Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

what 12" to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 12:53 PM

its 3/4 thick, and it has alot of liquid nails lol. That box is sealed tight a termite wont be able to get out of that lol.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

robert and slick rick, are you guys serious that ed is made by id? a lotta people are telling me bs......
Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 PM
mjg

I took apart the backseat today to fix the rattling from the seatbelts... That definatly was NOT fun. Anyhow as the sub is breaking in it's definatly sounding alot better, even though it's in the huge box. I'm really not thinking it's not sounding that bad at all... would anyone give any input that actually owns this sub? Maybe the big box isn't such a terrible thing??
Old 01-20-2005, 08:22 PM

i thought i fixed my rattling after taking apart the back seat but once i went ported it all came back
Old 01-20-2005, 08:25 PM
mjg

hahah
thanks for the vote of confidence ; ).
Old 01-20-2005, 10:49 PM

yes. a friend of mine verified it with me months ago after i asked him because i was looking at the id subs and they look eerily similar to the subs. who denies it? CA.com??
Old 01-21-2005, 06:51 AM

ED is a small operation and doesn't have the time/manpower to build subs. They used to use TC Sounds as their build house but there were problems. I'll let you search the car audio archives to determine who was at fault. They now use ID as the build house which is no big deal. They could have easily picked Eminence, Destijl, NCA Labs or any other build house.

-Robert
Old 01-21-2005, 09:11 AM

^^^ its obvious when you looked at this...http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID12V3D4

and compare it to this...http://www.edesignaudio.com/site/kv2...es/13kv2_2.jpg

if anything people shouldbe happy about this... great sq subs for cheap.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:28 AM

i'm extremely happy. but ed uses weird sizes correct? and their 13kv2 handles more power than the new id12v3's right??
Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
^^^ its obvious when you looked at this
I looks like ID either makes that basket or they have exclusive rights to it from their supplier.

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
but ed uses weird sizes correct?
They use weird names. The 9 is actually an 8 and fits in a cutout for an 8.

and their 13kv2 handles more power than the new id12v3's right??
First, power handling is one of the most over-rated specs of a sub. Unless you are in an SPL competition, you will more then likely reach xmax before reaching the thermal rating of your sub. Second, you are comparing apples to oranges. Even though the same company built both subs, doesn't mean that they will perform identically. Ben at ED was the designer and ID built them to his specs. They should be treated as different subs.

-Robert
Old 01-21-2005, 10:26 AM

^^ good to know. i'd love to hear them side by side. ed is a lil cheaper too... i wonder how either of these would hang against w3v2s cuz i'm trying to find good alternatives for a friend. from the looks of it either of these could probably outperform it, any disagreements?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
MaximaFreak

W3v2 = overrated. Just like all JL's stuff. Sure, it's good, but there's plenty out there that rivals it.
DEI CompX
IDMAX
IDQ
Eclipse Titanium
BA Pro
etc, etc, ad nauseum

JL just has the most prevalent marketing techniques ... don't fall for marketing.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:53 AM

^^ good to know. i'd love to hear them side by side. ed is a lil cheaper too... i wonder how either of these would hang against w3v2s cuz i'm trying to find good alternatives for a friend. from the looks of it either of these could probably outperform it, any disagreements?
man w3s, type r's, shivas, kv2s, atlas's, idv3s are all similar. give them the right power in the right box and you'll love any of those setups. me personally, i take my shivas over the w3s and type r's anyday. this is because ive heard shivas,type r's, w3v2s all in the same size sealed box with the same or very similar power.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:03 AM
MaximaFreak

man w3s, type r's, shivas, kv2s, atlas's, idv3s are all similar. give them the right power in the right box and you'll love any of those setups. me personally, i take my shivas over the w3s and type r's anyday. this is because ive heard shivas,type r's, w3v2s all in the same size sealed box with the same or very similar power.

