Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Custom Subwoofer boxes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 10:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am trying to find someone or some place that can give me reasonable figures for a custom box in my trunk.. i refuse to accept that i have to pay some yahoos at a car audio shop a G for a box of wood.. anyone have any suggestions.. i have so many design ideas.. but i, myself, am building impared.. little help here.
Old 04-15-2001, 05:12 AM

$1,000????????

Originally posted by thebigsadler
I am trying to find someone or some place that can give me reasonable figures for a custom box in my trunk.. i refuse to accept that i have to pay some yahoos at a car audio shop a G for a box of wood.. anyone have any suggestions.. i have so many design ideas.. but i, myself, am building impared.. little help here.
yea i would seriously say *** that i dont know what you're looking for but if you have a decent table saw or a buddy with one you should have no problem , i'd have no problem helping you out with air space and box dimensions...
Old 04-26-2001, 06:56 PM

I'm wonderin the same thing. Anybody got a suggestion?
Old 04-26-2001, 08:56 PM
jmax

Post your sub specs, Thiel/ Small parameters, and your desired listening style. Also include anything else in the signal path like amps/wattage, EQ's, Crossovers, Etc. I am sure someone here will be familiar enough with the drivers you mention to give a good recommendation, otherwise one of us will go to the manufacturers web site and find out what is needed.

Old 04-27-2001, 06:29 AM

I'm in the same boat

I already had a custom box made that cost some beans and now I don't like it anymore because it takes up too much trunk space. Now I'm going to have to get another more custom box done with the amp's under plexy glass in the spare tire well so I can have my trunk space back. Not looking forward to that one bit.
Old 04-27-2001, 10:11 AM

Thanks jmax. But here's my problem. I am thinking about building a custom box myself. I want to build a small box for the trunk that will sit directly behind the rear seat and will not protrude out beyond the hump in the wheel well. I'm really not trying to take up much space at all. I want it to thump pretty good so I'm thinking 10s. I have a a couple of 12s in a bandpass now. I took that box out of my old car but even if I could fit it in the Max it would take up the whole trunk.

I'm trying to determine the best route. Freeair, ported, sealed,....?

I have built a box before, but I did not know about measuring box volume or ports and the like.

Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2001, 12:05 PM

what kind of subs?
Old 04-27-2001, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by loudmaxima
what kind of subs?
I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. What is a good combination for a small space that will still provide some thump at a reasonable price?
Old 04-27-2001, 07:07 PM
jmax

Before you decide which sub to use decide what kind of box you want. I prefer sealed because they are the smallest in general, have the best transient response, best low frequency extension and built the proper size without leaks won't allow the cone to go beyond X-max significantly. Vented and bandpass can overexcur below the tuning frequency if built incorrectly. But the ported and bandpass built properly can have significantly greater output. The trick with bandpass and vented systems is that the internal volume, lack of leaks, and port dimensions need to be as accurate as possible. A slight miscalculation can make a very bad sounding sub. There is also an aperiodic enclosure which is more difficult to make than the sealed enclosure, has greater low freq extension and better transient response. It is more difficult to build and won't work with as many different subs.

A sealed box the size of the wheel wells extending across the width of the trunk could probably work with two tens. I will have to get some measurements tomorrow. It may also work with a few ported boxes, but most ported boxes this small require expensive woofers. But you need to decide what type of SQ you want.

Old 04-28-2001, 12:31 PM

jmax, thanks for your insights. I am going to take some measurements of exactly how far and high I want the box to be. Once I have that and figure out the inbox volume, speakers can be considered right? I took a look on ebay last night. There looks like there are some speakers on there for cheap. That's a good thing because I don't have much to spend on this project. I'll post the measurements tommorrow as I'm off to a wedding today.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2001, 12:46 PM

1000 for a Maxima box is crazy, let alone a box in any car. I built a custom box for my 2 Audiobahn AW1200s and it slammed, although it did take up my entire trunk. I guess that's the price you pay for getting subs that need a big box.

$30 for 3/4 mdf
$20 for silicone and other junk
$6 for carpet
$5 for screws

I can dig up some pics if you like.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2001, 12:16 AM

checkout http://www.decware.com/dbk10.htm this may be my answer! After doing some research, the dimensions are very close to what i would like.

