Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need Help picking out an amp......

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:41 AM

Need Help picking out an amp......

I am getting 2 12" Audiobahn Subwoofers (AW1206T) each sub has RMS power of 1100 Watts here are their features:

Subwoofer: Dual voice coils offer greater flexibility when you're wiring up your amplifiers, and the cast aluminum basket provides a sturdy foundation.

Stamped and balanced aluminum cone: Delivers clear, detailed bass and the durable 2” multi-layer PHAT foam surround gives the cone plenty of room to move.

1100 watts RMS power

im looking at getting a cheap ampmaybe something off ebay. i found a legacy 2000 Watt amp for $150 would that be a good amp to get? thanx

Thanx.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:54 AM
This is a democracy

have you already wasted the money on the audiobahns? trust me, ditch them before you spend too much. the legacy, is crap. your not gonna get a good amp with a high amount of output for cheap. just doesnt work that way. my suggestion is the hifonics b1500, its like 250 or some where around there and it is better than the legacy, but again, try and get away from audiobahn, trust me, i know from experience.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:20 AM
tastey wheat

yea legacy is crap you get what you pay for, usually. ebay you can usually find good deals.. look for an Orion XTR.. SOMETIMES they have good prices on these and if you can get one of those cheap, if youre feeling lucky. also maybe look for like a Kenwood Excellon (sp?) .., just look for something more name-brandish and you'll be much happier in the end
Old 10-18-2004, 01:23 PM

ok, why ditch the audiobahn, they are pretty good speakers, and sound pretty clkean, these are the new ones.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
ok, why ditch the audiobahn, they are pretty good speakers, and sound pretty clkean, these are the new ones.
audiobahn is for fools that watch too much mtv (pimp my ride). 1100watts RMS...id love to see them handle that lol.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:38 PM

You want a sub that can handle 1,100 watts RMS all day?...JL 13W7.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wish-it-was-AWD
JL can suck a nut. they couldn't even design their own amps correctly.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:21 PM

honestly....... iv'e heard these Audiobahn, and they sound pretty damn good, i would say even better than the jl W7
Old 10-19-2004, 12:11 PM

so i shouldnt get these audiobahns?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:33 PM

Well, you shouldn't get the Legacy, thats for sure. The subs have 2 voice coils each..thats 550w RMS per coil. Are you sure you want dual voice coils? You'll want a 4 channel amp to run these two subs...
Old 10-19-2004, 02:34 PM

honestly....... iv'e heard these Audiobahn, and they sound pretty damn good, i would say even better than the jl W7
wtf? are you ok man? dam son no way audiobahns and jl should ever be compared its like a cheap *** toysrus bicycle compared to a 911 porsche
Old 10-19-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
JL can suck a nut. they couldn't even design their own amps correctly.
...any data to back it up...any experience...anything but a few pecks on the keyboard invested in this "post" of yours...clearly you didn't even invest any thought or it would have at least been original...if you can't post something that contributes something, anything, don't waste space on the board...and if you find subs that suck nuts...buy them, because that is a sub worth experiencing...the closest I've found is the JL because they can make my nuts tingle, if you felt a wet sensation on your nuts, it was probably just a little trickle dribbling down your beanbag...but that's just a hypothesis (based on available data, your post) at this point. Sorry to take this out on you, but there are simply far too many people that just type without giving anything that even resembles a coherent, well-founded thought before, or during their postand it's just a shame those individuals don't realize how ignorant and lazy they sound, not to mention the aforementioned waste of my time and the org's space...and now I'll step off of my soapbox.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was looking at some affordable amps, basically reading the reviews at epinions.com and some other sites. One amp that caught my attention was Power Coustic. The fact that it is comparitavely cheap (~$120) might not mean it is as unreliable as Lanzar or Legacy (other reviews I read). It has MOSFET circuitry, 3 way protection, 3 passes (low, med, high) bass boost, basically all the amenities other (~$300) subs have.

What I try to understand why certain brands are flamed here and some not, just when you mention Pyle or RF. Peeple throw out comments but rarely say anything to back them up. What is it based upon?

Thank you.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmal
Well, you shouldn't get the Legacy, thats for sure. The subs have 2 voice coils each..thats 550w RMS per coil. Are you sure you want dual voice coils? You'll want a 4 channel amp to run these two subs...

really? so illneed a 4 chanel amp. hmmm so what kind of amp thats not too much $$$ would be good to power these 2 subs. Combined they put out 2200 Watts RMS
Old 10-19-2004, 04:21 PM

really? so illneed a 4 chanel amp. hmmm so what kind of amp thats not too much $$$ would be good to power these 2 subs. Combined they put out 2200 Watts RMS
No you do not need a 4 channel amp. You can hook the voice coils up in series, parallel, or a combination of the two and still run the subs off a mono amp.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:27 PM

