Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stock Speaker Dampening

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Stock Speaker Dampening

just windering if any of you have dampened your doors at all for the speakers, it rattles my doors and its get annoying, just looking for some feredback.

thanx
Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I did in mine. First I lined the trunk and doors with proteco wrap from the roofing section in home depot. The stuff is like a generic dynomat except you wont go broke buying it ($75 for 75 sq. ft. as opposed to $180 for 75 sq. ft.).
Next it lined that same area with carpet foam ($0.30 per sq. ft.) and also put foam on the inside of the door panel. Remember, you do not need 100% coverage to make this work. I bought about 75 sq feet of each and it looks like I will have about 25 sq ft extra. I also used quick drying 3M foam glue for the carpet foam.

To finish the job I bought 32 new door panel pegs (for all 4 doors) from everthingnissan.com. They are revised and come with a ring of foam on them so when they clip into the metal hole on the door they are rattle free. The originals have no foam, just bare plastic, lets get ready to raaaaaaattllllllle!

The ride quitness is now like a true luxury car with almost no road noise. Going over train tracks is silent as well now. Also, I can now crank up the volume with no rattles from the door panel.

This only added about 30 lbs. to the car. Forget all that horse **** of it weighing you down by 200 lbs.! So do not worry about that.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:40 PM

When you say you lined it, do you mean you pulled the rear deck, sandwiched dynomat between the deck and the chassis support? Or did you put it in the trunk?

Did you pull the door panels and stuff dynomat between the door and the door panel? Or did you put it inside the doors?

Wha Chu Talkn' bout Willis?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
I did in mine. First I lined the trunk and doors with proteco wrap from the roofing section in home depot. The stuff is like a generic dynomat except you wont go broke buying it ($75 for 75 sq. ft. as opposed to $180 for 75 sq. ft.).
Next it lined that same area with carpet foam ($0.30 per sq. ft.) and also put foam on the inside of the door panel. Remember, you do not need 100% coverage to make this work. I bought about 75 sq feet of each and it looks like I will have about 25 sq ft extra. I also used quick drying 3M foam glue for the carpet foam.

To finish the job I bought 32 new door panel pegs (for all 4 doors) from everthingnissan.com. They are revised and come with a ring of foam on them so when they clip into the metal hole on the door they are rattle free. The originals have no foam, just bare plastic, lets get ready to raaaaaaattllllllle!

The ride quitness is now like a true luxury car with almost no road noise. Going over train tracks is silent as well now. Also, I can now crank up the volume with no rattles from the door panel.

This only added about 30 lbs. to the car. Forget all that horse **** of it weighing you down by 200 lbs.! So do not worry about that.

Sweet move bro!!, thanks for the idea.. I'm gonna have to steal it from you
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM

ahh nice man, so when you installed it you put it on the door itself not sanwhiched between the doorpanel and the door right?

hmm those clips i may have to buy them, you have apart number or a link to them?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
ahh nice man, so when you installed it you put it on the door itself not sanwhiched between the doorpanel and the door right?

hmm those clips i may have to buy them, you have apart number or a link to them?

No actually what I understand is you need to remove the door panel and shove as much stuffing as possible then put door panels back on.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM

hmmmmm ima have to get sum o this stuff,, i need sumthing light u know, did u keep that plastic barrier on?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Armed and Dangerous

It is not really "stuffing" it. With the doors, I lined the inside of the inner most metal part, which is really the only place you can put it in the doors, with the protecto wrap which is like tin foil (but much thicker) with sticky tar like stuff on the other side. I carfully pulled up the plastic door seal to gain access to the area. Using a heating lamp or hair dryer, you make the stuff all plyable and then adhere it to the metal. This stops vibration in the metal and makes it more solid sounding. Next, I lined that exact same area with carpet foam. Be cautious not to place this stuff where it can interfere with the power window sliding glass. In addition to this, I also added foam to the inside of the interior door paneli in variuos areas. To top it off I used the revised door panel clips part #- 80999-VE000 at $0.61 each.

The trunk uses alot more protecto wrap and foam than the doors. First, I removed the lining and then placed the protecto wrap on the floor (except the spare well), the tire humps, roof, various areas on the sides, the back wall between the trunk and the cabin, and the inside of the trunk lid. I follwed with lining the exact same areas with foam.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
It is not really "stuffing" it. With the doors, I lined the inside of the inner most metal part, which is really the only place you can put it in the doors, with the protecto wrap which is like tin foil (but much thicker) with sticky tar like stuff on the other side. I carfully pulled up the plastic door seal to gain access to the area. Using a heating lamp or hair dryer, you make the stuff all plyable and then adhere it to the metal. This stops vibration in the metal and makes it more solid sounding. Next, I lined that exact same area with carpet foam. Be cautious not to place this stuff where it can interfere with the power window sliding glass. In addition to this, I also added foam to the inside of the interior door paneli in variuos areas. To top it off I used the revised door panel clips part #- 80999-VE000 at $0.61 each.

The trunk uses alot more protecto wrap and foam than the doors. First, I removed the lining and then placed the protecto wrap on the floor (except the spare well), the tire humps, roof, various areas on the sides, the back wall between the trunk and the cabin, and the inside of the trunk lid. I follwed with lining the exact same areas with foam.

Nice work bro, gonna purchase some today.. .you said Home Depot correct? (Protecto Wrap and Carpet Foam)
Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 AM

take the plastic off the inside of the door (water barrier)
line the inside, outside of the door and the inside of the plastic panel with a layer of mat
u can put some ensolite on a layer of the mat for extra sound absorbtion