Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Annoying A** Rattle In The Trunk...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 08:35 AM

I have the world most annoying rattle in my trunk. I have installed dynamat everywhere, on the floor and side panels of the trunk. I even used that expand foam stuff in the trunk lid. I only hear it when i hit small bumps on the road. But my system easily over-rides the clunking.

I had my friend stick his head through the opening to the trunk and told me the rattle was coming driectly from where the trunk latch is or maybe in the trunk lid itself.
Anyone have a good solution to try and fix this?
or
Maybe have the same rattle?
How does that spray-dynamat work?

I might try some behind the carpeting on the trunk lid and maybe down where the latch is as well.
any help or advice would be great.

Ant
Old 05-04-2001, 09:43 AM

I feel your pain

Im convinced that there really is no effective way to eliminate trunk rattle on a Maxima. Ive done the dynamat thing, Ive done the weather stripping thing. When you said you thought that a lot of the rattle was coming from the trunk lock, you are right. One of my friends is extremely mechanically inclined and we took apart my trunk lock. There were a lot of parts in there that werent very firm, so we did what we could on tightening them. It worked a little, nothing earth shattering. I then found that more rattle was actually coming from the spare tire well. The device that was holding my tire down was loose, so I tightened it up. I still have to tighten it every so often. The last thing I did was put some rubber stripping behind my rear license plate. That didnt do much for in-car response, but helped a lot out-of-car.

I dont really hear that much trunk rattle from inside the car, just rattling from the rear deck. THAT's what's annoying (not to mention painful for passengers). The trunk rattle that bugs me is when I pump the bass and stand outside my car, my trunk flexes like no other, and Im always worried it is going to warp.

I guess that's the price you pay for bass.

Good Luck.