Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sirius/XM Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by salsita
once it is installed and all channels received, we should see the name of the song and channel right??
There is 4 ways for Sirius to display station information. It will display the CHannel NUMBER as you change stations, but then default back to the DISPLAY MODE that you choose. The DISPLAY MODEs are:
1. Artist NAME (I.E. Depeche Mode)
2. Song TITLE (I.E. Never Let Me Down)
3. Sirius CHannel NUMBER (I.E. SR CH-022)
4. Sirius CHannel NAME (I.E. First Wave)

Here's a quick example movie (30 sec, 1 mb)
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM
SuPeRmOd

you forgot:
simply press the Audio button once to display ALL

but it must be pressed everytime you turn on SAT. one of 9Nails settings will remain as default.

and ur vid doesn't work (atleast on my box) only makes an error
Old 01-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
you forgot:
simply press the Audio button once to display ALL

but it must be pressed everytime you turn on SAT. one of 9Nails settings will remain as default.

and ur vid doesn't work (atleast on my box) only makes an error
It needs Windows Media Player 9 or higher. Try right-click and Save to your desktop. Or for Apple, command click, and save. I tried it on 2 of my other computers, played fine there.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

Um I have Media Player version 10

and i did try to save it.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok, thanks, i'll give it a try, the directions i had didn't explain all of that.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by 9Nails
Weird. Ok, recompressed it in Windows Movie Maker. It's 3 times larger than the file Adobe made, but 3 megs is still small for broadband. Try this one:xxxxx
ok, i got them both to work. stupid pc insisted on trying to use Winamp. that's for NAVI... but same directions. can you see all the info at once like my orange screen?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:56 PM

ok, i got them both to work. stupid pc insisted on trying to use Winamp. that's for NAVI... but same directions. can you see all the info at once like my orange screen?
Whew, glad to hear it works. My ISP doesn't give me a lot of space, and the 1mb file is better for me to post.

Not on Navi. I can only display HVAC or Audio in that narrow little section of the screen. In some cases, it's not enough to fit song titles or what ever. I'd love to display all the info! That's probably what you mean when you said I forgot the ALL display setting. But I guess I don't have that option! Weird.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:58 AM

Pre-Wired Satellite for 2006 Max

i haven't been able to find clear information between all the 6th gen forums out there

i have a 2006 SL and it says that it's pre-wired for satellite. Now i'd like to subscribe but i don't really know what this whole pre-wired thing means. i have to go about purchasing a receiver and an antennae and then subscribe to ther service, but the dealership i purchased from wants $700+ dollars for the antennae, receiver and 3 months service

am i being conned or what?
do i really need the receiver, someone gimme the 411 who owns an '06 SL
Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, you do need a receiver. It gets hooked up in the trunk. Get it from Grubbs. You can install it yourself if you know how to do that sort of thing. My deal charged me $75 to install it.

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio

Jane
Old 01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by missjane
Yes, you do need a receiver. It gets hooked up in the trunk. Get it from Grubbs. You can install it yourself if you know how to do that sort of thing. My deal charged me $75 to install it.

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio

Jane
If I am not mistaken, the 06s that do not come with the sat have a different radio than the ones included with a comparable 04 and 05 model...Can someone with an 06 and no sat please chime in?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 AM

You could always call Grubbs Parts Dept at 817.318.4113 if nobody else has the answer for the '06 model. That's a great price, too, at Grubbs -- even cheaper than it was for me 7 months ago. Don't forget, you will need to get the antenna, too.

I wonder why they would have different radios? As long as there is the SAT button on the radio and it's pre-wired, isn't that what you need? Like my car didn't come with the SAT radio, but it was pre-wired and I had the SAT button. I just got the receiver and then had it hooked up.

Jane
Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by missjane
You could always call Grubbs Parts Dept at 817.318.4113 if nobody else has the answer for the '06 model. That's a great price, too, at Grubbs -- even cheaper than it was for me 7 months ago. Don't forget, you will need to get the antenna, too.

