Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

door speakers in non-stock location

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 PM

door speakers in non-stock location

I have a 3rd gen max and I thought that instead of putting 4 subs in my
trunk ...I thought i'd do something a lttle smarter... here's my plan
I currently have 6.5 inch speakers in my front doors and 6x9's in the rear deck. I want to run those speakers off my amp and get 3.5" speakers to put in the upper part of the front doors (close to the dash) and 4 inch speaker to put in the rear doors and run these new speakers off my HU. what do you guys think and if you ave any tips please let me know! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 PM

Sorry but I just threw up all over my computer thinking about hearing this setup
Why????????

This will probably kill your sound stage, not to mention if you dont have a crossover on your head unit those will probably have crazy distortion. Upgrade your door speakers to some nice 6.5 components, maybe a 3-way setup with a kick panel involved. You dont need much rear fill, a decent pair of 6x9s will be fine.

-kevin

p.s. dont take any sarcasm i say (like the first line) seriously, its an online forum
Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM

i cant get this thread outta my head, this might be worse than the 3 different brands of 12's thread

*edit - a couple questions

whats your budget?
what do you already have/what have you had in the past?
what are you trying to accomplish...impressing friends with your trunk? sound pressure level? sound quality?

answer these, and then everyone here will probably throw in their .02 and tell you their favorites. Then you can do some research and decide. Thats the best plan of action. Sorry if this takes your thread off topic from what you wanted, but I wont allow your original topic to be discussed in here, youd have to go talk to some 16 yr old newbs at caraudio.com who would actually think that setup is nice

(again...sarcasm)
Old 04-08-2005, 01:16 AM

I hafta bump this thread up top for the hilarity Im hoping it will bring tomorrow...and because its 4:25 am and nobody else is on the org and im bored

oh yeah and the org clock is way off
Old 04-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to sleep more ;-). I agree, this is not the route you want to take. More is rarely better, it's usually just more. Personally i would rather have a kick butt pair of 6 1/2's (Rainbow or the like) than a crowd of speakers to cancel each other out. We are just trying to help and also to make your system sound right. Def answer those ?'s for kprs10is and we will all try our best to help you out.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 AM

Psshhh I still havent gone to sleep yet...on purpose though, trying to make it til like 8:30 and go see my college advisor early...then a little sleep, work at 2, and a keg tonight. Ahh the only good thing about gainesville lol.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 AM

well the reason I wanted the extra speakers is that I noticed that while I drive if I have my leg too close to the door then its hard to hear the speaker and if I have a passenger I can't here that speakers because of their leg...I thought that having that extra pair of speakers higher up would help. I thought the extra speakers would increase sound quality whenever my subs get really loud... I wasn't sure...thats why I asked the question
Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 AM

I'll answer ?'s later...hafta go to school
Old 04-08-2005, 06:41 AM

Adding that small a speaker without using an amp to power them will cause them to distort when you crank it up. If you are simply looking for louder mids and highs with your bass, and you cant accomplish this with a nice pair of amped components, then you have too much bass IMO. Ill wait til you get outta school to advise further...although the next time ill be on here will probably be sunday so ill let the others take over.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:55 AM

maybe you need to amp the 6.5s up front. when i have people in the car (and most of the time i do), i can still hear the music fine

get some nice speakers up front, amp them, and you should be set.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 AM
KH3 by popular demand

How can a couple 3.5" and 4 inch speakers take the place of 4 subs in a trunk?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM

They don't take the place of the 4 subs...it was a change in plans after I found out how much hassle it would be to build a box for 3 different types of subs that will require different sizes of boxes and I think my 2 kickers are loud enough. And I also came to the realization that it would just be too much bass and there was no point to it
Now...about those questions...
1)My budget is about $150-$175
2)as for what I have in my car now:
HU-Panasonic DF600U
Speakers- 2 sony Xplode 3-way 6x9's in rear deck
4 inch pioneer in front doors (thought they were 6.5's till I checked, my bad)
Amplifier-Kicker IX406
Subwoofers- 2 12 inch Kicker comps (old version ones w/the K in the middle)
All I had before was the only 6x9 bose that worked
3)I don't see what my trunk has to do with it, all I have in there are 2 12's and the amp, but I was trying to get kind of a "surround sound" effect...I'm planning to eventually put 2 or 3 screens and a DVD player in..Kind of a movie theater effect
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 PM

Remove the Bose housing and 4" driver in the front doors. You will need to be a bit handy to do this. Replace front speakers and amp them. This will not be within your budget. It is the solution to your question. If you are going to spend the money on all those screens, don't cheat the sound with small underpowered speakers for your front stage. I would personally rather have 1 indash screen and great sound than 3 screens and poor sound. With that being said, the Sony's need to go. I think you knew that. Remember this in designing your system, it will only ever be as good as it's weakest link.

To get the movie theater effect you want, will cost crazy money. Ask some people that have done it. Surround sound in a vehicle is very difficult. Good sounding surround sound in a vehicle is expensive and even more difficult. Consider scaling back your current plans until you can finance such a system.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:33 AM

what brand of 6x9's and 6.5's would you all recommend?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:21 AM

It honestly depends on your listening preferences. Some people like very "bright" sounding highs and almost everybody I know is after strong midbass. I personally like very "warm" sounding highs. The easiest way to achieve these is with the tweeters makeup. Usually, not always, a silk dome tweeter or a variance of this meaning a fabric woven tweeter will sound "warmer" than a titanium or matallic dome tweeter. You will have to demo a pair of both with a good amount of power, and please do this in a car and not a showroom, and judge what you like. As far as midbass, I think the reason you aren't hearing your speakers is because they lack it. I currently have 4 sets of Alpine Type-r components, one set in each door. The highs are too bright for me(I chose the wrong speakers) ans the midbass is lacking in areas. I purchased them for two reasons. 1;They were only $120/pair, 2;The magenets were huge and could "obviously" kick butt. The price was right, but, I didn't do the necessary research concerning my own preferences and ended up buying the wrong speakers for my taste that had a big magnet. Now I find myself wishing I would have done it right the first time. It would have saved time and money.

With that being said. I would look into several companies. Rainbow, Alumapro, Focal, DLS, CDT, and many others. I will let some others give thier opinions as well. All of the companies listed have great products that have the capacity to meet your needs. Do understand that these are not average companies with average products. These will not be discount prices. Look for an authorized and reputable dealer that will provide you with a warranty. You will be dissapionted if you have to make a claim and the ebay seller is no longer listed. These are just some ideas. I will check this thread later tonight.

BTW, I can recommend a great dealer for you. His name is Don. Many of us have dealt with him. If you need his # just let me know. He is also a whelth of knowledge when it comes to the subject.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 AM

CDT - one of the best bangs for the buck

Theres waaaaay too many brands out there to just say 'get ___' because everyone has different tastes. Stop by a bunch of local stores and see what your ears like.