Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

headunit bad?or need new one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:40 AM

headunit bad?or need new one?

Had a shop install the headunit, 2hrs of driving later lost the radio, went back they fixed the probblem and now I have a bad whine.
I have a rpm based whine, depending on how hard I accelerate or what Rpm I am at determins how loud this very aggrivating whine is. Went backt to the shop today to basically get the explanation that my unit is cheap and there is no way they can supress the noise. All ground are good and there isnt anything they can do. They suggested cleaning my battery terminals (a little corronion on one) and thats about it.

*Is the guy at the shop correct? is my "cheap" Farenheight DVD-75R unit the cause of this bad whine and I have no choice but to spend more money and get a "quality" unit?

*Should I take it to another shop to have it looked at?

*When they fixed my unit the second time he told me they put a bigger fuse in their, than what was already in there (the harness to connect to factory bose speakers). Should I switch and put back the factory spec fuse and see if that fixes the whine?

Note: If getting a new unit is the answer what are recommendation for a good unit to get for under $300 that I can use with my factory bose speakers (I am not getting rid of them, no need to spend more money to rebuy what I already have)

thanks for all suggestions.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Runs with scissors

When they installed your new HU, did they run new wiring for your speakers or use the factory wiring? I had a whine in my speakers until I ran new wires for them. Also try moving the ground point around. There are a few links here about alternator whine coming through the speakers. Most of them have been resolved by finding a new "clean" ground point.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 AM

They didnt run new wiring to the speakers, They used the factory wiring.
The thing is the whine isnt comming from the speakers it comming from what seems like the dash infront of the passenger seat. Its very odd.

I know my unit isnt the most expensive one out there, but I seriouble doubt a company would make a unit that would wine and makes noises when isntalled.

Just a bit confused here.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Runs with scissors

Originally Posted by MDeezy
The thing is the whine isnt comming from the speakers it comming from what seems like the dash infront of the passenger seat. Its very odd.
????? Uhhhh ok...
The noise may be coming from the tweeter mounted on the A pillar right above the dash. I would still see about trying a different ground point.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:32 AM

I'll check for a ground point, They were saying the head unit is pulling noise from the alternator.

They said they have a solid ground but I'll check and see, then noise disappears once I turn the head unit off, the noise will get a bit louder if I turn on the AC, or heatlights. its aggrivating to say the least.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 AM

are you using the decks amped outs or pre-amp outs??
Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 PM

I'm not exactly sure but. I have the unit in and a harness that is to connect to the factory plugs, so that it can use my factory speakers w/amps.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM

if a source is being drained too much could this cause the problem?

when they had some of my stuff out today I notice the Cig lighter didnt have the screen on it like I had it at first, I know it draws little power but if its on the same thing as the unit maybe spilting them up could help and be the solution?

also if I were to try say putting the units power on the cig would that maybe help get rid of the noise? I know the cig isnt the best thing to hook it up to but the unit doesnt hold memory for CD/DVDs anyway so if it will get rid of the noise would be a good temp solution till I find a permanent one.