Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question about inverter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 01:38 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Question about inverter

If i want to run a laptop off the 12volt in my car, can i get away with a regular inverter, or do i need one of the "pure" inverters? All info on the subject is appreciated!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmBK
If i want to run a laptop off the 12volt in my car, can i get away with a regular inverter, or do i need one of the "pure" inverters? All info on the subject is appreciated!
well there really is no such thing as getting a pure sine wave from a dc source. there are converters out there that are better at realizing the pure sine wave than other inverters. for a laptop power supply, the input voltage should be the closest thing to a pure sine wave because of the nature of the laptop's switch mode power supply design. better yet would be a dc-dc converter that will give you the required dc voltage that your laptop requires with a certain current demand; highly regulated of course.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
well there really is no such thing as getting a pure sine wave from a dc source. there are converters out there that are better at realizing the pure sine wave than other inverters. for a laptop power supply, the input voltage should be the closest thing to a pure sine wave because of the nature of the laptop's switch mode power supply design. better yet would be a dc-dc converter that will give you the required dc voltage that your laptop requires with a certain current demand; highly regulated of course.
if i understood you correctly, a dc-to-dc converter shouldnt do harm to my laptop?
also, i saw car adapters for laptops for sale (about $60). can i use that instead of dc-to-dc converter? (or are THEY the dc-to-dc converters?)

your info is appreciated!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 AM

if i understood you correctly, a dc-to-dc converter shouldnt do harm to my laptop?
also, i saw car adapters for laptops for sale (about $60). can i use that instead of dc-to-dc converter? (or are THEY the dc-to-dc converters?)

your info is appreciated!
yeah, that is a dc-dc converter.

a dc-dc converter just converts a certain dc voltage like 13.8V to some other DC voltage like 19V or whatever. it is harder to do that with DC than AC because you cannot just use a simple transformer to change voltages.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:32 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
yeah, that is a dc-dc converter.

a dc-dc converter just converts a certain dc voltage like 13.8V to some other DC voltage like 19V or whatever. it is harder to do that with DC than AC because you cannot just use a simple transformer to change voltages.

Ok, now i got it. I'll be going with that car adapter for my laptop. Thanks for your time and info!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Ok, now i got it. I'll be going with that car adapter for my laptop. Thanks for your time and info!
no prob dude