Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Is this right? Big difference in audio levels between radio and cd with the Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Is this right? Big difference in audio levels between radio and cd with the Bose?

With the Bose system in my car, there is a HUGE difference between FM and CD in just about all aspects of audio levels. With CD's, it sounds great. With FM, it sounds horrible in comparison. To begin with, of course CD's are supposed to sound better then FM, but jees, not this big of a difference.

Anyways, with a CD playing, about 25% volume or so is loud, and it sounds good with just a tick or 2 from the center for the bass and treble. Switch to FM and that same volume that was loud with any cd is now really quiet, and the sound does not have near enough treble and is too low and muffled on the bass end of things. It just sounds really bad with the radio. My base factory audio in my F150 sounds 10x better with radio even. Now I could turn the bass down a couple ticks to the low side of center and turn the treble up near max and it will sound half way ok, but I still have to turn the volume up to about 50% plus to get the same level as about 25% with CD's, and with the audio levels set like that cd's have just way too much treble and not enough bass.

I know the integrated antenna isnt the best thing around, but I dont think that would be the reason since the audio is the same being very near big strong stations as opposed to being 30miles away and all. I dont think I've ever heard such a big difference between the 2 modes both in sound quality and volume level on any car audio system, much less a supposed good one.

Is that just the way this Bose system is? or is it possible that the radio side of things has something going out in it?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't hear a difference at all between CD SAT or FM in volume. Did you rip CDs at a lower volume level?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by -AoW-JP
I don't hear a difference at all between CD SAT or FM in volume. Did you rip CDs at a lower volume level?

It shouldnt be the cd's. normal legitimate cd's are at the same volume and all as burned ones. The CD side of the system sounds great. It's FM that is quiet and sounds like crap.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 AM

Yeah man i have the same exact prob whenever i listen to FM it sounds like its 90% bass and the rest is just static the reception is horrible and sound quality is horrible...know what im doin about it...trashin it and puttin in a premium system i advise you to do the same.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm also disappointed with the Bose receiver. It's crap. That's why I only listen to Cds.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FYI - receiver is Clarion. Amps and speakers are Bose.

I also have a Bose system in my GM Sierra Truck. It sounds much better than the one in the Max. I find it very interesting how much difference there can be in the two systems - and still be Bose...

Also, I've noticed on Cassette Tapes that the volume is real low also...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:45 PM

My radio reception is pretty bad, and the volume difference is way off. Radio, I need to get to the high teens to be loud. CD's, 12, is perfectly fine. I have the standard stock system.