Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

good place for tweaters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 PM

good place for tweaters?

So im getting some new componets this week and was wondering where you guys have placed your tweeters. is the stock location good or should i have them mounted on the door panel or somewhere else?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:05 PM

stock is nice for ease of install, imaging, and cleanliness...for maximum ear damaging highs put them on the door somewhere.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Stock location works "OK". I suggest you angle them slightly more towards the windshield to possibly improve imaging and seperation..
Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i destroyed my door panels to accomodate tweeters. God help me when i get a new set...i'll take pics tomorrow. basically drilled holes in the panels.....ah enough with my yapping i'll show you tomorrow. best spot imo though for imaging and looks
Old 06-06-2005, 06:50 AM

i have mine in the sail panels in the door, angled - where they sounded best to me....

i suggest using some duct tape and play around positioning them to your prefered imaging prior to actually mounting them anywhere-out of numerous 5th gen comp install's i've auditioned I've found stock OEM location to be a big problem for metallic tweets- windshield and dash are a pinball machine for reflections IMO and an eq nightmare
Traditionally you want to position your tweets on the widest part of the stage- at or near ear level, to benifit the most from depth and detail from your music.

DJfrestyl recently had Rainbows flush mounted on his door panels(ala 4th gen style) and looks very clean while keeping them closer to the mids in comparison to an OEM setup.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:10 PM

sorry for the blurry pics, i was in a hurry. i used this same spot too for my old infinity set up. if anyone has a better place for a 5th gen honestly tell me cuz i think this spot looks and sounds ideal.

yes i have lots of napkins just in case
Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 PM

how is the imaging in that location? thats where i was thinking of puting them but im not really to sure how they would sound... are the highs really that bad that they can damage your ears? i want this system to sound amazing so thats why im wondering were to put these...
Old 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM

looking at the m45 made me think. didnt infinity put the bose tweets in the seat right beside the headrests? what do yo guys think about that one. right now i have my tweets in the sail panel as well. works okay. will be better when i run my amp.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Suspension Yoda

same place in the doors is where i've got mine

dont know about the imaging there yet, still gotta hook em up

i need a freakin day off
Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by handsofstone
looking at the m45 made me think. didnt infinity put the bose tweets in the seat right beside the headrests? what do yo guys think about that one. right now i have my tweets in the sail panel as well. works okay. will be better when i run my amp.
They did put speakers in the shoulders of the seats there not tweeters though there a small maybe 3" speaker. To do that in the max would be a total PITA. Though i wish i could get a stereo that sounded as good as the one in the M45 that thing is amazing.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:07 AM

imaging in the door is SUPERB. not to mention people always ask "IS THIS STOCK!?!" haha, and girls can't stop touching it, i guess that gets annoying. back to the topic, ideally you dont want to separate your components more than 18" apart. i'm too poor and lazy for kicks, plus i like the tweeter closer to me. as for will they damage your ears, this all depends on your tweeters. before, i had infinity references in those same spots...THOSE killed my ears fa sho! now that i'm running cdt silks, they get louder and waaaaaaaaayyyy smoother. i crank them ***** and my ears are fine, it's the bass that's driving me deaf

i'm a poor college student, and i was originally just going to use the stock location, but i just hate a pillar setups unless they were like a second set of imaging tweets or something. so i just bit the billet, drilled holes in the door panels, couldn't be happier. oh, and when i switched to cdt's i had to carve the original hole for the infinitys even bigger since the tw-25s has such a huge flush mount casing
Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 AM
MaximaFreak

Door locations are good, the problem is angling. You want your driver's tweeter/mid pointed at the passenger and the passenger's tweeter/mid pointed at the driver regardless of where you mount them. There are other mounting positions as well, but this is the most simple way to think of it. Of course you may not be able to do that with both speakers, so buying a swivel tweeter is a good idea. By mounting on the A-Pillar, I would think you would be able to more easily angle the tweeter as I described.

That said, I also had mine door mounted in my 4th gen, and they sounded good. I have not yet done my 5th gen A-Pillar install, but I plan on mounting 3" mids with the tweets. I anticipate a wide soundstage that is closer to ear level than you can get with any other traditional mounting. I may be wrong ... but you can bet I will report my findings
Old 06-07-2005, 11:34 AM

i would love to pull that m45 seat apart and see how those speakers work. that seems like a great place for speakers. cause when i had my lotus, all of the speakers sounded like crap. they were on the floor behind you. and on the bottom of the door in front.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Big_Ham I can't wait to c pics of the A-pillar setup ur planning on. I have my tweeters mounted n my stock location, which is on the A-pillar n my '96. Like Big_Ham said, u need to aim them towards the opposite side of the car.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by handsofstone
i would love to pull that m45 seat apart and see how those speakers work. that seems like a great place for speakers. cause when i had my lotus, all of the speakers sounded like crap. they were on the floor behind you. and on the bottom of the door in front.
the sound stage in the car is amazing it feels like every seat in the car is at the center point and when you put a cd that has 5.1 surround sound capabilities it just takes the listening experience to a whole new level!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:06 PM

mine dont point directly to the person closest to the speaker..they go all the way across, still off axis but pretty dang good
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
i suggest using some duct tape and play around positioning them to your prefered imaging prior to actually mounting them
Excellent advice. I second that. FYI...If you can adjust the crossover frequencies between your components, then just about any location can yield good results.

I personally like kick panels best. Oddly enough, my current setup has the drivers aimed upwards towards the dash. It sounds full and the image hovers just above the dash. I like it.

Tony
Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I put mine on the a pillars, bondoed and texture coated, looks good and sounds better than in the stock locations. They are mb quart and they were angled up with the angle mounts when they were in the stocks. I haven't heard an m45, I wonder how it would fare in a real organization sanctioned SQ event.