Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Reducing resistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:05 AM

Reducing resistance

I've got 3, JL8W12. 12 Ohm Speakers. Wired right now so I'm getting 4ohm resistance out of them, got a 1000 watt amp, 310 @ 4 ohm. So each speaker is getting around 103 watts RMS. I want to get the 150RMS I orgininally planned. Problem is the 12ohm resistance, I though I was getting 8ohm speakers and I didnt (and cant change that). One solution I thought about doing is adding another 8 inch speaker to the wiring, but some how deactiviting it, cutting some wires so the cones dont function or something. I dont know enough about wireing to know if that'd work. But pretty much I'd hook up the extra woofer (junk old one, 4ohm speaker) and hide it. The idea is to get the speakers to get down to 2.66 ohms or another that.

Does mixing a 4 ohm speaker with 3, 12 ohm speakers mess alot up? Is it possible to add an extra "deactivated" speaker to reduce resistance? Or does it only do that if its working?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I dont know how those duel voice coil speakers work but I cant change my current setup, just perhaps add this extra speaker I got laying around.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:22 AM

it's best to match up my man, you want your load to be what the amp is rated at and if you're mixing and matching different impedances then you're in for a great deal of confusion.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM

First of all, theres no 8W12. Theres a 8W3v2, which I assume is what you are talking about, because they can have Dual 6 ohm voice coils. Second, no you should add another sub to solve your problem, as doing what you said above will only cause you more problems than its worth. The 2 different ways to wire them make your amp see a 4 ohm load, or a 1 ohm load. If you wire two of the subs down to 1.5 ohms, and the other to 6 ohms, and throw that on the amp, the subs will see different amounts of power and theres a chance youll screw up the amp. Best bet is get a 1 ohm stable 450-500 watt amp.

kevin