Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sirius/XM Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 AM

Sirius/XM Radio Questions

I'm tired of the plain old radio stations and looking to upgrade. So once again I turn to the brilliant Maxima owners for advice.

I have a 2004 Max stock audio system pre-wired for satellite radio.

is my information correct? I would need to purchase 2 pieces of hardware.

I would need the receiver such as (Delphi, JVC, Clarion... There are so many which would you reccommend?) Looking to spend between $100-$130 for the receiver. (Do anntenas come with the receiver?)

The adaptor that allows you to plug the receiver into the rear of the radio. (I'm not exactly sure what its called or the model number but I've seen a few posts about it). Its around 70-80 bucks right?

Obviously a subscription to the service, I can figure that out on my own.
Any advice would be appreciated..
Old 02-15-2005, 10:43 AM
SuPeRmOd

get sirius.

as to hardware, that depends on what kind you get. sirius can talk you through what u need. or just check their site for products. i like how they give you free interent access w/ your account to listen online. you even save $5 if you activate online.

pre-wired only helps if you buy the oem Nissan tuner. that is why you need the $80 adaptor. most car kits come with everything else you need.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Nissan has the kit that you can hard-wire either one to your head unit, and control it with the radio controls. I know its a 300.00 option when u buy the car, not sure how much just to purchase the kit though
Old 02-15-2005, 11:36 AM

Or you can do what I am about to do. There is an adaptor called a pac-aai-nis that plugs into the back of your factory receiver (I think this is the part that you are talking about). Once you do this then you can plug any aftermarket sat radio device into it and feed it through your factory system. The display won't change, but the sound quality should be the same. I was also told by a guy that since the sat radio I have and the ipod have the same port for sending out the sound, I could change them out as needed.

I have Sirius and paid about 150 total for the unit and antenna. The converter that plugs into the receiver is about 80 bucks. So you can do the entire mod for around 230. Saving you 70 dollars over the factory unit that you install in the trunk. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

buy the receiver here:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio

antenna here:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio
Old 02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WHy worry about saving $50-75 for a haphazard system. Unless you get the factory unit you won't get the display info, etc etc etc. It should be worth the extra for a seemless installation with everything working together, and you can install it yourself without taking the dash apart.

You can get an antenna cheaper on e-bay or elsewhere on the internet.

If you get the factory unit, you will ALSO NEED an antenna splitter.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Well, you can get the factory receiver from Grubbs, nice and neat, or you can just go the cheap route and get a XM rhoady, they are about 100 bucks for all you need. It actually gives you a reason to use the tape deck if you want better clarity over the RF wireless. Actually, unless you are really listen to your music loud, the wireless adapter will work for you, concealed in the center console. Depends on what you want to do. Eventually, I might spend the almost 300 bucks for the receiver and do that....but for now, I am set up. Works fine and removable from car to car. Here is a pic...and it gives me song and title info. Hey, cheap, but it works. Had it in my BMW and kept it when I traded it it. Not a pretty install, but I could make it a bit better.

Again, decision is up to you. I bet on Ebay, you could get one of these now for about 50 bucks and install it in under a minute. Best part is, getting the AC adapter for the house...radio shack adapter...6 bucks, plug it into your home stereo system....hey, you are not always in your car.

It is down at the bottom of the console.....hey, not pretty, but at least have a use for the tape deck. Using the RF adapter would negate that wire though. Hope this gives you an idea. If money is no object, go through Grubbs. You got 100 bucks or less and want to do it today....hey, you can even get a remote control for it.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:42 PM

i have a sirius factory tuner for sale with the antenna spliter ,it is a oem nissan part from a 2005 maxima.i am selling it because i went with a kenwood screen and nanigation, $240 takes it
Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 PM
.org extraordinaire

Second linky dont wokr

Kam
Old 12-01-2005, 09:04 AM

Questions? Has anyone bought the Grubbs receiver and had Circuit City or Best Buy install the unit? Looking at the directions on the site I could connect the receiver but running the wire for the antenna might be tricky.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 AM
SuPeRmOd

anyone can install your antenna. do not pay them to install both, just to run the wire if you want it on your roof.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 AM

On my G35, I just decided to use the SkyFi2 wired in because I like the extra features of the standalone device, but it's an extra thing in my car. However, G35 displays are weak.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got the factory Sirius unit from Grubbs and had my dealer install it for $75. Nice, neat and clean. LOVE IT!

Sirius all the way....

Jane
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
aaron lavigne FTG

i have it built into my ALPINE head unit it looks extremly clean and u still get all the funtions of AM/FM/CD player. Plus the sound quality is much better because it is not going through a radio station. Its all DIGITAL
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM

Thanks, I will stop by and get a quote from my local dealership.

Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
.org extraordinaire

k

so what exactly is needed to install the OEM reciever, what parts do I need? And secondly, GRUBS are they an authorized Nissan dealer, if the sat reciever stops working can any local dealership warranty it?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2004 Maxima se that was not prewired. What are my options? Can I just buy the pac-aai-nis and connect an after market SAT. Also what is the opinion on dash mounted antenna's.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 AM
.org extraordinaire

SIRIUS Sat Reciever

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
so what exactly is needed to install the OEM reciever, what parts do I need? And secondly, GRUBS are they an authorized Nissan dealer, if the sat reciever stops working can any local dealership warranty it?

Thanks,

Kam
Anybody, NISMO80 you got a SIRIUS reciever, what parts did you need to get for everything to work?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 PM

Just got my Sat radio installed the Monday before Thanksgiving. Wish I would have had it when I purchased the car. I got SIRIUS and WOW! That is how good it is. I punked the stealership becuase I told them that I could get it cheaper then what they were offering. I purchased mines from them but at the Grubbs Performance price. It cost me $269 for the unit and the antenna. But the install was $75. Go factory if you can.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 PM
SuPeRmOd

U buy the 1. tuner (flat box) 2. spliter for antenna and 3. antenna.

Voila

you also should get 2 self-tapping metal screws w/ washers and some double-sided tape to prevent rattling.

oh yeah, a drill. I placed bolts on the drill bit to prevent making my rear deck into a ported box (holes).
------------------
BlackMaxSE2004
as far as i know, No. if you're not prewired, the pac is useless. (read through the sticky for more info/links) use the aftermarket sirius setup with your tapedeck or have an installer check if RCA input is even possible (unlikely).

I would just go with the tapedeck and be thankfull Nissan gave us one.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:54 PM

sirius>XM better sports and stern!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:43 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
U buy the 1. tuner (flat box) 2. spliter for antenna and 3. antenna.

Voila

you also should get 2 self-tapping metal screws w/ washers and some double-sided tape to prevent rattling.

oh yeah, a drill. I placed bolts on the drill bit to prevent making my rear deck into a ported box (holes).
------------------
BlackMaxSE2004
as far as i know, No. if you're not prewired, the pac is useless. (read through the sticky for more info/links) use the aftermarket sirius setup with your tapedeck or have an installer check if RCA input is even possible (unlikely).

I would just go with the tapedeck and be thankfull Nissan gave us one.

grubs, doesnt have the sirius antenna or splitter or am i not seeing something on thier website??

Kam
Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 PM
.org extraordinaire

where do i find the splitter?

Hey Dudes!

Kamski
Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 PM
SuPeRmOd

i got mine off bestbuy.com

grubbs may have sold out. or it's in a complete package? dunno.
items go low in qty. i had to reserve my mini-terk antenna from crutchfield-through-Amazon.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 AM

Guys, I went to my local stealership yesterday to see if they could beat the Grubbs price on a sirius receiver, they said no. O.K so I asked them if they could install the sirius system in my car and the service manager said "NO", he said the sirius system has to many problems and they wont install it. I can't believe this, I think the real reason he refused is the because of the amount of money he wouldn't have made on the transaction. They quoted my a price of $320 for the receiver and $70 for the antenna + installation. The parts guys told me to get it and he asked how Grubbs could sell them for such a cheap price. This is one of the reason people hate the stealership, they wont try to satisfy the customer, at least here in Virginai Beach, VA. They would prefer me to purchase their system with the overinflated price. I will go over to Bestbuy or Circuit City to see what they have to say.

Mike
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 AM
SuPeRmOd

lol, yeah you just pissed him off. Dealers don't care what you install if you pay them. There's no warranty from them to install, only if they chose so. Dealer quoted you $320? That's pretty good for a dealer. Mine wanted $500 when I bought the car (of course I tried to get it free.) Grubbs is selling online, so they can charge less.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:23 PM

I had the dealer install the Sirius factory unit in October '04 and I absolutely love it. I just wish I didn't have to tap the tuner **** to keep the songs displayed at all times...hopefully they will change that for future models. But I definitely prefer Sirius over XM. I have a Sirius tuner in my apartment as well. XM is part of my DirecTV service, but in my opinion, the music choices aren't as good and the programming is just average. Plus, Stern on Sirius in January!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Surly
I had the dealer install the Sirius factory unit in October '04 and I absolutely love it. I just wish I didn't have to tap the tuner **** to keep the songs displayed at all times...hopefully they will change that for future models. But I definitely prefer Sirius over XM. I have a Sirius tuner in my apartment as well. XM is part of my DirecTV service, but in my opinion, the music choices aren't as good and the programming is just average. Plus, Stern on Sirius in January!!!
I think I may follow your lead and have the dealer install sirius. I also have xm on my direct tv, and I'm not impressed.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 PM

What chans do you guys listen to?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:21 PM

I work at Circuit City and used to be in the sales department for car audio. IMO Sirius sucks, the reception is horrible. We have a display in the front of the store, and the receiver is in the back of the store and the display gets no reception, as to XM it does.

