Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Ground loop isolation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

Ground loop isolation

I recently added a box to allow my ipod to connect via rca inputs into my bose headunit (aux/cd changer slot). After adding this input i got a nice high pitched buzz when it was selected on, and the car was moving. So I bought a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack which I thought cleared up the problem, but actually it only minimized it. When I select the aux input, even without the ipod connected, turn the volume up high, the whine is still there.

Does the radio shack device just suck? Is there a better device I can get to completely eliminate this whine, or will it always be there in some fashion?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem only with my home theater. You will need to go back and recheck your grounds. All of them. If everything is grounded to the same place. Try relocating them to a more solid ground.

I thought the addition of the groundloopisolator would eliminate my problem as well. Try my solution. It worked for me.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:38 AM

I and a few others have had the same problem. I got a response from Soundgate about this problem, but I haven't been able yet to see if their solution works. What they told me was.....
"RCA (OR PHONO PLUGS ) as some call them have a center post and a outside shield the outside shield needs to be referenced to the chassis of your radio this can be done by soldering to the shield or splices into the wire."

So basically, try splicing into one of the rca plugs coming out of the box, and ground it to the chassis of the radio (what they recommend) or another good ground.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I'll start with grounding a rca plug to the radio chassis, as that would be the easiest fix.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

ground at the head unit as well as at the amplifier if you are using one. usually overkill but it gets rid of almost all bs noises. with a noise filter in conjunction with that you should be quiet.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Be sure to let us know how it works. I just haven't had time to try the fix out yet myself.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raw_Toast
Be sure to let us know how it works. I just haven't had time to try the fix out yet myself.
ok, did a pretty ugly grounding (using some steel wire I had laying around) from the RCA cables to the stereo chasis - the Radio Shack GLI is still in the loop.

95% of the hum is gone, and the existing 5% is only noticeable at very high volume settings with the iPod on pause. So I'm satisfied. At normal to loud levels there's no noise. As a footnote, when the car is off, but key switched to give power to the stereo, there is no hum at all.

It would be nice to have it completely eliminated, but for my real world purposes, it is. If I have a lot of spare time, I'll go back and use some copper wire, tighten up the connections, and may even look into a different GLI.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:29 AM

Where did you run your ground to, the chassis of the car or just to the stereo chassis?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raw_Toast
Where did you run your ground to, the chassis of the car or just to the stereo chassis?
stereo chassis
Old 02-14-2005, 11:27 PM

I had the same problem using the NISSAUX with the XM Roady 2 reciever in my 2000 GLE. I tried the Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator and I thought it was more like 80% cleared. Turning up the volume to max on the Roady 2 helped, I read somewhere that the CD changer pushes a lot of volume to the HU.

Anyway I ordered a OMNI Directional In-Line Noise Filter and it completely cleared it up. I don't see why it would not work for an IPOD as well.

P.S. Soundgate now has a link to the unit above on their NISSAUX page.

Edit: Forget it. The variable pitch is removed with the PIE but it has a constant high pitch whine. I put the RS one back in for now. Looks like I will have to ground the whole thing this weekend.