Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

THOR alarm systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:30 AM

THOR alarm systems

anyone have experience with these? you can get them somewhat cheap on ebay. i'm hoping that i can decide on an alarm system soon so i can get my hands into installing it..should be interesting.

thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

You get what you pay for.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:28 AM

go with the viper 791
Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 PM

eww thor what kinda welfare brand is that?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:47 PM

heh, yeah i pretty much figured it's a weak pos. i was also looking at the viper 791x, cheapest place was $214 for the hardware but i'd like to utilize the remote start option but that system only seems to support automatics for remote start. can you get the viper to remote start a 5 speed?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
heh, yeah i pretty much figured it's a weak pos. i was also looking at the viper 791x, cheapest place was $214 for the hardware but i'd like to utilize the remote start option but that system only seems to support automatics for remote start. can you get the viper to remote start a 5 speed?

Buying it online or 'over the counter' will yield you Absolutely No warranty or theft coverage. All Viper systems need to be sold AND installed by a dealer.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Buying it online or 'over the counter' will yield you Absolutely No warranty or theft coverage. All Viper systems need to be sold AND installed by a dealer.
the manufacturer offers theft coverage? i've seen nothing about this. or is this a worst buy $200 2 year protection plan that they won't stop shoving down your throat? and where's the fun if you have it professionally installed?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the manufacturer offers theft coverage? i've seen nothing about this. or is this a worst buy $200 2 year protection plan that they won't stop shoving down your throat? and where's the fun if you have it professionally installed?

They do have theft coverage from the manufacturer. Not Best buy. Its fun to actually have an alarm system that works properly, with someone else to blame and have troubleshoot your rats nest of wires under the dash when something fails.

Install it yourself, chances are you'll ruin the integrity of the alarm and the vehicles electrical system.

I'd have it put in by a reputable shop. Warantee and labor coverage will save you many grey hairs.

..and its worth the trip out to Mr. Don (pearl) to get it put in.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 AM

No Viper is covered by a lifetime warranty as well as a $2500 theft coverage. FROM DEI. This is all Only if dealer sold and installed.

Wheres the fun? No need for fun when you have piece of mind.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by chinaonnitrous1
They do have theft coverage from the manufacturer. Not Best buy. Its fun to actually have an alarm system that works properly, with someone else to blame and have troubleshoot your rats nest of wires under the dash when something fails.

Install it yourself, chances are you'll ruin the integrity of the alarm and the vehicles electrical system.

I'd have it put in by a reputable shop. Warantee and labor coverage will save you many grey hairs.

..and its worth the trip out to Mr. Don (pearl) to get it put in.
+1

But Larry, I think hes a bit too far. LoL
Old 05-26-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
No Viper is covered by a lifetime warranty as well as a $2500 theft coverage. FROM DEI. This is all Only if dealer sold and installed.

Wheres the fun? No need for fun when you have piece of mind.
wow, i can't argue with that do you know where i can find out the terms of the coverage? i can't seem to find a viper website or anything. sorry, but what is DEI? i'll take a guess...dealer expert installed? anyway, i guess it's worth it for the $2500 coverage. it would be nice to be able to utilize remote start though, i don't know if that's possible with a 791 in a manual. thanks for the info.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:04 AM

wow, i can't argue with that do you know where i can find out the terms of the coverage? i can't seem to find a viper website or anything. sorry, but what is DEI? i'll take a guess...dealer expert installed? anyway, i guess it's worth it for the $2500 coverage. it would be nice to be able to utilize remote start though, i don't know if that's possible with a 791 in a manual. thanks for the info.
DEI is the parent company of Viper,Clifford,Python and many others. The site is:

www.Directed.com

That will give you all the info, as well as a dealer locator.

Yes its possible to install, but you may be hard pressed to find a dealer willing to do so.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:09 AM

heh, that was the main site i was checking out, i thought it was just a reseller or something. thanks dude, yeah i don't think i'm going to drive cross country to get an alarm installed

late
Old 05-26-2005, 07:29 AM

the viper brochure says "refund your insurance deductible up to $2,500" the deductible is the amount of money you pay the insurance company prior to recieving compensation. so basically if my car was stolen with a viper system installed within the first year, they would pay the measly $100. i think i'll just install a moderate system myself, all i really want is keyless entry and a shock sensing anyway. viper can bite me with their misleading deductible coverage
Old 05-26-2005, 11:22 AM
blah

the viper brochure says "refund your insurance deductible up to $2,500" the deductible is the amount of money you pay the insurance company prior to recieving compensation.
With that said there's really no purpose in having an alarm professionally installed. Its not difficult at all, a solder iron and multimeter aren't difficult tools to use. I have a Omega max-e and it comes with all the same features as the viper 791xv and it was only $150 including shipping. Of course my lifetimre warranty was thrown out the door but the price the install would overide the price of the alarm itself.