Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subs vs. Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Subs vs. Speakers

Does anybody else feel that you can get a good level of accurate, punchy bass with just speakers and avoid getting a sub alltogether? With no sub, you could avoid the hassle of rattling (my old car rattles to death from the sub) and the money. I know there are plenty of factory systems out there that can pump out a good amount of bass through just component woofers.

Anybody agree?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 AM

yes. but is that enough bass for me? nope. play late nite tip on a nice component system and then compare it on some nice subs.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Does anybody else feel that you can get a good level of accurate, punchy bass with just speakers and avoid getting a sub alltogether? With no sub, you could avoid the hassle of rattling (my old car rattles to death from the sub) and the money. I know there are plenty of factory systems out there that can pump out a good amount of bass through just component woofers.

Anybody agree?
Of course, but it all depends on what type of music you prefer. Component woofers can be an awesome setup if 1) you have the room to use them and 2) you can tune it correctly.

To properly setup component woofers along with mids and tweets in the max would be an extreme custom job, not to mention the tight space contraints. And then, you can still end up with rattling in the doors. But just buy some sound deadening like eDead and problem solved!

Just my .02,
drew
Old 10-20-2004, 10:43 AM

The rattling problem has to do with bass....not with subs. If you don't want to have any bass, then you won't have any ratling.
Regular speakers cannot hit the deeper notes and provide that "umph" that a sub can. If you are really against subs then I would suggest to get a small one, maybe an 8 or a 10.
Also one problem I've noticed is that when people get subs they automatically turn them all the way up. While some may like that but I feel that it cuts into sound quality. Bass provides fill for the speakers, not the other way around.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:53 AM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by roman
The rattling problem has to do with bass....not with subs. If you don't want to have any bass, then you won't have any ratling.
Regular speakers cannot hit the deeper notes and provide that "umph" that a sub can. If you are really against subs then I would suggest to get a small one, maybe an 8 or a 10.
Also one problem I've noticed is that when people get subs they automatically turn them all the way up. While some may like that but I feel that it cuts into sound quality. Bass provides fill for the speakers, not the other way around.
well said roman