I wonder why they would have different radios? As long as there is the SAT button on the radio and it's pre-wired, isn't that what you need? Like my car didn't come with the SAT radio, but it was pre-wired and I had the SAT button. I just got the receiver and then had it hooked up.

Jane
Another member on these boards, who has an 06, ended up selling his PAC unit to me because his radio did not have a sat button.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 AM

hi jane
thanks for the quick reply
i just need the receiver and not the antennae?
does it matter what type of service it is i subscribe to (sirius or xm?) i was leaning towards sirius.
when you had it installed, did the data from the song playing appear on your stock radio?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mzx380
hi jane
thanks for the quick reply
i just need the receiver and not the antennae?
does it matter what type of service it is i subscribe to (sirius or xm?) i was leaning towards sirius.
when you had it installed, did the data from the song playing appear on your stock radio?
I bought both the Sirius receiver and antenna from Grubbs for $276.74 and installed it myself. The stock radio can accept either or sattelite radio. You just have to specify which one you want because the receivers are differentn and yes it does display channel, musician and song.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 AM

hmmmm
that's a lot of good info Joe, that's x2 you've answered my question now
thanks
i'm hearing from everyone in this forum that the price for that receiver is a good deal........i'll see about making the purchase and then having circuit city install all the equipment, they said they'll do it for $75

anyone else want to give their $0.02, they're more than welcome
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You might want to consider a plug and play unit with a PAC AAI-NIS2 adapter. This will give you song information on your screen and allow you to take the plug and play into the house to enjoy satellite on your home stereo.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 PM

hmmmm
that's a lot of good info Joe, that's x2 you've answered my question now
thanks
i'm hearing from everyone in this forum that the price for that receiver is a good deal........i'll see about making the purchase and then having circuit city install all the equipment, they said they'll do it for $75

anyone else want to give their $0.02, they're more than welcome
Anytime I can be of service.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by Jokiefan
You might want to consider a plug and play unit with a PAC AAI-NIS2 adapter. This will give you song information on your screen and allow you to take the plug and play into the house to enjoy satellite on your home stereo.
Where did you get your PAC AAI-NIS? I want to get one but I checked on several online sites but they are all out of stock. The website said it is coming out with a newer version, is it correct? Anybody knows what is the differences with the original version?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kidd4l
Where did you get your PAC AAI-NIS? I want to get one but I checked on several online sites but they are all out of stock. The website said it is coming out with a newer version, is it correct? Anybody knows what is the differences with the original version?
I got mine off of E-Bay. There were around 8 available through various dealers as of Monday. Make sure to get the NIS2, which was just released on the 20th. I paid $85 plus shipping, new in the bag.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by JoesRedMax
Anytime I can be of service.
One more question Joe
when you want to control the presets on your sat. radio, can you do that through the steering wheel controls????
Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by Jokiefan
I got mine off of E-Bay. There were around 8 available through various dealers as of Monday. Make sure to get the NIS2, which was just released on the 20th. I paid $85 plus shipping, new in the bag.
Thanks for the info. I can't find any right now on Ebay, i guess the new PAC AAI sells fast.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
SuPeRmOd

One more question Joe
when you want to control the presets on your sat. radio, can you do that through the steering wheel controls????
with oem SAT, yes. you share presets with your AM/FM. The controls do not know the difference. Mode will toggle tape CD and presets.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Spoke to Grubbs

I am new to the forum, and the knowledge sharing here is unbelievable...anyway, I just bought an 04 Maxima SE (upgraded from a 98 SE w/ a sportster unit) and I want to go the OEM route after reading all of these posts...so I called Grubbs today to see if they knew whether I was "pre-wired". The Grubbs guy told me that if the Last 6 Digits of your VIN is 935089 or later you are definitely "pre-wired" and all you need is the Tuner and Antenna, if not, you could still be pre-wired, but there is no guarantee. I do not fall into that VIN range but am going to check the trunk out this weekend to see if I am still pre-wired...just wanted to pass this info along and also curious if anyone else is out of the range but was pre-wired - I am hoping I am!!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I can't find any right now on Ebay, i guess the new PAC AAI sells fast.
hey what is that "PAC AAI" ?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Cool Member