I have never heard shiva's, but this general statement is true more often than not.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
W3v2 = overrated. Just like all JL's stuff. Sure, it's good, but there's plenty out there that rivals it.
DEI CompX
IDMAX
IDQ
Eclipse Titanium
BA Pro
etc, etc, ad nauseum

JL just has the most prevalent marketing techniques ... don't fall for marketing.
those subs are way out of the league of w3's...

rick, i know you like your shivas but they need too big of a box man. you can't just do 1 ft^3 sealed like the others...the w3 beats the type r imo, i dunno about the new one though. i'd still like to hear the ed k and idv3 though...they look promising. the new type r does too. i still havent heard any of the new mainstream stuff, new kickers and what not.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:11 PM

those subs are way out of the league of w3's...

rick, i know you like your shivas but they need too big of a box man. you can't just do 1 ft^3 sealed like the others...the w3 beats the type r imo, i dunno about the new one though. i'd still like to hear the ed k and idv3 though...they look promising. the new type r does too. i still havent heard any of the new mainstream stuff, new kickers and what not.

ill bet you my whole maxima you can! like i said...ive compared 2 12" type r, w3v2, and my shivas all in a 2cuft sub box (1cube per sub sealed) off between 550-600 watts and the results were shiva, w3, type r. i know my box for the shivas are small i guess but even on adires webpage for car use .95 qtc is what they recommend. oh also... the type r's were in a smaller car than my maxima and the shivas still won. and the dub 3's were in a 5th gen maxima too.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:07 AM

good to know. have you heard solos? i know their sq is no match but their output should be greater yes? i've never heard anything but the kickers in my max so i have no idea. my friend has 3 10w3v2 sealed in a 4th gen but i think the 4th gen just gets louder overall
Old 01-22-2005, 09:46 AM

i heard 1 l7 12" in about a cube sealed (maybe even smaller) about 3 years ago in an explorer off 400 watts rms and it was LOUD. however, it was in an suv. i also like shivas because they are very light.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:56 AM

i've heard 12L7's in a small sealed box before (like 0.7~0.8 or something before displacements) and it just got loud as hell and was pretty fast (this guy mostly listened to dance/electronica and some rock). i had my 10's in 1cuft sealed ea and they BLEW man. truthfully i think if that 12 was in a bigger box, it woulda sucked just as much, and all sealed boxes truthfully sound like **** with the solos when listening to rap and stuff. i personally am quite proud of my L5's now that they're ported. i used to think they were such pieces of ****. i can safely say they get louder than any other hundred dollar sub i've ever heard. and imo they can get as loud as any sub twice the price and still sound decent given the proper install.

once i went ported i told all my friends i got new subs. some people i said i got 12's some people i said i got a 15" (both lies ported lol) and they all listened and were amazed. even moreso once they opened the trunk and saw the new box w/the same profile amp running it
Old 01-22-2005, 09:58 AM

sounds like you're content with your system...which is hard to do in car audio.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:20 AM

i wish they made kickpanels for 4th gens. i would like to hear the bass surrounding me than having it all coming from the rear.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 PM

sounds like you're content with your system...which is hard to do in car audio.
not so fast! our car's rattle more than a million coins shaking around in a piggy bank. if there was only some way i could get my lazy @ss to use all 100sqft of my deadener that's been collecting dust in my closet or find someone that'll do it for me for free cuz i'm hard i'd be content lol. jpjp, but in any case i am content for the fact that i paid less than five hundred dollars for the junk in my trunk INCLUDING wiring! i'd be hard pressed to find a setup that gets as loud and sound decent for that much. i used to love my friends w6v2's but ever since i went ported all he really has on me is sq, and if my 10's were 12's (and just L5's not even L7's) the output would blow him away. right now it's just about par (thought i really have no idea cuz he drives a blazer and those got loud with his old ***** 8's). also i was blaming the amp for the lack of output in the sealed app...now i really can't talk **** on profile except it's ugly, a current hog, and...it's a profile haha
Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM

oh see i dont even mention sound deadening because its useless in a 5th gen if you have a good system. i just deal with the rattling even with edead v3 all over.