Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Lets Talk About Car PC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 AM

Lets Talk About Car PC

Recently i have become interested in the idea of a car pc. i dont know if i am going to actually put it into my car, but i am interested in learning a bit more about it. i have one concern about this mod tho... wen you do this i know we have to move the headunit down, doesnt that become hard to change cds with the shifter being in the way? anyway, if anyone can tell me if that is a problem or not, also does it work with the stock bose? feel free to post screen shots of this thing, maybe it will help incourage me to do this mod

-Tom
Old 10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by gto400no1
Recently i have become interested in the idea of a car pc. i dont know if i am going to actually put it into my car, but i am interested in learning a bit more about it. i have one concern about this mod tho... wen you do this i know we have to move the headunit down, doesnt that become hard to change cds with the shifter being in the way? anyway, if anyone can tell me if that is a problem or not, also does it work with the stock bose? feel free to post screen shots of this thing, maybe it will help incourage me to do this mod

-Tom
No and most likely...

J/K

Mp3car.com forums is a great place to start your research/planning stage. I have considered this mod as well, but it's just not in my budget right now.

As far as changing CDs when you move the HU down, it isn't hard at all. At least it isn't with my pioneer. There is just enough room to get a CD out and in with bending it or anything. I'm not sure about the Bose system though as my car is a GXE and came w/o stock CD player.

As far as playing it through your stock Bose system, I think this thread is what you want: Stock Bose Inputs

Hope this helps! BTW the answer about the input to Bose system was in the FAQs... check em out!

drew

In addition, check out page 2 on my homepage about halfway down, and there is a pic of my HU relocated with my Microvision screen
Old 10-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've been eyeballing this setup from the mini-itx projects page:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bmwpc/

It's fairly well put together and small, but the only reason why I haven't jumped in is the screen. I don't know where I'd mount it, and I don't know if it's big enough for use with some of the navigation software around (letters might be too small using Streets & Trips or Street Altas USA).

And I'm thinking if I swap out the HU for something with a screen, then the cabin will look like the bridge of the Enterprise...

It's definitely a worthwhile project to look at, and not all that expensive. With a mini/nano-itx board and 256/512MB of RAM and a laptop HD you can put a trillion MP3s in the car, plus DVD, navigation, traffic and email ("borrowing" 802.11x access )...