"The AAI-NIS2 works with XM/Sirius Satellite ready Infiniti and Nissan factory radios. It allows audio from devices like Apple's iPod™, VCP, MP3 players, Portable CD players, DVD players or aftermarket satellite receivers to play through the stock stereo system. It has two auxiliary inputs which are selected by the SAT/Radio button on face of radio." That's from the PAC website.
Basically a connector to connect an external input to SAT button in our Maxima.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:44 AM

"The AAI-NIS2 works with XM/Sirius Satellite ready Infiniti and Nissan factory radios. It allows audio from devices like Apple's iPod™, VCP, MP3 players, Portable CD players, DVD players or aftermarket satellite receivers to play through the stock stereo system. It has two auxiliary inputs which are selected by the SAT/Radio button on face of radio." That's from the PAC website.
Basically a connector to connect an external input to SAT button in our Maxima.
kidd, does tha tmean i can use that connection for both sat & ipod or either or

if i use it for ipod, where does the ipod connect to. there would have to be a cable running from the stereo to the ipod. then i would be back with the mess i have with the cassette adapter and all of it's wires. Unless i got it wrong and there is another solution. lemme know

thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 AM
SuPeRmOd

kidd, does tha tmean i can use that connection for both sat & ipod or either or

if i use it for ipod, where does the ipod connect to. there would have to be a cable running from the stereo to the ipod. then i would be back with the mess i have with the cassette adapter and all of it's wires. Unless i got it wrong and there is another solution. lemme know

thanks
read the STICKY(s)
Old 02-02-2006, 11:24 AM

read the STICKY(s)
Think you can send me a link to the places here that have pictures of 6th gens with installed sat radio

i want to make sure the antennae is not going to be bulky and ugly lookin

Old 02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Cool Member

I just bought my PAC AAI-NIS, so I don't have any details right now and I don't use the satellite radio either. Either way, there is always wires unless you use the teribble FM modulator. It depends how you hide the wires to make it look good. I am sure some people here have done the IPOD connection.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Question for all... I have read through this link and regret that I had not sooner. I recently had a Sirius Starbase installed in my 04 SE. I'm not sure if my car was pre-wired or not. I am currently running it through an FM station and it sounds like total sh*t. If I was to purchase a "PAC AAI-NIS" adapter.. would I be able to run a pair or RCAs out of the satelite receiver into the back of the OEM head unit? Please advise if this is doable and if it will improve sound quality. Thanks in advance for anyone's response.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hughey79
My wife bought me the sportster replay for xmas. I was going to have the dealer install the antenna but I ended up doing it myself. It was easy. However I had to find a different FM channel to get reception. however now sometimes it is very clear then others it isnt. My real problem is my front speakers get a lot of static in them from the sat but not the radio. It is mainly the front left. Is there something wrong from the install or is there a speaker issue? thanks all.
Mine does the same exact thing. Did you find a solution to eliminate the static in the front speakers?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tb2211
Question for all... I have read through this link and regret that I had not sooner. I recently had a Sirius Starbase installed in my 04 SE. I'm not sure if my car was pre-wired or not. I am currently running it through an FM station and it sounds like total sh*t. If I was to purchase a "PAC AAI-NIS" adapter.. would I be able to run a pair or RCAs out of the satelite receiver into the back of the OEM head unit? Please advise if this is doable and if it will improve sound quality. Thanks in advance for anyone's response.
im pretty sure pre-wiring for things like that are for 2005+ SL maximas
Old 02-03-2006, 06:00 AM

im pretty sure pre-wiring for things like that are for 2005+ SL maximas

No, I"ve got an '04 and it's pre-wired. It depends on the VIN number. I think somewhere back up in this thread someone posted the VIN number where they started the pre-wiring.

