Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Using an Ipod with stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 09:17 AM

Using an Ipod with stock radio

I'm sure this has been asked (didn't feel like searching thru the countless threads). But has anyone done this yet? Reason I'm asking, is because a co-worker of mine got one (I really was never interested in one) but until now I find out that it will work with most radios by using a station that is hardly used to connect the Ipod. Is that the case with the Max's as well? Will this work by using just a station? And also does it need to type of connection to the car (adapter)?

Thanks........
Old 12-28-2004, 10:02 AM

its a transmitter you buy for the i-pod, ~$30....it plugs in and u press play, then just set ur radio to station 8x.xx, and it plays...no car modifications necessary
Old 12-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

now I'm curious about this, my biggest question is how does it i sound? i mean i know the transmitter is so close that there shouldn't be any interference but how does it sound coming over the radio, is it able to keep the same bass and such when it comes over the radio?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Originally Posted by blakstarz
I'm sure this has been asked (didn't feel like searching thru the countless threads). But has anyone done this yet? Reason I'm asking, is because a co-worker of mine got one (I really was never interested in one) but until now I find out that it will work with most radios by using a station that is hardly used to connect the Ipod. Is that the case with the Max's as well? Will this work by using just a station? And also does it need to type of connection to the car (adapter)?

Thanks........
then why should someone go out of their way to answer anymore of your questions if you too lazy to look for yourself?

if you had looked down a couple of threads you would have seen a post already about it.

Originally Posted by 92graymax
now I'm curious about this, my biggest question is how does it i sound? i mean i know the transmitter is so close that there shouldn't be any interference but how does it sound coming over the radio, is it able to keep the same bass and such when it comes over the radio?
i have heard that it sounds okay, not the greatest at some times. the effective range is around 10 ft or so. it should be no different than a radio broadcast as far as sound goes. if you want to hook up an ipod to your headunit, then buy an adapter or a new alpine unit.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:03 PM

you will not get a digital sound. i was actually at the good guys tonight, and they said that it does not sound very great.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 PM

I rode around a few times this summer with a friend of mine who has an Itrip adapter. You install software on the Ipod and then you find a station with absolutely nothing but static on it and you tell the Ipod to use that station. If the station is pure static and there is nothing at all on it, then the signal will be strong and work well. It sounds pretty good, nothing amazing, but basically clear radio with your music. It works with any radio.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:11 AM

or you can buy the cassette adapter kit for it....

Ant
Old 12-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The I Trip is only a good idea if all your driving is done within a relatively small area. Because when you find a clear radio station, and set your frequency to it, it will sound OK, but once you drive about 30 miles, a station might pop up on that frequency, and you'll have to change it, which is kinda of a PITA.

Honestly if you have a stock head unit with a tape, just buy a tape adapter and be done with it, much better quality than I-Trip.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:25 PM

someone should try this out and let everyone know how it works.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/
Old 12-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by reygarcia
then why should someone go out of their way to answer anymore of your questions if you too lazy to look for yourself?

if you had looked down a couple of threads you would have seen a post already about it.
Look, I didn't join this forum to hear someone ***** about my posting this....either contribute to the post or don't bother responding. Is it bothering you that god damn much I posted it? Anyway, thanks for those who did respond. I'll probably go ahead a get the cassette thing and use that.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Chassis Freak

No matter what, it physically cannot sound good because it's using FM modulation to transmit the signal. That's analog, meaning you lose something in the conversion, and it doesn't have great dynamic range. If you just want to hear your mp3s in your car, it's fine, but if you're an audiophile it won't cut it.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:34 AM
VE Powah!!!

I use my i-Pod all the time with the transmitter, & I think it sounds pretty good. I live in SoCal, & the only station that works is (87.9) I'm pretty sure thats the one you should use, Almost guarenteed. I just leave it sitting under my E-Brake & its really easy to change the songs ect. All depends on where you position it in the car. Usually sounds best when its close to you or the receiver.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:30 AM

Sounds good to me.....thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 09:05 AM

oh you guys, i just bought a bunch of rca splitters last night and tried to fit it on my aftermarket headunit and it works! i only spent $16 dollars.

if you are planning to hook up the ipod on the stock radio, the only thing i see going is the fm transmitter. but i recommend getting an aftermarket radio and plugging the ipod to the rca cables behind it. it sounds really good. i bought a fm transmitter last night also, to compare the sound quality and it was no where near the sound compared to the ipod hooked up directly to the rca's of the radio.

for some, the fm transmiter is good enough, but just imagine your favorite radio station with perfect signal, (almost) it sounds good enough right? but when i hooked up the ipod to the rca's, it sounded way better in my opinion. i gotta go return mine tonight. hope this helps blakstarz.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks Maximus......what aftermarket radio do you have in the max?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by blakstarz
Thanks Maximus......what aftermarket radio do you have in the max?

i have the alpine cva-1003 with a pioneer unit right under it to play dvd's and cd's. but if you get any regular headunit, it should have an auxilaury rca cables which will work just fine. just make sure the aftermarket unit has an aux input, and the ipod will work perfectly. sound quality will be just like cd quality. good luck.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
oh you guys, i just bought a bunch of rca splitters last night and tried to fit it on my aftermarket headunit and it works! i only spent $16 dollars.

if you are planning to hook up the ipod on the stock radio, the only thing i see going is the fm transmitter. but i recommend getting an aftermarket radio and plugging the ipod to the rca cables behind it. it sounds really good. i bought a fm transmitter last night also, to compare the sound quality and it was no where near the sound compared to the ipod hooked up directly to the rca's of the radio.

for some, the fm transmiter is good enough, but just imagine your favorite radio station with perfect signal, (almost) it sounds good enough right? but when i hooked up the ipod to the rca's, it sounded way better in my opinion. i gotta go return mine tonight. hope this helps blakstarz.
Exactly. Even with perfect reception, a song on FM radio will not sound nearly as good as the same song on CD, on the same system. This is a good method for getting an iPod to sound good. Nice work.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by VQuick
Exactly. Even with perfect reception, a song on FM radio will not sound nearly as good as the same song on CD, on the same system. This is a good method for getting an iPod to sound good. Nice work.

thanx. the only thing i gotta do now is to make a nice custom place for my ipod to sit. i wonder where i can place the ipod. gotta do that today, cant wait!