Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Upgraded from Basslink to JL 10W7 in my '05 - pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Upgraded from Basslink to JL 10W7 in my '05 - pics

Hehe, I started out going the inexpensive route with the Infinity Basslink in my '05 Max but wasn't too highly impressed. Did some research and decided on a JL 10W7 ProWedge enclosure with a JL 500/1 amp pushing it. I have to say that there is no other Subwoofer enclosure this size that can compare. Not just in loudness but in bass sound quality. I listen to a lot of Contemporary Jazz and this thing is super tight and can even hit very low notes such as a pipe organ in Classical tracks. Here are some pics of my trunk. I have the box slid back to optimize the sound and the amp has not been installed yet but it looks pretty good and is removable for now if need-be. Although it sounds great, the inexpensive deal is out the window. I am planning on replacing all the stock audio. Went from $200 to $5000 real fast.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:48 AM

two thumbs up dude.

Are you selling your Basslink?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:06 AM

Thanks, Yes I was going to list it tomorrow on ebay. Do you want to buy it? I had it in my car for 2 days and it has no scratches, all the documentation and original box.

JP
Old 04-28-2005, 06:06 AM

thats hot, but.. 3 Alpine Type R 10"s at 1000 Watts each are what I have, powered by a 1500 RF Amp. No Need for Basslink. Just need to do dynomatt in mine cause it shakes the whole damn back half of the car.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What are you using for audio inputs to the 500/1?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:40 AM

Using a Peripheral SVEN2 hooking/tapping it's input wires to the white/gray (+) and black/gray (-) on both right and left channel of the 8" Bose subs in the back deck. Actually I took the Subs out to allow more bass to get from the trunk up through the 8" holes. Every little bit counts as I have found the that the Max has some of the best rear seats on any car I have ever worked on as far as sound dampening goes. Good for driving down the road but bad for trying to push Bass through. I was wondering why a lot of folks has filled their trunks with woofers and enclosures but now I know why, it's because of the back seats stopping so much bass. This could probably be helped by drilling a bunch of small holes all over the plastic panel backing the rear seats but I hadn't wanted to tackle that yet and I don't know how that will affect their rigidity. The output from the 10W7 and 500/1 combo is very impressive but if I could find a way of not pushing it as hard by getting more bass into the cabin I would. I may investigate the hole drilling over the weekend. I am going to be tweaking the 500/1 today and if you end up with the same setup as I then I will be glad to share the settings. Oh yeah, the Turn-on sensing circuit on the 500/1 is not sensitive enough to use with the Peripheral unit so I had to end up running a remote turn on lead back to the amp. It would turn it on when played over 17 vol. setting but below that the amp would just turn off. I am not sure but I think the wires I tapped into going to the Bose subs are crossed-over.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by TheGAMEGUNIT05
thats hot, but.. 3 Alpine Type R 10"s at 1000 Watts each are what I have, powered by a 1500 RF Amp. No Need for Basslink. Just need to do dynomatt in mine cause it shakes the whole damn back half of the car.
Believe me, if you haven't listened to a JL 10W7 or a 12W7 in a good sealed enclosure you need to. I just couldn't see filling up my trunk as I need the space from time to time. The subwoofer+enclosure was over $600 and the amp was about the same. I was highly skeptical of the salesman's enthusiasm on the 10W7 but that skepticism is now gone. It's not so much that it blows the doors off of other subs as far as dB output but it's ability to reproduce so much frequency range, especially for a 10" woofer is amazing and sounds totally different from any sub I have ever heard/felt.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:52 AM

Oh yeah, the base carpet mat in the trunk of the Max is heavy duty velcro. If you want to keep your speakers or anything else from moving around, either stick or staple some pieces of the rough side of velcro to the contacting surface of your items you want to stay in place. Don't use too much as you will not be able to pry it off. I put a big piece on the bottom of my 500/1 amp and I have to work at getting it to come off the carpet. No kidding.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
*moderator*

I am running the JL 550/1 with to 10" JL's and it sounds awesome as well, I also removed the stock 8's in the rear deck to let more bass through, it helped quite a bit. I like that 12W7 enclosure, looks nice and sounds like it sounds good too!! Might have to buy one for my wife's car...just bought her this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-p95YU8P...&search=alpine
Just the beginning, I though it would be simple but it never is....

Good tip on the basslink I looked at them but wasn't too sure about it...
Old 04-28-2005, 08:29 AM

How do you like the Alpine unit? I am considering either the Alpine 9855, Eclipse 8455 or the Kenwood 979 (just for the mp3 keg). I've been told that the Eclipse is the leader as far as sound quality but I would really like to consolidate everything in to a single head unit like the Kenwood that will keep the interior clean looking.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 AM

