Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alright guys, I need some input and opinions on some general stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:56 AM

Alright guys, I need some input and opinions on some general stuff

This is my first post, but I have been lurking around the forums reading as much as I could in order to learn as much as I needed, but did not quite get an answer I was looking for. Hell it probably would have been A LOT easier if the search function could work(well not really I was lurking on an user name that couldn't have been activated, so either way, no search was able to be done lol). But yea I just got my Maxima SE-L about 1-2 months ago and I've been planning to work on the stereo.

Right now, I see my choices as-

1) Get a new HU and a PAC kit(ROEM-NIS2)
or
2) Get a new HU and some how dish some money for new speakers

But my main concern is the HU(I want one that pretty much plays MP3's and CD's). I know I should try and look for one with 4v preamp outputs, but those HU's tend to be out of my price range(Dont offer Eclipse because in my area, well what can I say, people tend to "want" alot of stuff for a five finger discount)

My price range is pretty much $200-300 and I've been looking into the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X579 and the Pioneer DEH-P7600MP. and I do, well from what I've heard that the Pioner Premier name and price, is well, just for the name, correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone has any other suggestions or has experienced these two HU's, I would appreciate it if I was enlightened by your opinions/experiences.

Right now, my path is probably going to be getting the new HU with the PAC kit.

Then I would want to add some subs with an amp

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 08-25-2004, 07:33 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i would go for the pioneer, kenwood has a reputation for poor sound qualities and coloration from their head units
Old 08-25-2004, 08:49 PM

What about the Pioneer DEHP8MP that I read about in a thread earlier? Or is it too new for anyone to know anything about? From what I've read, the MOSFET amp in that Pioneer is pushing 10 watts more than the amps in most of the Pioneers that I see. So I'd automatically assume that the speakers are going to be pushed ATLEAST 22 watts? Would that be enough to hurt/damage the STOCK speakers in my car?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 PM

Sorry to intrude, but do you plan on eventually upgrading the entire audio system? New speakers, amp's, sub(s), etc.???

If so, then I think your best bet is to purchase a deck that has atleast 3 sets of 4v or higher RCA outputs (front, rear, sub) & not to worry so much about how much power the stereo puts out for the speakers. Mainly because if you eventually amp the mid's & highs the deck will not be using it's power supply. So focus more on the features instead of the power. Most of the new receivers now a days are atleast 4v already. I've owned a few different brands of H/U's Kenwood & Pioneer included. Back in the day when I purchased my Pioneer they were known for having low voltage output to the RCA's so I'm not really up to date on todays models. Also my Pioneer had alot of mechanical problems with the CD loading device. And when I bought it back in 95 it was considered top of the line. I would say before you purchase either of those models you should look into Alpine or even Clarion. I'm sure they have something around $300 bucks that will fill the task.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:21 PM

The thing is, I know for sure that I'm going to get an amp and some subs, but the speakers, I have no clue/estimate on when I'll be ready to buy those, along with an amp to power them. Which is why im conscious about the wattage I'm getting from the HU right now cuz most likely, I'll be stuck with that HU and only that HU for awhile(a couple months or so) because I do want to get an alarm system aswell, dont like where I live
Old 08-25-2004, 09:31 PM

Well you have almost the right plan, but what you need to consider is the H/U is the sun & the rest of the equiptment are just the planets. Everything revolves around the H/U so this should be good quality with plenty of functions. So if I was you I would wait until I could afford what I really want. This way you won't have to upgrade it in the future. Purchasing a H/U to get you buy for a few months is not a rational decision. Especially when the factory radio can get you bye
Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 PM

I know exactly what you're saying about the HU, which is why im complentating more over the Pioneer DEHP8MP because I THOUGHT I may have read somewhere that it has 6.5v premamp outputs, I'm not sure at all, but if it is...

edit-heres the link to the specs
http://www.electronicscity.com/produ...roducts_id=600
Old 08-25-2004, 09:50 PM

Well it sure does have enough features. I say scoop it up! I don't think your gonna beat that price $319.00. Seems like a good deal to me.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:58 PM

"Preout Voltage & Impedance Hi-Volt (6.5V), 100 Ohm"

sooo is that pretty much saying that the Preamp outputs are 6.5V? If so, for some reason I just do not believe it lol.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:32 PM

Yes, thats what it means. My Eclipse has 8v preouts so I can beleive that Pioneer fixed there low voltage issues from the past.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 PM

Looks like I know what's going on my list for my birthday