:41 PM

I got a special deal on mine because my friend owns the shop I got it from. You can probably get one for around $250 - $300 in your area. If you go back to the JL Audio site the have a dealer locator. And that will help you locate someone in your area that sells them.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
The JL Audio W6v2: Excellent sub.
Overrated....no, not at all.
Overpriced...yes (same goes for most anything JL)

You can get your hands on a B12 which IMO is a better sub then the W6v2.

Once again, if your planning on sealing it up your gonna need more power then in a ported setup to get a good impact. As mentioned be4, a ported setup is a lot more efficient then a sealed setup.

I only had 400w/rms going to my sub at 1st (you remember that thread ) and its output was retarded. Oh and one thing I should mention, when your stepping up to subs that are XBL_2 equipped, you can port them and still keep them accurate. The XBL_2 basically brute forces the cone to behave. You'll gain the efficiency of a ported box, the output of a ported box, only downside is the ported box is larger then sealed.

As long as your box is built right (be it sealed or ported) your good to go.
yeah, i didn't want to go ported because i don't want to lose some of the definition a sealed box will give. but i didn't know that xbl_2 equipped subs can be accurate in a ported enclosure.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:43 PM

get a brahma 12... port it and be amazed.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
Heres my suggestion!!!!

This is the same woofer I have with only 200w RMS powering it and it sounds excellent. Ofcourse the design of my new box has alot to do with how well the woofer performs also.
What brand amp (& watts) are you using? I am going to custom build a box and put a single 12W6v2 in the trunk of my 04' Max. I would like to know what would work best for power. Do I really need a 400 watt amp?

Also, whats a good source for car stereo components online?

Thanx in advance!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
get a brahma 12... port it and be amazed.

B12 is awesome and needs half the box the 15 does.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
What brand amp (& watts) are you using? I am going to custom build a box and put a single 12W6v2 in the trunk of my 04' Max. I would like to know what would work best for power. Do I really need a 400 watt amp?

Also, whats a good source for car stereo components online?

Thanx in advance!
In a ported setup, you dont need to run much power. Even 100w will go far. So no, you dont NEED 400w, but personally id get a bigger amp just to have the headroom.

If you want more info about audio, check out these sites:
www.caraudioforum.com
www.soundillusions.net

Two best audio forums IMO.

As for best places to buy stuff online, there are many sites, but ill list just a few.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/default.aspx
http://www.woofersetc.com/store.asp
http://www.thezeb.com/
http://darvex.com/

Those are ones ive dealth with, fast shipping, customer service was above par.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:11 PM

This is what I got.

Put it this way, I want to feel the impact of a kickdrum even more than my current tens can pump out, but nothing that vicious like your Brahma (finally heard a 12 in person few weeks ago, gets kinda hard to breathe when cranked up ). If I can save a few bucks by just getting a good 12" instead of a 15" then I'll go that route. I want to keep it sealed for the genre of music I listen to. How far I want to take this? Probably around 300 or so for a new sub.
I would go with JL 15w3 v2 or Solo baric 15 l7

Now and, soon to be sold I have 2 15" Fosgates HE2 in a sealed box 2.0 cu ft per sub stuffed with polyfill, Running off 1000 watts or more because its bridged at 1 ohm.

On the plus side: The bass is tight and low at any level, frequency respones is great thanks to sealed box, low bass notes are very defined and not faded. I would not go any less than 2 15"s, because if you have the power and the right enclosure it will sound better due to its ability to play lower. not to nock 10's pr 12s but its nothing like 15s or 18s.

On the negeitve side: Space is an issue but if you dont travel much or have an empty back seat who needs a trunk.

This is my 2 cents. Just remember what ever you chose 10s- 18s, they all can be tuned to you likeing.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:11 PM

04RedOpMax,

Well you don't have to use 400w if you don't want too. I'm running 200w & have no complaints. Actually I just posted a thread asking for advice about a new 5 channel amp that would make more power then my PPI. But right after I posted that about 10 minutes ago I went into the garage to check the settings on my amp. Well to my suprize I didn't even have my gains turned up 1/4 of the way. I didn't even have any of my Q bass boost turned up at all, so I do have alittle more power on tap. I guess my intentions of buying a amp with more power just went out the window?
I think as long as you buy a quality amp that will produce atleast 200w RMS for your sub you will be pleased. But if you buy a amp with more wattage & just keep the gain turned down alittle lower when you get used to the bass & want more, you can always step it up a notch or two....
Having enough power is deffinitly important, but more importantly is going to be the design of your enclosure. If you go with a sealed box, your gonna need that extra power. If you go with a ported box, you can get away with less power because there alittle more efficient.
When I first purchased my W12v2 I built a sealed enclosure for it. It sounded really good sealed, but when I changed over to the slot port box it just came alive. My first impression was "Damn did the filling in my tooth just fall out"? And my friend was like "How come everything I look at is blurry"? So switching to the ported enclosure was a hugh hugh difference with the amount of power I am suppling to the sub. I strongly beleive if you can't afford for a shop to build a computer tunned ported enclosure using your vehicles interior dementions. Then the best design your gonna get is the factory spec's JL recommends for the slot ported box for that speaker. It's pretty much optimal for the W12v2 if you want my opinion about it? Good luck on the set up & try to get some pic's up here for us to check out!!!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:32 PM

