Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Oh no not sickening engine wine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Oh no not sickening engine wine

Well fellas I replaced my Bose door speakers with a sweet set of focal components I was in a rush when I 1st installed them and only ran the speaker wires from the amp to the factory wires behind the head unit so I got around to running wire direct from the amp to the speakers and now I got a sickening engine wine, what should I check? I was thinking maybe the power wires from the Bose that go to the door but I don’t know, if I just cut the power wire under the dash what color wire is the power for the bose?

Btw I have kenwood ddx 7015 ,focal in the doors, Bose still in the rear deck (coming out next week),2 eclipse 10’s all powered by a Phoenix Gold ti 100x4
Old 09-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bad ground, i have the same issue with my bad ground, i just havent had the time to fix it.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

whats the best place to ground my amp in the trunk
Old 09-13-2004, 05:54 PM

if that kenwood amp is new then thats not your problem kenwood uses a floating ground which cacnles out any electrical noise. but yea still check the ground, make sure u dont have any interference from any power wires. a ground kit in the engine bay also helps
Old 09-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Originally Posted by craig10114
if that kenwood amp is new then thats not your problem kenwood uses a floating ground which cacnles out any electrical noise. but yea still check the ground, make sure u dont have any interference from any power wires. a ground kit in the engine bay also helps

na the ddx7015 is my head unit i got a Phoenix Gold ti amp ,rca' are run on a diffrent side from power wire and i ran the speaker wire over the top , ill try the ground kit
thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 12:05 PM
imported_j_maxima

Also check to see if the speakers are in contact with the metal door panel, or any of the speaker screws. Those are all additional ground points that could create a ground loop. Then don't forget to check it you used twisted pair RCA's for that Ti amp. Those amps have a big power supply and you could be picking up a ground loop from low quality RCA's. It's not normally a problem in low power systems, but with that big power supply it could be a problem. Speaker wires won't pick up audible noise.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Originally Posted by j_maxima
Also check to see if the speakers are in contact with the metal door panel, or any of the speaker screws. Those are all additional ground points that could create a ground loop. Then don't forget to check it you used twisted pair RCA's for that Ti amp. Those amps have a big power supply and you could be picking up a ground loop from low quality RCA's. It's not normally a problem in low power systems, but with that big power supply it could be a problem. Speaker wires won't pick up audible noise.
ill try this 2 i did get crappy walmart rcas so mabe this is part of it man im so sick of this all this money i spent and now all i hear over the music is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeee
Old 09-15-2004, 03:28 PM

def upgrade the RCA's they could be bad, PG Ti's are fine amps and probably too sensitive for those POS RCA's- I had a really slight whine that was there when I accelerated, not there while playing music (with HU off) and it went away after I upgraded my grounds to same gauge as power wire (1/0 ga battery to ground, engine to ground)
Old 09-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

yep it was the rcas problem fixed
Old 09-19-2004, 02:40 PM

what RCAs did you end up going with? cause if it worked for you, then i might as well give it a try too.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A32Matt
what RCAs did you end up going with? cause if it worked for you, then i might as well give it a try too.
I went with the middle of the road stinger helix
Old 09-19-2004, 05:31 PM

i have this problem even after upgrading rcas....its a lot less, but still not all gone... :/ donno what to do.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:04 AM

I have same gauge grounds /as power wire's all my rca's are rockford, one set of them is monster, i've kept my rca's as far as from power, except one that goes to bass, but its a monster one and even with bass off and disconnted i still hear whine from speakers, what i did was a small fix was put the gains down on the amp thus at zero volume you dont hear it so much.. my rca's are rockford rca's , i dont know what to do to fix it.

all my grounds are good........!! i i've checked them all out... my cap is grounded good, both my amps are grounded........
Old 09-20-2004, 06:31 AM

i hope is not a sign that you're frontstage amp's input are beginning to go- but since your front speakers are the one's whining, you must swap some other RCA's from that amp to HU to see if it persists or goes away
Old 09-20-2004, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
i hope is not a sign that you're frontstage amp's input are beginning to go- but since your front speakers are the one's whining, you must swap some other RCA's from that amp to HU to see if it persists or goes away

My Rockford Amp is brand new, i dont think its the Amp at all, and no i get the engine whine from front and rear speakers, i have a subwoofer output directry from the head unit to the 2nd amp which is a kenwood.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:00 AM

If that noise is coming out of your speakers , its cause by an input stage problem

it doesnt matter what amp is new, which ever amp is running your front speakers- you have a chance of having either: 1)having blown inputs on the amp, 2) having a bad set of RCA's (which you should check), 3) having a blown output out of your HU

the way to test this is by borrowing/buying a set of rcas, unplug the frontstage amps RCAs from the HU- connect the other set- if problem persists, sorry to say its your HU or Amp- but from my experiences a blown output from a HU will not even send a signal