Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Mailman strikes again.... hehe

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001 | 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/pr...ntumas/dyn.jpg

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/pr...ntumas/moc.jpg

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/pr...tumas/moc2.jpg

Almost ready to start installing everything.
Old 05-11-2001 | 03:48 AM
jmax

I thought the damping material you were using was from Ebay?
Old 05-11-2001 | 05:57 AM

SWEETSOUND

WHAT UP MAN...LOVE WHAT U DID WITH YOUR CAR..my q is where did you get the amp kit...i wanna upgrade mine...the guy who is got the amp install from i think he used some cheasy wire which is not thick at all..(or does it matter) please let me know if you know a good place to get the amp kit for cheap..thanx
Old 05-11-2001 | 07:56 AM

Originally posted by jmax
I thought the damping material you were using was from Ebay?
I'm using Raam mat plus i'm using dynaliner, which is by far the best sound stopper to deaden my firewall. Any suggestions on how to do the firewall in the best manner?
Old 05-11-2001 | 06:36 PM
jmax

The firewall will be very time consuming when I get there. Remove seats, console, carpeting, scrub floor/firewall. That's a couple days not including all the install of the damping material.
Old 05-11-2001 | 07:43 PM

The firewall will be very time consuming when I get there. Remove seats, console, carpeting, scrub floor/firewall. That's a couple days not including all the install of the damping material.
Are you going to remove the entire dash assembly or just put matting over the open areas? I'm going to use dynaliner max and glue it to the firewall and put 2-3 layers of carpet padding on top of that. Also, i will put 2 layers of mat on the hood and a layer of foil-backed hi-temperature carpet padding.
Old 05-12-2001 | 05:36 PM
jmax

I won't remove the dash unless I find the master kill switch for the air bags. Probably not much benefit of adding two layers to the hood. A single layer covered with the high temp stuff should do a good job. Any more would be overkill and more of a hassle from the extra weight stress on the gas strutt.
Old 05-12-2001 | 05:47 PM

the air bag sensor is under the center console. Air bags are disabled automatically 3 minutes after disconnecting the battery. How hard you think it would be to remomve the entire dash assembly? Such as a/c vents, all the piping, steering, etc.?
Thanks
Old 05-12-2001 | 09:15 PM
jmax

Anything that is screwed, bolted, welded or pressed in place can be removed. It's more a matter of how you will organize all the parts untill it comes time to put 'most' of them back where they started. I originally thought that the center mounted air vents needed to be removed in order to have a good center image. But I was completely ignoring the huge hole under the airvents - you know - where the haz light switch, clock, rear defrost, and normal headunit mounts. The air vents can be left alone and still have a great center presence - preferably D'Appolito. I have had this plan for at least a year but still haven't paid off last years expenditures. So maybe next year I will build the center channel.
Old 05-12-2001 | 09:41 PM

I originally thought that the center mounted air vents needed to be removed in order to have a good center image. But I was completely ignoring the huge hole under the airvents - you know - where the haz light switch, clock, rear defrost, and normal headunit mounts. The air vents can be left alone and still have a great center presence - preferably D'Appolito. I have had this plan for at least a year but still haven't paid off last years expenditures. So maybe next year I will build the center channel.
Please explain this "air vents ruining the center image" thing. How? My speakers are going into the kick panels so i cannot see how the center air vents would interfere...The shifter console..maybe..but not the center vents.

As far as the firewall goes, would it even be worth removing the whole dash and putting 1-2 layers of dynaliner to stop the engine noise. Or will just putting it in accessible places solve most of it. My maxima's engine is not that loud anyway (stock ) but i would like to make it even quieter for highway library like enjoyment.
Old 05-14-2001 | 07:38 AM
jmax

My engine, even with the stillen high flow air intake, is also pretty quiet. So no, I will not remove the entire dash for a dB or two. Wind noise is much higher than engine noise at highway speeds. Regarding center image - what I meant by the air vents interfering with the center image is that they are high mounted in the center of the dash. The otherwise most logical place for a nice D'Appolito center channel. But with proper angling of mids and placement/aiming of tweet there is plenty of room under the vents. . . I am speaking of a 5.1 system design for the potentioal of future DVD audio.