Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New Alpine HU Installed, Doesn't sound as good

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 AM

New Alpine HU Installed, Doesn't sound as good

I just had a shop install a new Alpine MP3/CD Player installed in the car. They took out the Bose and rewired the speakers. Now it doesn't sound as good as the Bose did. The subwoofer is not working anymore so the bass comes out from the regular 4 speakers and gets distorted when its loud.

They told me to get an amp just for the subwoofer and that will help a lot. Is that true? Will it make it sound much cleaner?

Need help....thanks!!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 AM

you would be better off replacing all of the speakers, including the sub
Old 02-08-2005, 02:47 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by TonySoprano
I just had a shop install a new Alpine MP3/CD Player installed in the car. They took out the Bose and rewired the speakers. Now it doesn't sound as good as the Bose did. The subwoofer is not working anymore so the bass comes out from the regular 4 speakers and gets distorted when its loud.

They told me to get an amp just for the subwoofer and that will help a lot. Is that true? Will it make it sound much cleaner?

Need help....thanks!!

The Bose probably has a built-in amp that your Alpine does not. With all due respect did you honestly things to get better by simply replacing the headunit? In ored to get things to sound cleaner you will need to amplify the electrical signal ie get an amp. An amp will drive your speakers harder.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by TonySoprano

Need help....thanks!!
Yes and no. It depends on a number of things, namley how you enclose the sub, the crossover slope you are running at, what the enclosure is tuned down to, etc. But if you upgrade your sub and amp over the OEM bose you will notice a difference.

If you really are serious about your system, go to your local Mobile Audio store and start racking their minds. DO NOT go to Best Buy or Circut City.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the post.

I got the Alpine at a local audio store. They told me that they would rewire the speakers and that the adapter to work with the Bose speakers/amp would not last.

I took it back and the installer changed some setting on the unit and it sounds better and goes loud but the bass is felt on all four door speakers as before it was mostly through the 8" Bose sub in the back.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bose run at 6/8ohm....your HU's internal amp at 4ohm, so your speaks are seeing half the rms power of your HU

When you replaced your HU, you just got yourself into one hell of a venture....you must replace all to be content. My suggestion for a simple SQ setup- a nice 5ch amp, a single 10/12 , components and rear speaker upgrades
Old 02-08-2005, 04:49 PM

in all reality , all you need is the periphial bose adapter- if you planned on keeping your bose speakers with an alpine hu - the adapter is what actually helps in this case- they should have not rewired the bose spkrs without the adapter- i have had my periphial adapter for 4 yrs now with my alpine deck and the sound is very clean and not distorted whatsoever- good luck with this - maybe they were unsure on how to wire up the adapter but it is a very simple procedure -
Old 02-08-2005, 05:08 PM

i still say replace everything...just do it and thank yourself later.