Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Orbital (Exide) Deep Cycle batteries for my stereo... any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Jer

Orbital (Exide) Deep Cycle batteries for my stereo... any good?

Hey guys,

Up where I'm at, Optimas are hard to find, and where I can find them, the prices are disgustingly high.

I've come accross a local shop selling Orbital batteries (they're deep cycle/marine batteries), and for a good price at that. Doing some research it seems that these are quite similar in design to the Optimas - in fact apparently Optima has licensed co's like Exide and Interstate to make some products following typical Optima "spiralcell" design.

I'm just wondering if anyone's used any or has any feedback on the Oribtals... I'm thinking of the ORB34DC-36.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:12 AM

Can't say I've used Orbital but I did install an Optima Yellowtop last week and can definitley notice a difference. The whole car runs smoother and the sound system is sounding much better. I must admit that I also changed the alternator but the deep cycle batteries are, in my opinion, worth it.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Jer

Yeah that's the thing, after I run the stereo for a minute, the stock battery gets very weak. Then again there's also the other reason that I'm replacing it - I've had in there for too long - over 4 years - and run down to zero before on a dead (prior) alternator.. that's not good at all for a starter battery afaik lol)
Old 10-19-2004, 01:36 PM

In regards to Optimas, I had a red-top in my Mazda pickup for 13 years before it started getting weak. It was loaded down with all kinds of current draw from the stereo to the lights, etc. However, since picking up my new car, it's going to be time to switch from stock to the Exide Orbital Extreme battery. Side by side they look alike. Internally there's more conductivity between the cells, can handle a deeper discharge and more cycles, plus all of the cells are internally vented. I'm willing to pay a little extra money for that. Depending on how your stereo is set up, you may be in need of more than just a battery. You might look into a capacitor to keep that voltage more constant at the amplifier. The more current draw you have on the car, the worse the stereo is going to sound (less efficient amplifier) and the worse the car is going to run. Everything on that car is driven off of that battery voltage. So running a capacitor (1 Farad for every 1000 Watts) may help you as well.