*Useless Fact*

Sirius radio came out before XM with top of the line satellites. XM came out later with the updated top of the line Satellites. XM has 3 satellites circumnavigating above the US while Sirius has 2 above the equator.

Anywayz just purchase this from Circuit City
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...essory.do#tabs

Comes with an antenna and since our facotry radios are "XM ready" i believe you wouldnt need anything else since it comes with the antennae.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:19 AM

For me, I ordered the factory Sirius unit from my local Nissan dealer. $360.00 complete.
I installed it in less than an hour including mounting the antenna on the roof (plus I had the antenna painted to match the car). With the car being pre-wired the install is a no brainer. My son just purchased a new Altima. He went with the factory XM unit. Same easy install. It's all in what you want.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 05MaXiMaMenG
XM has 3 satellites circumnavigating above the US while Sirius has 2 above the equator.
You have it backwards. XM Rock and XM Roll are parked in geostationary orbit at 115 degrees west longitude and XM3 is parked in geostationary orbit at 85.1 degrees west longitude. Roll used to be at 85.1 degrees but was moved due to 115 due to problems with power supplies in both Rock and Roll. XM3 replaced Roll at 85.1.
Locations - North American satellite locations
Launch of Rock - link
Launch of XM3 - link

Sirius uses the constellation approach where there three satellites use a highly inclined, eliptical orbit. At any one time, two satellites should be above CONUS (CONtenental United States). This is why Sirius reception can fade when the receiver is stationary. link

-Robert
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM

wooooowwwww thats amazing research.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
SuPeRmOd

*Untrue Fact*

Sirius radio came out before XM with top of the line satellites. XM came out later with the updated top of the line Satellites. XM has 3 satellites circumnavigating above the US while Sirius has 2 above the equator.
Um, XM came out first. Sirius followed and even with more expensive prices, offered better features. XM raised their prices and conformed to Sirius. Now they cost the same and the difference is content. Like sports? Sirius dominates. Other content, I don't know. I hear good for both.

Comes with an antenna and since our facotry radios are "XM ready" i believe you wouldnt need anything else since it comes with the antennae..
I know my Sirius isn't perfect, especially with the antenna INSIDE my car. Yesterday my rear window was covered with snow... Perfect signal. Both have issues that I've heard.

not all Max's are prewired for SAT. even the prewired ones only work with the nissan tuner. Otherwise you get the stand alone car kits w/ display.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 PM

I installed the pac-aai-nis adapter. It plugs into the sat radio port on the factory head unit. The pac adapter has 2 sets of RCA inputs that are accessed through channels a and b on the radio. I use channel c for local stations. I ran one extension cable from the pac adapter so I can plug in my ipod and it sounds great. Eventually I will buy a $100 sirius unit and connect it to channel b.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^nice, was the prewire for the oem sat an RCA? seems you're saying one could keep oem SAT (going to trunk)or aftermarket SAT (up front) and iPod on 2nd also?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sirius Starmate Replay unit

Hey all,

Just joined yesterday, first post, so go easy.

My '06 SL is on a truck and on it's way from the factory as I just signed papers two days ago. I'm wondering if anyone has the Starmate Replay unit from Sirius (or any other unit with a built in wireless FM transmitter) and can comment its performance?

Overall, this forum looks like a great source of information for Maxima drivers and I look forward to exploring it further.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 06_Maxima_SL
Hey all,

Just joined yesterday, first post, so go easy.

My '06 SL is on a truck and on it's way from the factory as I just signed papers two days ago. I'm wondering if anyone has the Starmate Replay unit from Sirius (or any other unit with a built in wireless FM transmitter) and can comment its performance?

Overall, this forum looks like a great source of information for Maxima drivers and I look forward to exploring it further.

Thanks,
Jason
WELCOME ABOARD MATE

My GF just ordered my Sirius kit from grubs. I'm getting it for christmass.

Ooo dont post any NWS (not work safe) links..... I just got rung out for it.

Peace,

Kam
Old 12-26-2005, 11:16 AM
.org extraordinaire

SIRIUS Grubs Kit

MARRY CHRISMUKAH fellow orgers.

My girl got me the sirius kit for my other girl as a chrimstass gift. She called Grubs and told the guys she needed everything for the OEM sirius setup for the car.

He told her everything was in the box, which was kinda right. Cause it came with the Tuner, Sirius mini antenna and a whole bunch of install parts. But it was missing the sirius antenna splitter.

I still have no clue what its for and before I go ahead and install it, im wondering do i need the splitter? My GF is ready to go and the guys at Grubs. But before she does, do I need the splitter for anything?

O and will Howard Stern be available in Canada?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I thought the antenna hooked up to the tuner, and the tuner to the factory wire harness if your car came with it from factory?

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Radio Questions