Jane
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 AM

Install requirements

I've read this entire thread an still confused! I have an 04 SL prewired and trying to figure out what I need to order for Sirius install. If I order the Grubbs tuner kit does it have everything I need (I think this was stated in one post) or do I need addiitonal antenna? splitter?

Also...can I do inside window mount antenna...anyone have any experience with reception in this configuration?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by RayL
I've read this entire thread an still confused! I have an 04 SL prewired and trying to figure out what I need to order for Sirius install. If I order the Grubbs tuner kit does it have everything I need (I think this was stated in one post) or do I need addiitonal antenna? splitter?

Also...can I do inside window mount antenna...anyone have any experience with reception in this configuration?

Thanks
sup ray
i called grubbs to confirm with them what it is i'll be needing for my car. My max is pre wired for sat radio, so if yours is too, then all you will need is the receiver and antenna(sold seperately,but grubbs sells that too) i'd check to see if your model is pre-wired for sat radio, i thought it was only for 2005 SL and up but miss jane knows her stuff about this area, so i'd go with her on that.
(btw- missjane, you said your dealership did the install for $75, how long did it take?)

as far is inside window mount antenna, i'm also interested in what type of reception you get from that, as i'm looking to do that too

anyone have experience/heard anything about it?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 04 se as well and it was prewired (there was a black sticky on the inside of the driver door saying it was prewired) I bought the tuner and antenna from grubbs and got the splitter from best buy. my dealer wanted to charge 375 (this is more then what the equip cost ) for installation and it only took me 30 min to do on my own. I mounted my antenna on the break light in the rear window. just ran the wire behind the seats. i've had no problems with reception at all. i did this with recommendations from what previous users on this thread have done.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by salsita
I have an 04 se as well and it was prewired (there was a black sticky on the inside of the driver door saying it was prewired) I bought the tuner and antenna from grubbs and got the splitter from best buy. my dealer wanted to charge 375 (this is more then what the equip cost ) for installation and it only took me 30 min to do on my own. I mounted my antenna on the break light in the rear window. just ran the wire behind the seats. i've had no problems with reception at all. i did this with recommendations from what previous users on this thread have done.
hmmmm
2 questions for you salsita
1) what did you need a splitter for?
2) any of those maxima's with the rear light install come from NY area?
(i know that's a difficult question to ask, but if you can tell me at least which therad this request was in i'd appreciate it)

thx
Old 02-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mkoscal
When I was researching this it seemed like most people just put the antenna in the interior of their car next to the brake light and then ran the wire into the trunk. They seemed to get good reception and not have the antenna on their roof. Some that did put the antenna on the roof had it painted to match their car before installing.

This is a quote from CA, not sure about NY. I bought the splitter, but i don't remember if i used it or not, it was only 11 bucks but apparently you don't need it anymore, if you read through this thread, maybe the first page, it will explain.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:44 PM

sup ray
i called grubbs to confirm with them what it is i'll be needing for my car. My max is pre wired for sat radio, so if yours is too, then all you will need is the receiver and antenna(sold seperately,but grubbs sells that too) i'd check to see if your model is pre-wired for sat radio, i thought it was only for 2005 SL and up but miss jane knows her stuff about this area, so i'd go with her on that.
(btw- missjane, you said your dealership did the install for $75, how long did it take?)

as far is inside window mount antenna, i'm also interested in what type of reception you get from that, as i'm looking to do that too

anyone have experience/heard anything about it?
I have my Sirius antenna mounted on the very front of the dash next to the window. So far the reception is very good, regardless of the direction that I am driving. I have yet to see if it works with my windows covered in snow though. Time will tell.... good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by tb2211
I have my Sirius antenna mounted on the very front of the dash next to the window. So far the reception is very good, regardless of the direction that I am driving. I have yet to see if it works with my windows covered in snow though. Time will tell.... good luck.
that's good info man, thanks for checking in
now if only someone can confirm that it works in the rear window rather than mounting that bad boy outside

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Radio Questions