Get this 15" it is on par with the bhrama 15...it is inexpensive because of this company cuts out the cost of the middle man. http://www.stryke.com/AVseries.html If you want to talk to the owner on aim hes a real cool guy, I have bought 5 of these subwoofers from him for my home theater and car applications... his aim screen name is: stryke23x MSN: stryke audio his name is John, if you have any questions just ask him.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:34 PM

I forgot to add that he likes to be conservitave with his numbers. If you ask him, the Linear X-Max on it is actually 28mm one way.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:05 AM

04RedOpMax,

If you want to learn more about enclosure designs & the different benifits. Check This out!
http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/index.html

If you click on the different enclosures below it tells you the good & the bad about them. Enjoy!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by superblack98se
Get this 15" it is on par with the bhrama 15...it is inexpensive because of this company cuts out the cost of the middle man. http://www.stryke.com/AVseries.html If you want to talk to the owner on aim hes a real cool guy, I have bought 5 of these subwoofers from him for my home theater and car applications... his aim screen name is: stryke23x MSN: stryke audio his name is John, if you have any questions just ask him.
Unfortunately, those drivers are no longer available. John sourced them from TC Sounds and they ended their business relationship earlier this year. He is now preparing to start building his own drivers but has run into $$$ trouble in getting the parts. John is also negotiating with Nick from Lambda Acoustics to buy the remaining inventory of parts, the home made magnetizer and all of the trade secrets that went into some of the best sounding woofers in the world.

-Robert
Old 08-24-2004, 09:05 AM

I have a spair one lying around...its brand new
Old 08-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
04RedOpMax,

If you want to learn more about enclosure designs & the different benifits. Check This out!
http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/index.html

If you click on the different enclosures below it tells you the good & the bad about them. Enjoy!!!
Wow, thanks for all the tips, especially from nostrixoxide and HitManSE. I know enuff about car stereo to be dangerous, but I'm willing to learn new stuff and I always do my homework before a project.

I'm leaning towards a Phoenix Gold 300 watt amp. Any thoughts?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
Wow, thanks for all the tips, especially from nostrixoxide and HitManSE. I know enuff about car stereo to be dangerous, but I'm willing to learn new stuff and I always do my homework before a project.

I'm leaning towards a Phoenix Gold 300 watt amp. Any thoughts?
No prob. I just look at it this way 99% of the people out there only know what audio shops tell them (which is bullsh!t most of the time). As for PG, the make solid products. Personally as always id go for more headroom and get a more powerful amp, but once again thats just me.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 PM

I agree with HitmanSE about car stereo shops. When you know the difference between whats fact & whats fiction it's hard to let a stereo shop pull the wool over your eyes. It becomes alot easier to reconize when the BS is coming into play.

As far as wattage is concerned, it never hurts to have more power on tap. But I feel that tunning needs to be a strong suit also. You can have the best equiptment in the world but if you don't know how to adjust it to make it sound supurb then what was the point in spending so much money.
I been told many times after people hear my system or after I adjust the crossovers on there stereo's that I must have a "ear" for sound. Because I either "Man your stereo sounds great", or "I never thought my stereo could sound so good"? I've pretty much done all of the work on my friends vehicles as far as stereo's are concerned & even though sometimes it becomes a hassle "How do you say no to your friends" I don't mind putting in the work to save them a few bucks at the stereo shop. Alot of people tend to forget that if you know how to do the work yourself, thats alot of money you save & can put towards better equiptment. So if theres one thing I hope you can absorb from this thread it would be, "Use quality equiptment & learn about frequency adjustment". It takes time to learn & understand what to listen for, but it's well worth having that knowledge under your belt.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM

well thanks for the replies fellas, appreciate it
Old 08-30-2004, 07:08 PM

there's this guy in houston that's selling his 12" brahma. but the basket design doesn't look familiar to me. is it the older model? he's asking 300 for it.

http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...d.php?t=100360
Old 08-30-2004, 07:24 PM

the DD 2515 is an awesome sub for not too expensive, its my favorite Price/performance sub
Old 08-31-2004, 07:54 AM

there's this guy in houston that's selling his 12" brahma. but the basket design doesn't look familiar to me. is it the older model? he's asking 300 for it.

Thats an MKI, has a different basket & its not an XBL_2 sub (dont think so anyway ) Still a very good sub IMO, but id rather go with the MKII.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:54 AM

Yep, looks like the B12 mark I. The one Adire sells currently is the mark II.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Thats an MKI, has a different basket & its not an XBL_2 sub (dont think so anyway ) Still a very good sub IMO, but id rather go with the MKII.

Nope, definately the Mark I was a XBL^2 sub. The motors between the mark I and II are very similar. The real differences are the basket, spider, and tinsel leads were all improved with the mark II.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
Nope, definately the Mark I was a XBL^2 sub. The motors between the mark I and II are very similar. The real differences are the basket, spider, and tinsel leads were all improved with the mark II.
That is why I put In there. I knew about the tinsel leads and all that but just not sure about the XBL_2. Still a damn good sub IMO.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:18 PM

I don't really have much experience with subs, but anyway, one of my friends has a 12" W7 in his Saab. Just one of these things sounds amazing. Another guy I know has 2 10" W3's in his Jeep. To me, they are beasts.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:41 PM

Forgot to ask if the Mark I performs the same as the Mark II. Did they go for 380 new too back then?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 PM

not sure on the price but i think they perform very similarly. email adire and ask.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
not sure on the price but i think they perform very similarly. email adire and ask.
^^
Old 09-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kove Armageddons U series....... your hears won't thank you later.