I measured the trunk space and found it to be 31" across the back seat, 16" high (to the trunk latch bars) and I don't want it to stick out more than 14 inches as the trunk is only 39 inches from front to back.

The box has actual dimensions of 13.5 X 13.5 X 19. This would work well. Also, I have a Kohler amp. Haven't seen anything from them, I bought it like 2 years ago. It served my 2 12s in a bandpass well. I want to use it again. Here are a few specs regarding it:
Kohler XM-6650
300x2CH
2 20A fuses.

So if this is to be the box and amp, now I need to figure out what kind of 10s to get. I'm really more interested in producing serious boom than anything else with the box.

Whadda ya think?
Old 05-01-2001, 10:25 AM

So I guess no one has any experience with this product then.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:09 PM

my home page

Originally posted by cbock

I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. What is a good combination for a small space that will still provide some thump at a reasonable price?
Take a look and see if this helps you. They are a pair of MTX 12" 6000 subs and one DEI 600d mono amp. I still have trunk room and some bumps
Old 05-01-2001, 09:42 PM

Re: my home page

Originally posted by Jon Little

Take a look and see if this helps you. They are a pair of MTX 12" 6000 subs and one DEI 600d mono amp. I still have trunk room and some bumps
That's a nice setup Jon! But that looks like too much trunk room has been eaten up. I can't afford to loose that much space. I think I'm gonna try building the other box in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the pics though. Nice ride.
Old 05-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: my home page

i mean no offense, but why would you put your boxes of subs in seperate boxes themselves and then in one big box.. what's the point in that.. save your money.. make an angled box (1 box) and have em fire up with an amp rack.. that big box looks goofy and the impedence is all off with all those seperate boxes..
Old 05-07-2001, 12:54 PM

Thanks jmax. But here's my problem. I am thinking about building a custom box myself. I want to build a small box for the trunk that will sit directly behind the rear seat and will not protrude out beyond the hump in the wheel well. I'm really not trying to take up much space at all. I want it to thump pretty good so I'm thinking 10s. I have a a couple of 12s in a bandpass now. I took that box out of my old car but even if I could fit it in the Max it would take up the whole trunk.

I'm trying to determine the best route. Freeair, ported, sealed,....?

I have built a box before, but I did not know about measuring box volume or ports and the like.

Any ideas?
Generally a sealed box will yield the smallest volume, it all depends on the subs that you choose and which you can fit into the smallest enclosure you want. A DEI Compx 12" can fit in as small an enclosure as 0.45 cu ft. net volume.
Old 05-07-2001, 01:20 PM

checkout http://www.decware.com/dbk10.htm this may be my answer! After doing some research, the dimensions are very close to what i would like.

I measured the trunk space and found it to be 31" across the back seat, 16" high (to the trunk latch bars) and I don't want it to stick out more than 14 inches as the trunk is only 39 inches from front to back.

The box has actual dimensions of 13.5 X 13.5 X 19. This would work well. Also, I have a Kohler amp. Haven't seen anything from them, I bought it like 2 years ago. It served my 2 12s in a bandpass well. I want to use it again. Here are a few specs regarding it:
Kohler XM-6650
300x2CH
2 20A fuses.

So if this is to be the box and amp, now I need to figure out what kind of 10s to get. I'm really more interested in producing serious boom than anything else with the box.

Whadda ya think?
Depending on the subs you get this still could be wasted space. You should measure the maximum amount of volume you are willing to give up and then choose a subwoofer combo to fit into that space. Don't forget to account for box material thickness, woofer displacement and internal bracing that will subtract from that overall volume. Your overall volume suggested by your measurements is 3.0 cu. ft. total accounting for box material thickness. Bracing and displacement should total around 1.5 cu ft. leaving you with 1.5 cu ft internal volume for each sub. You should easily be able to fit 2 12's in that space.

As for your Kohler amp well I don't see it being anything special. Be carefull of that 300Wx2 power rating as that amp will barely put out 120Wx2 based on a simple Ohms Law calculation.