FYI, the 8" subs in the back are 0.4 ohm each. I couldn't believe it. Also, they are a design that I've never seen before either. Their motor (magnet and voicecoil) is in front of the cone rather than behind. Where the motor usually is, that's where the amplifier resides on the right woofer which powers both left and right. Odd configuration but neat too. Oh yeah, other than the head unit, it looks as if Bose manufactures every other audio component themselves. I took the mini-sub amplifier mentioned above apart and it actually had Bose on the circuit board. If you are a tech-nut like me and have never seen one of these speaker designs you will think it's pretty ingenious, especially for the space savings it gains even if they do sound like A$$. I am surprised that JL, Focal or MBQuart hasn't tried this before, especially with mid-bass drivers where it would save on mounting depth.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Welcome to the JL club. I have had rockfords, kicker, infinity, alpines, sony...etc You name it I had it. Alot of my friends said stop with the cheap speakers and go JL. My best bud has a 13w7 + 1001/1 in his Escalade and after hearing that "ONE" mind you one sub, I was hooked on JL audio. That was two years ago, and ever since then I been a jl fan of their components + subs + amps. I have 10w7 in my I35 and even with the stock system the crisp accurate sound of bass can not be beat. When I pull up at places with my bass up, people are surprised it just a 10 inch sub which is making all of that noise. I had a 12w7 in my QX4 but decided to downgrade to the 10w7 because it would have been an overkill in my trunk of the I35.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Glad to hear that and I am starting to agree that the 10W7 is the right choice for a Max. After getting my 500/1 setup right, it definitely puts out plenty of thump. It's kinda funny, I setup my amp by ear before going through the written instructions method and I didn't even have to move a thing except for the gain control which I had set actually a little lower than the 38.7 volts. Everything else as far as bass equaliztion was spot on. Weird or either my ears are pretty good. I am going to pickup a dB meter today and do some sweeps to see if it needs any more modifications. BTW, the only other item is the Infrasonic Filter setting or whether to utilize it at all. Do you have your filter on and at what point? The W7 woofers really don't have the limitations of conventional woofers and can easily reproduce Hz lower than other 10 inchers so I would hate not to reproduce some low pipe-organ notes sometimes. :-)
Old 04-28-2005, 01:38 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by JPBOSS
Glad to hear that and I am starting to agree that the 10W7 is the right choice for a Max. After getting my 500/1 setup right, it definitely puts out plenty of thump. It's kinda funny, I setup my amp by ear before going through the written instructions method and I didn't even have to move a thing except for the gain control which I had set actually a little lower than the 38.7 volts. Everything else as far as bass equaliztion was spot on. Weird or either my ears are pretty good. I am going to pickup a dB meter today and do some sweeps to see if it needs any more modifications. BTW, the only other item is the Infrasonic Filter setting or whether to utilize it at all. Do you have your filter on and at what point? The W7 woofers really don't have the limitations of conventional woofers and can easily reproduce Hz lower than other 10 inchers so I would hate not to reproduce some low pipe-organ notes sometimes. :-)
I don't know I have to check. I haven't really messed with the amp since the second week I hooked it up and that was september of last year. The bass in my car was way too loud even with the stock system HU bass set at -5. I did some tweaking to the amp but can't remember the settings. I do know, the setting that that it is at, you hear everything.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:43 PM

looks good. what are you using to keep that box in place?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
looks good. what are you using to keep that box in place?
Hehe, it keeps itself in place. It weighs a ton and is carpeted on the bottom. It's pretty much against the ridge at the back of the box and accelaration would not slide it back so unless I get rear-ended or t-boned it should stay pretty still. Did you see my finding on the trunk floor carpet being just like the soft side of Velcro. For a test, go get a piece of rough velcro and push it to your trunk carpet and then pull on it. For everyone wanting to bolt speaker boxes down may want to give this a try. Be sure not to go wild with the amount you use as I did with my Amp. When I need to move it, I have to work hard to get it to release from the carpet.

JP
Old 04-28-2005, 07:47 PM

ah i see, same with my old box. the carpet on carpet friction was good enough to keep it in place. with my new box though, i have to have it secured somewhat or else it'll slide around...i don't like the idea of a 100+ lb box sliding in my trunk either
Old 05-01-2005, 05:24 AM

Nice setup, good to see that you are happy with it.

I have read that for SQ in a sealed enclosure you can leave the infrasonic filter off. On the other hand you have some people that say turn it on so you do not waste watts on stuff you can't hear. I would suggest to give both methods a shot and see if their is an audible difference.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Looks nice. I'm currently debating about changing from 3 8w6's to a single 8w7.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:42 AM

SEmy2K2go , I visited your site. Nice job with the enclosure for your 8's.

I see that you have some old school amps. I use to have the smaller Kenwood from that same line. My current amps are back from 1997 .
Old 05-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I don't have the Kenwood anymore. That was replaced by an Eclipse 4 channel.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Team Ramrod

Looks awesome, can't wait to get my W7 soon .
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 AM

I'm a JL fan too. I didn't have a lot of money but I wanted some bass NOW, so I got one 12w1 which only has an Rms of 150 but it still fills my car with good quality bass. I ended up building a sealed box myself to save some $$ and it sounds GOOD.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:41 AM

looks nice
my friend just a put 12" w7 in his lexus, that thing bangs. he wants to get the JL 1000/1 to power it.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
ah i see, same with my old box. the carpet on carpet friction was good enough to keep it in place. with my new box though, i have to have it secured somewhat or else it'll slide around...i don't like the idea of a 100+ lb box sliding in my trunk either
Did you read my quote about stapling some rough velcro to the bottom of your box? The standard trunk mat in the Max is soft velcro. Try it, you will be surprised. You will be pulling at it like this guy.

JP
Old 05-03-2005, 06:19 AM

Anyone like the Alpine 9855?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:10 AM

Did you read my quote about stapling some rough velcro to the bottom of your box? The standard trunk mat in the Max is soft velcro. Try it, you will be surprised. You will be pulling at it like this guy.

JP
from personal experience, when i tried the velcro it just moved the carpet with the box and made a mess in the trunk.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 AM

Woops. Maybe if the carpet was somehow secured to the board over the spare tire. If mine starts moving around then I will do the same. I guess since my box is so small and that it's so heavy in that one spot it doesn't move around at all. JP
Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 AM

My friend has two of those in his navigator with an amp each....LOUD

Congratulations on the purchase.