Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Factory alarm

Ok I been meaning to post this but I have a 96 SE which I bought used from a Volkswagen Dealership and noticed that I have 2 alarms? Okay I have what looks like a factory alarm which came with the car am I correct? Than I have a alarm which is under the steering wheel below. The thing is neither of my car alarms work. The keyless entry from Nissan locks and unlocks the car but doesnt set a alarm. I asked the delarship after I bought the car if they intalled the second alarm underneath the steering wheel and they said no. So I need to know how to go about to diarm the second alarm and get my factory installed alarm to work again.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey There Mr. Paperboy...

the alarm under the steering wheel is stock....it is a kill switch, basically. I have taken mine out too much and now every other time i start my car i have to push it up a little so it connects all the way(but yeah the little thing down there is stock...
Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Oh really! Okay well then am I suppose to have some sorta key or chip for it? All I got when I bought the car was the key and the remote to lock unlock and open the trunk. Am I suppose to have something else to activate the alarm?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:26 PM

well in the little place down there there is a little chipobject with a place for a keychain but its usually best to just leave it in there...it also have a little light on it, look kind to the left under ur steering wheel...
Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 PM

No I know where it is but what do I need to activate the alarm? A card, key what? I bought this from a new/used volkswagen dealership and they never gave me anything to activate the alarm. SO I want to know what I need and if I can obtain a new one so that I can activate my car alarm. Can you get these from Nissan and how much does it run?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:37 AM

I dont think you have to activate it; to see if it works, take it out and see if you can start your car ....to see if your other alram works lock your car with your windows down and unlock it by reaching through the window to unlock the door and if the alram goes of than it works...
Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 AM

Yeah well I tried that after I got the car...I tried opening the doors with the alarm set and nothing happend, but I always thought it was the alarm under my steering wheel that had deactivated the alarm. I wasnt aware that the alarm underneath came with the Maxima. Well I see a little hole but I dont see anything to put in it. So how do I go about getting a new one to activate my kill switch? And I wonder why my regular car alarm doesnt work?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 AM

Your factory alarm should arm once you lock the car with the key. Roll your window down. Lock the car with the key. Wait one minute. reach inside and unlock the door and open it. The factory alarm should go off. It will probably go off the second you unlock it if I remember correctly.

Have the aftermarket stuff removed and buy a new one. You'll waste your time and money trying to find out what brand it is and ordering a remote maybe to find out that it doesn't work. If you just need an alarm you go to any DEI dealer and get one for about $200 installed.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:03 AM

Yeah my alarm doesnt go off...any suggestions why? Like I said I've had my Max for almost 3 years and the alarm doesnt work and I bought it from a new/used Volkswagen lot, they just got the Max 1 day before from a trade in...Like I said I always figured the alarm didnt work because of the alarm under my steering wheel.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:26 AM

also does anyone know what model of kill switch to my engine I have? Its just this thing with a red light that blinks and a little circle hole next to the light that is below my steering wheel. I need to figure out where to obtain a new stick or what not to it.