If you're going to be using that amp look for a sub that fits your enclosure requirements and also has a fairly high efficiency rating. Image Dynamics ID12's come to mind as subs that are fairly efficient and don't require alot of space (1.0 cu ft minimum each) http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/tech..._idq12dvc.html
Old 05-09-2001, 04:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would suggest a box that fires thru the ski hole opening and is sealed off from the trunk completely.
You can see more pics on my website
Currently, i will be building a box of that design for my a/d/s 310RS.2
Old 05-09-2001, 08:13 PM
jmax

What happened to the Perfect's

So what happened to the Infinity Perfect's? I thought you loved them? Did the MTX finally due them in? How are you going to power the ADS?

On another note, did you get the complete component set with your W180? Or just the pair of 7's? Let's see if you can guess what #223 will be tomorrow.

Old 05-09-2001, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What happened to the Perfect's

Originally posted by jmax
So what happened to the Infinity Perfect's? I thought you loved them? Did the MTX finally due them in? How are you going to power the ADS?

On another note, did you get the complete component set with your W180? Or just the pair of 7's? Let's see if you can guess what #223 will be tomorrow.
Did you mean pic 224?
Are those grilles for hex midbasses?
If so, then the pics of the finished door should be up tomorrow.
Perfects have been sold
A/D/S will be powered by the 1600 watts mtx
Gains low of course
Old 05-09-2001, 08:32 PM
jmax

No, they are the polyvinyl foam core material of the cover for the rear hole in the door. So the doors should be damn close to finished for this stage. I put a little glass around the edges of the blue foam. Tomorrow I will reinstall while it is still slightly flexible and cover with glass and epoxy while on the door. That will reqire leaving the doors not only unlocked but ajar for 1-2 hours. When it starts to set I will take the then two pieces, one for each door back to the garage to be layered in - probably carbon/kevlar, If i am feeling cheap it will be plain glass or kevlar. Look for a pic in a couple days.

Old 05-24-2001, 10:40 AM
pauljs

single 12

how about a single 12" like an alumapro alchemy. I've seen a couple of cars with this setup that hit pretty hard, at least in my opinion as much as 2 10's. If you went with a single 12, your mounting options would be infinite. I'm thinking of doing this to my max in the near future with a fiberglass box built into the corner of the trunk. Shouldn't take up any useable trunk space at all, although I may end up firing it through the ski hole. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Disco Biscuit

My suggestion now that I have one? JL Stealthbox. Ya, I know thre are people that hate JL,( don't ask me why) but now that I have one, it's just what I need. No I won't win any SPL contests, but to me that's just noise pollution. If you're not going to competitions with your car, I'd say anything over 2 10" woofers is overkill. It also sounds like you aren't concerned so much with the quantity of bass if you are considering smaller enclosures. The JL uses a 10W6 woofer, handles 300 watts RMS, (sounds like the Kohler bridged will do just fine) and takes up no usable trunk space. It's not cheap, but you can get one new for around $400.Very solid, very well built, and will pound the hell out of you inside the car. I don't think there are many shops out there that can build a box that even comes close to the Stealthbox. Best part about it, is once it's installed, it's bolted to the frame with a 3\8" bolt. If anyone even realizes it's there, they will have a really hard time stealing it. Just another option to consider.
Old 05-24-2001, 01:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: my home page

i mean no offense, but why would you put your boxes of subs in seperate boxes themselves and then in one big box.. what's the point in that.. save your money.. make an angled box (1 box) and have em fire up with an amp rack.. that big box looks goofy and the impedence is all off with all those seperate boxes..
As long as the wiring of speakers is correct the impedence mismatch of speakers to wire terminals of each box will not be significant enough for any concern. The big box is for aesthetic packaging... I think it looks pretty good but wouldn't want it sole for lack of trunk space.

Jon, couple questions though:
1) have you had any issues with the amp running hot? It doesn't seem to get any circulation.
2) How does it look with the strobe light on?
Old 06-03-2001, 07:59 PM
KCTYPHOON

hey just thought you should know cause i dont think anyone has mentioned it.. if you plan on goin with a sealed box(my suggestion) the speakers will have to be facing the trunk, and have to be facing about 12" away from the trunk for the best sound. so, if trunk space is a serious issue,you may wanna look at a sigle 10 in a self enclosure.. the alumipro ones are pretty nice.. but with run ya about the same as 2 12"'s... heres mine.. take a look, i made a custom wood bottom that is hinged to provied access to the spare...