Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Audiobahn DUBs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 AM

Audiobahn DUBs

Has anyone tried the DUB series from Audiobahn? If so, are they any good? Theyre pretty cheap on ebay and since im broke, im thinking of getting one. Its around 85 bucks shipped for a 700w RMS sub... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 09-26-2004, 05:05 AM
Back from Hibernation

I'm generally not one to trash subs or products I haven't heard personally, but generally Audiobahn = chromed crap that looks cool.

If you care about sound, I wouldn't go there.

Looking for cheap decent subs?

ID10v3 or ID12v3 (Image Dynamics), ED audio (Elemental Designs), MB quart subs to name a few. I'd personally get the ID 10's or 12's
Old 09-26-2004, 05:07 PM

audiobahn belongs in a stereo junkyard for people who arent serious about sound
Old 09-26-2004, 05:16 PM
rilla dope

Hah, I love people with no real basis for gross generalizations. I've had 2 different Audiobahn subs and I'd take them against the JLs, Fosgate, and Diamonds I've had. It depends on what you get. Just like anyone else. There's crap and there's good stuff. Pretty good value in speakers overall though.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:19 PM

Thanks guys

I have another question. Is there any way to lower the watts given to a sub? I have a 600w RMS amp and the ID12v3s are rated at 250w RMS... isnt that too much power?

Sorry, im a newbie
Old 09-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Back from Hibernation

You can overpower the subs a bit, but not too too much. You could go two 10's or 12's, or step up to a sub with higher power handling. Also, keep in mind that not every amp that says it puts out 600 watts actually does.

Lets get more specific....what are your goals...getting real loud or sounding good? How much room do you have to give up? It seems that budget is important? Are you trying to stay under $100?

As for the guy supporting Audiobahn subs, well to each his own. I've heard plenty of different Audiobahn setups...none I didn't chuckle at. For putting it up against ID subs, let's look at real experience. Has anyone ever won an IASCA/USAC finals or SBN with Audiobahn? Of course many do/have with ID....I've heard plenty of ID setups, and when setup correctly, they all do good for the money. JL has made a lot of decent subs over the years....i personally think they're overpriced. I could go on and on about different subs. Obviously I'm biased towards ID cause I've used they're IDMAX v.1 and v.2 soon to pick up V.3 as well as they're old IDQ's (personally)

Chroming a sub doesn't make it sound better Research and design and customer support does. Advantage...ID
Old 09-26-2004, 07:20 PM

released truth- my basis for gross generalizations comes from working at circuit city where we sell audiobahn along with mtx, alpine, pioneer, infinity and others. also being that i study on the side with my manager who has been mecp certified and has won iasca competitions himself, and has worked many times alongside David "fishman" Rivera. taking it from professionals, who do this everyday for a living and have never been impressed by audiobahn my gross generalization seems superior to your personal opinion of audiobahn being better than jl, fosgate, and diamonds. just my .02
Old 09-26-2004, 07:47 PM

Im looking for something that gives good sound quality and can get pretty loud. Ive thought about getting the Infinity Kappa 12.1D because Ive heard pretty good things about it but, like the IDs, i would be overpowering it with my amp.

Space is pretty important right now. I travel back and forth from college and home quite a bit and i need cargo space So one sub would be best.

Budget is also pretty important. Since this is going to be my first system, i dont really want to spend too much. Id say $120 and below would be good.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM

hmm, type-e alpine 12, the infinity kappa is nice as well. what size is your amp?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 PM
rilla dope

Hah, you worked at "circuit city" where they have but a small portion of the Audiobahn line and had a single minded mentor. Congrats. I've installed stereos at a real custom shop for years. Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome subs out there, but people that thrash a name when there are a dozen models available to suit every budget, no love. It's like saying that Bose is good because it says bose and we all know better if we've heard the Maxima bose stereo. Unless you've heard every model, you cannot say with any relative certainty that what he's looking at is crap. Possibly crap? Yes. Probably, yes. Certainly? Nope...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 AM

the name "DUB" just sounds like "BAD SQ" to me hehe...personally, ive never heard an abahn setup that i liked, but to some people loud is loud(like my roommate).
Old 09-27-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by aspec0002
hmm, type-e alpine 12, the infinity kappa is nice as well. what size is your amp?
I have a Rockford Fosgate p6001bd, 600wRMS @ 2ohms
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM

guys are you joking? every pimp my ride/mtv show/famous person rides wit audiobahn!!!!! they know quality when they see it... err pay for it.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by MaxiMaxima
Im looking for something that gives good sound quality and can get pretty loud. Ive thought about getting the Infinity Kappa 12.1D because Ive heard pretty good things about it but, like the IDs, i would be overpowering it with my amp.

Space is pretty important right now. I travel back and forth from college and home quite a bit and i need cargo space So one sub would be best.

Budget is also pretty important. Since this is going to be my first system, i dont really want to spend too much. Id say $120 and below would be good.
get an Eclipse Aluminum or Titanium DVC... you will not be dissapointed
Old 09-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I second ID subs, I'm currently overpowering my ARC 12's (350rms) by +150 rms each(ARC subs= improved version of IDQ) and they are hella clean
Old 09-28-2004, 08:23 PM

releasedtruth- mmk ill agree to part of that, thrashing a brand just because a small taste of it is bad, but in my "opinion" i would never spend me money on audiobahn. more bang for the buck and better quality found elsewhere. now insulting my mentor, not a good idea. youve never seen his work, heard his work, or did his work. not cool. but yea ill say truce to that.

p.s.- sorry not trying to thread jack. ID's are awesome.