...any data to back it up...any experience...anything but a few pecks on the keyboard invested in this "post" of yours...clearly you didn't even invest any thought or it would have at least been original...if you can't post something that contributes something, anything, don't waste space on the board...and if you find subs that suck nuts...buy them, because that is a sub worth experiencing...the closest I've found is the JL because they can make my nuts tingle, if you felt a wet sensation on your nuts, it was probably just a little trickle dribbling down your beanbag...but that's just a hypothesis (based on available data, your post) at this point. Sorry to take this out on you, but there are simply far too many people that just type without giving anything that even resembles a coherent, well-founded thought before, or during their postand it's just a shame those individuals don't realize how ignorant and lazy they sound, not to mention the aforementioned waste of my time and the org's space...and now I'll step off of my soapbox.
lol....it is a known fact that JL did not design their amp's power supplies correctly. they exhibit FM interference *******. i contribute plenty to this board so **** off

i sound ignorant? that's funny. i didn't know electrical engineering students were lazy or ignorant.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:34 PM

i contribute plenty to this board so **** off
Indeed? What's your measure of plenty? Is it all quality?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad
Indeed? What's your measure of plenty? Is it all quality?
go read my past posts on electrical theory. or ask don or anyone else.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:00 PM

watup eric. dam i didnt know u were an electronic engineer.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
watup eric. dam i didnt know u were an electronic engineer.

oh **** my bad dude, i totally forgot about the sub, i've been so busy with school and work. you still want it?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:47 PM

I will! I am researching a lot since summer. Trying to learn something new!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:22 PM

known fact, funny, you assumed everyone knew this fact, yet you still have not produced any data...lazy, or ignorant...or just egocentric...we can keep adding assumptions of why you do what you do, but we would not want to be guilty or your mistake, shortrcoming, no pun intended, or fault, sorry....there I go again...you're a bad influence... Oh yeah, and I have a triple major, double minor and a concentration at a good school over110 credits, the plurality at a gradute level of instruction, and have worked for 15 years, so don't even dare attack my knowledge or experience, you don't know me. I was merely trying to illustrate, in a sardonic literary style, how silly it was to make so many ssumptions with no data...you just didn't pick up on it, I'm sorry, I'll be sure to explain all of my jokes for you from now on...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:59 PM

so anymore input for me?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:36 PM

known fact, funny, you assumed everyone knew this fact, yet you still have not produced any data...lazy, or ignorant...or just egocentric...we can keep adding assumptions of why you do what you do, but we would not want to be guilty or your mistake, shortrcoming, no pun intended, or fault, sorry....there I go again...you're a bad influence... Oh yeah, and I have a triple major, double minor and a concentration at a good school over110 credits, the plurality at a gradute level of instruction, and have worked for 15 years, so don't even dare attack my knowledge or experience, you don't know me. I was merely trying to illustrate, in a sardonic literary style, how silly it was to make so many ssumptions with no data...you just didn't pick up on it, I'm sorry, I'll be sure to explain all of my jokes for you from now on...
triple major and double minor? lol

anywho...no one cares about your experience. hey guys...who is reminded of jmax when reading this guy's posts? lol
Old 10-20-2004, 03:25 PM

keep on talking sherlock, you still don't get it...you're just proving my point for me...
Old 10-20-2004, 04:16 PM

triple major and double minor? lol

anywho...no one cares about your experience. hey guys...who is reminded of jmax when reading this guy's posts? lol
dont you dare mention that "genious" in jest here again. all i can remember from him is... "buy any speaker just install it right and your better than everyone else".
Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 PM

What ever happened to him, anyway. I quit coming here for a while and he was gone. Did he get banned or something? Or did you guys finally tell him where to go.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
What ever happened to him, anyway. I quit coming here for a while and he was gone. Did he get banned or something? Or did you guys finally tell him where to go.
he got axed for lying about the whole thing with don. he tried to come back on another sn(i read it in the ban area) but he got served again.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
he got axed for lying about the whole thing with don. he tried to come back on another sn(i read it in the ban area) but he got served again.
Oh yeah, I remember him bichin about that. Didn't realize that got him axed. Good riddance, though.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:45 PM

well that was the major thing aside from him being a general ***.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:08 PM

oh **** my bad dude, i totally forgot about the sub, i've been so busy with school and work. you still want it?

hell yea man just let me know when your ready im ready
Old 10-20-2004, 07:22 PM

Dude, you are trying to impress the wrong crowd
Old 10-20-2004, 07:29 PM

keep on talking sherlock, you still don't get it...you're just proving my point for me...
lol, you get the same amount of respect that JMAX did. haha that sucks.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

buahahaha.........Another pretentious *****......
Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey guys watch out for mr smarty pants- he has a 5yr old Alpine deck that skips cd's
that plays 4V CONSTANT.....lol
Old 10-21-2004, 11:25 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Hey guys watch out for mr smarty pants- he has a 5yr old Alpine deck that skips cd's
that plays 4V CONSTANT.....lol
But hes Gotta be the smartest, hes been working since he was 11.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:36 AM

certainly smarter than you, but more importantly you silly sack of $hit, I'm a better person, because I have character, the one thing you can't fake....
Old 10-21-2004, 11:37 AM

born with the brain, forced to use it, I can understand how you would assume the two are related, simpleton...
Old 10-21-2004, 11:39 AM

Manny, sorry my toys clearly aren't as nice a s yours that your daddy bought for you, and I apologize for not studying only stereos for the past five years, but I've been busy making myself a better person in all facets of life, especially those that have longer-lasting effects...something I know you clearly can't understand....
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 AM

And friend, I didn't care for, ask for, nor do I give a fat, happy rat's a$$ if I ever get "respect" from a sad lonely little person like you...and who is JMAX? your ex? I have earned respect in the resl world, what about you?...20 credits in math...funny, does that make you Stephen f$%king Hawking, or the count....where do you go to school, community college?

Quick Reply: Need Help picking out an amp......