Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

bypassing clutch for remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bypassing clutch for remote start

I was browsing the org looking for info on remote starts. Then I peered into my FSM diagram on starting system.

As stated before (best done by Craig in the 3rd gen forum), my 4th gen has a clutch interlock switch behind the clutch pedal lever. This's easily distinguished from the cruise switch, which's located at the front of the clutch pedal lever.

When the pedal and switched are depressed, the green/orange wire is grounded by a black wire. So to remote start, yet retaining the clutch function (when not remote starting), ground the green/orange wire when remote starting. Pearl96Max can probably elaborate. I'm thinking using a negative status, ignition, accessory, or starter wire. I dunno which one, so someone more experienced will hafta say.

Next up, figuring out the neutral position switch.

Jae
Old 12-19-2004, 02:00 PM

Ok, found the neutral position switch info. Also known as park/neutral position switch. For us 5sp people, it's the green/white wire in terminal 22 of the ecu. When the ignition switch is on, it should read 0v if it's in neutral, and 5v if it's in gear. Using this info, it's easy to add a relay which will inhibit the grounding of NPS above if necessary. Good luck!

Jae
Old 12-19-2004, 02:43 PM

Bah, still trying to think of a safer 5sp remote start. Here's another one, for the parking brake. I'm sure others know this one already, esp for video displays for the front passengers.

When the parking brake is applied, it is grounded. So look for a yellow wire. I'm not sure where the yellow wire goes... under the center tunnel or under the driver seat.

Jae
Old 12-19-2004, 05:43 PM

I looked at the FSM and found that while you're gonna mess w/the BCM to hook up the trunk trigger, you should also do the door triggers, which's red/white, right next to the trunk trigger Purple/Yellow.

Jae
Old 12-19-2004, 09:48 PM

If you don't have the trunk release, you're gonna hafta work a lil harder to get a trunk release to work. Install the trunk release solenoid as you see fit. The best approach is to use a straight bracket and mount 4" away from center to the driver side.

Alright, now look for the stock release harness. It's white, and should be taped to the left a little. Wire the purple/white and purple/yellow to the solenoid, doesn't matter which's pos/neg (you can always change later)

Back to the cabin, DEI says the (-) purple/yellow is low in the driver kick panel. Remove the panel with a thumb nut, and pull the panel toward the gas pedal (held by 2 stubs). I found a white connector with about 18 wires higher up. One way leads to the door, other way leads to the fuse panel. You'll find your purple/yellow there.

Jae
Old 12-19-2004, 09:55 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Jae,

For the clutch you can just use status output if you want to bypass it Only during remote start. Othersie just ground and you never need the clutch again for stating the car.

The NSS wire is the green/white one you found, but can just be wired into the NSS input of the alarm along with the switch. The door trigger,trunk trigger,trunk release,parking lights, and brake wire can all be tapped right in the drivers kickpanel. Definately alot easier there.

For adding a trunk release solenoid. Just add the solenoid itself in the rear then either add the button that typically comes with it, Or just wire it directly to the alarm only. Thus making it keyless trunk release.

--Don
Old 12-21-2004, 01:33 PM

Awesome, thanx Pearl!

Looking at the DEI sheet, there's no info on dome light. If for some reason you want to hook something up, look for red/white wire coming off the BCM. It's all the way on the right if you're looking @ the center console. It's (-).

Anyways, if you're unlocking the doors already, that should turn on the dome light.

Jae