Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sound System...Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:15 AM
brooklynK3Y

Sound System...Need Help

Hey, so far i have :
(1) 4 Channel Kicker's Amp
(2)Voodoo Capacitors

and thats basically it lol. I wanted (1)amp for bass,(1)amp for the tweeters, and (1) amp for the hi's/lo's. So that would be 3 amps.. Now the question is should i Get (2)1 channel amps,(2) 2 channel amps, or keep going with (2)4 channel amps? Because im going with kickers all the way, and i want to make sure i get the right stuff. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:18 AM
brooklynK3Y

Also, What are the Speaker sizes that are in the Front & In The Back Doors.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 AM

one, lose the caps, they won't do much besides putting additional strain on your electrical system.

why not just get some coaxils for the rear and a set of components for the fronts? then use your kicker 4 ch amp to power them?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Why do you only want to run Kicker? If anything, you are going to need:

- 1 X 2-Channel Amp for front midbass
- 1 x 2-Channel Amp for tweeters...which will sounds sweet as hell, btw, running them activley
- 1 x 1-Mono Amp for Sub
- Run the rearfill coaxes off of the HU amp
- Lose the cap

No sense in buying 4 channel amps if you want to run this way since you will be setting your crossover frequencies differently for the mids and tweets.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:31 AM

yeh, you don't need caps.

You can run a 4 ch for the front highs/mids, since most 4 ch amps have two sets of RCA inputs, one for each pair of channels. Every Kicker 4 ch amp Crutchfield sells has 2 sets of RCA inputs, I'd assume any other kicker 4 ch amps are the same way..I'd run my mids off of ch 1 &2, highs off of 3&4, rear fill off the headunit, and get a mono amp for the subs..
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol a seperate amp for your tweeters haha. thats just dumb. Get a 4 channel and get some component speakers with crossovers.then get a mono block or stereo ampplifier depending on what ohm load you want to run for the sub. Uh you could probally use atleast 1 of the 2 caps might as well use it since you have it.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM

If it were me Id do what Golden said. Best use of what you already have to get the best sound.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 PM

no sir, its dumb to assume using an amp for your tweets is dumb. amping your tweets and mids separately gives you FULL control over the volume of each, as well as full control over the frequencies you want each to handle. You're much better off using components and ditching the included xover, and using a 3 way active xover such as Kicker's KX3. I believe even Don uses one of these

The kx3 lets you control the frequencies going to the amps, which is more efficient than controlling the freqs going from the amp to the speakers with an inline xover like what is included with components. You set it up so that the front output goes to the amp or set of channels your tweets are being driven by, and the rear output goes to the front midrange (midbass) set. You can probably just run RCAs from the sub output on your headunit to the amp you drive your sub(s) with. Waiting for Don to chime in here and see if I'm wrong or not.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by DcMaN
lol a seperate amp for your tweeters haha. thats just dumb. Get a 4 channel and get some component speakers with crossovers.then get a mono block or stereo ampplifier depending on what ohm load you want to run for the sub. Uh you could probally use atleast 1 of the 2 caps might as well use it since you have it.
Just dumb??? Obviously youve never ran a system actively. Its ok, your still young and youll learn....
Old 05-25-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
no sir, its dumb to assume using an amp for your tweets is dumb. amping your tweets and mids separately gives you FULL control over the volume of each, as well as full control over the frequencies you want each to handle. You're much better off using components and ditching the included xover, and using a 3 way active xover such as Kicker's KX3. I believe even Don uses one of these

The kx3 lets you control the frequencies going to the amps, which is more efficient than controlling the freqs going from the amp to the speakers with an inline xover like what is included with components. You set it up so that the front output goes to the amp or set of channels your tweets are being driven by, and the rear output goes to the front midrange (midbass) set. You can probably just run RCAs from the sub output on your headunit to the amp you drive your sub(s) with. Waiting for Don to chime in here and see if I'm wrong or not.

I did run it until I got the Arc DXE.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:44 PM

I will keep my mouth shut about this one.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
I did run it until I got the Arc DXE.
I thought I remembered seeing one in your setup somwhere, just wasn't sure how old the pic was..Did ya have any quality complaints with the kicker? I've not heard anything bad about em yet, but I live in a town where people build SQ setups around comp VRs...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:50 PM

my buddy did this...it sounds so clean. if i had the money and space, i'd definitely do it this way. but if you already have a 4 channel amp, you might as well use it.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:15 AM

I thought I remembered seeing one in your setup somwhere, just wasn't sure how old the pic was..Did ya have any quality complaints with the kicker? I've not heard anything bad about em yet, but I live in a town where people build SQ setups around comp VRs...
I had one in my wifes setup. I sell a decent amount of them, and never had a problem to date.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry i ddint word it right what i meant to say was why bother buying a seperate amp for your tweeters. Alot of tweeters can handle 75+ RMs but i mean to spend 200-300$ on the tweeters itself would be IMO a waste when you have a 4 channel already and you could easly just by a decent set of compnonent speakers. It would be kinda pointless to have a 4 channel not being completely used of course unless you were to bridge it and give 2 speakers more power but you couldve just gotten a 2 channel for that you know. I apologize for for not explaining my self right.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Then I guess in Your terms, I like to waste money. Being that I have my 4 channel running my tweets and mids seperately Active. Then another amp for my rears. I would never again run passives.

Bridging an amp, especially on highs is only going to end up lagging the primary factors of having a higher end amp running your components.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Just dumb??? Obviously youve never ran a system actively. Its ok, your still young and youll learn....
I'm no vet by any means either, but [you] have yet to hear system run in this manner.