Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Noise Violation laws near you

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:40 AM

Noise Violation laws near you

Here in FL they changed the law from 100 ft, to 'if it can be heard from 25 ft away' its a ticket. A friend of a friend got a ticket on the Univ of FL campus with factory Bose with the old law, and 25 ft is ridiculous. Not that Im stupid about where I play my music loud, not in neighborhoods, not at red lights, etc. but still, everyone plays their **** loud sometimes.

[Im bored and this is another easy thread for me to post-***** in, especially since its my own ]
Old 07-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

well then
ill ***** too

that sucks dude what are u gonna do? downgrade your system?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Here in FL they changed the law from 100 ft, to 'if it can be heard from 25 ft away' its a ticket. A friend of a friend got a ticket on the Univ of FL campus with factory Bose with the old law, and 25 ft is ridiculous. Not that Im stupid about where I play my music loud, not in neighborhoods, not at red lights, etc. but still, everyone plays their **** loud sometimes.
here its different towns...different ordinances. Most of the cops are pretty laxed, so they dont care to much about it as long as you show a bit of respect turning it down when you see them...

[Im bored and this is another easy thread for me to post-***** in, especially since its my own ]
Not if it got deleted
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 AM

I think thats a stupid focking law. Depending on who's writing the ticket, 25ft may be barely heard to one person but somewhat loud to a another person. You can have the stereo at a moderate volume and could still hear it from 25 ft away. Does it matter if it's music or not? It should apply to everything. Noise is Noise. A fart can be heard from 25ft away. Would someone get a ticket for that? Damn, we need some people we can relate to making the damn laws.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Very true, music is at least somewhat pleasurable to listen to regardless of genre. On the other hand...Harley, old muscle cars,etc just make Noise. Some people can appreciate it, but its still just noise. Those people get zero tickets, whereas music enthusists get tons.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Very true, music is at least somewhat pleasurable to listen to regardless of genre. On the other hand...Harley, old muscle cars,etc just make Noise. Some people can appreciate it, but its still just noise. Those people get zero tickets, whereas music enthusists get tons.
just to be the devil's advocate....

to OTHER people, the exhaust note of a harley or a muscle car could in fact be considered a NICE noise to some people, and the reason those people do not get tickets is because of the culture they are from, which, usually, is very similar to the culture of the law enforcement.

ie: cops and young import tuners = bad mix (with the exception of VERY few younger cops)
whereas, cops and muscle tuners, more often than not, are one in the same

but i digress, this noise ordinance is STILL bullsh'it in my eyes
Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 AM

I understand that completely, as Im a bit older an can definately appreciate some of the Harleys/Muscle cars/etc.. BUT that also makes the cops biased to their culture/age group. Which they should not be in any way shape or form. A naturally biased cop/judge/lawyer/etc should immediately be excused from their job.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
I understand that completely, as Im a bit older an can definately appreciate some of the Harleys/Muscle cars/etc.. BUT that also makes the cops biased to their culture/age group. Which they should not be in any way shape or form. A naturally biased cop/judge/lawyer/etc should immediately be excused from their job.
f'uckin those azzholes
Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 PM

ok all these laws are bullsh:t about noise, the only time i can see noise being a problem is if you are hangin out front of someones house with loud music or harley or something, but if you are driving around there shouldnt be a problem with music or sound of car/bike. realistically, there should be no noise laws like in my town... the problem is that there are alot of old people pushing for local legislation against loud music, but there isnt anyone fighting back at town meetings or what ever your town has, if more people fight back maybe you can get the laws repealed, unfortunately there is a bigger group that want noise laws than the ones that wish to pump some music.

and BTW how much is a noise ticket?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:46 PM

i had a campus cop follow me because i had my system up for a little bit. but i guess he got lazy and turned back around. but yeah, i try not to blast it in parking lots, dense neighborhoods or stoplights. no noise violations so far *knock on wood*. no promises though once i get that arc amp from Don
Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

These cops/lawmakers have nothing better to do then harass people who enjoy listening to music. I agree with Don on the Harley stuff. How do they get away with exhausts that can make you deaf but us people who enjoy listening to our music can't pump the system. It's not like systems make people OUTSIDE deaf!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have spoken to a bunch of cops from the different cities here in Utah. They really dont care unless you go driving through a heavy populated neighborhood blastin your System.

One cop told me that if you do get caught you can usually go to court and the only way they can win is if they have a decibel meter and the only people that can have that are in the health department. It will be a rare site when you have a cop and and member of the health department chillin in the same car hunting those car audio fans down....
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 PM

My area is messed up. There's a 50 ft. span... but the god damn B1 bombers that take off shake everything in my house. But if I try to crank up my subs any... it's a ticket
Old 07-12-2005, 03:01 PM

+1 on the Harleys and muscle cars point.

Sorry I had to go to work I couldnt ***** up my own thread as much as I wanted to.

Grazs-noise tickets here are around 80 bucks.

Gordon, I expect a noise violation with the arc. ****, I got one in downtown gainesville with my Type-S mids/highs and 2 Kicker Comp 12s back when I had em. Its not hard, cops here suck.

Don-seeing as how Avi and Rich got banned, Im not about to test my luck being a smart@ss and run the risk of deletion or the ban
Old 07-12-2005, 03:07 PM

Under the Chicago code, a person playing a car stereo that is audible from a distance of 75 feet can have his vehicle seized, be fined up to $500 and charged an additional $115 in towing and storage fees incurred when the vehicle is impounded. This happened to a buddy of mine on his way into work last year. This is in the city itself, but in the suburbs it is usually 75.00 and can get more expensive depending on what time of day the violation occurs.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM

yeah, i just gotta be careful with the volume. plus, i get sick of bass at times heh.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM

I can understand the law being exercized if you were living next dorr to them, in the immediate vicinity or parked in front of someones home disturbing them. The noise would have to be constant for a ticket to be given IMO. If you're standing still or are in your home and I pass you with my stereo blasting, you hear it inside and I'm moving away from you. It may be noisy for a few seconds but not enough to warrant a ticket. The sound is actually getting lower as I move away from you. ***** Fockers with weed eaters, lawnmowers and blowers should get the same tickets. Those Azzholes do that $h!t early in the morning and that's disturbing, noisy and constant.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:08 PM

I'm sure some people will take offense to this, but these laws are being passed SPECIFICALLY for the likes of the people on this forum that are saying stuff like "Man, all those focking noise laws are bullsheet". It's MOSTLY the younger people that have no, or very little, respect for others when they're booming their systems around town. Maybe when you all get a little older you'll understand. I was there once too, believe me. The laws may not all be fair, and they might not be enforced fairly all the time, (we all wish they were) but like GrazsRootz eluded to, if enough people got together to protest these laws and offer a reasonable solution then things might be different. I haven't seen a SINGLE person at a city council meeting where I work come in to protest such laws. And my city doesn't have an ordinance covering sound, although in a nearby town it's 50 feet.

And there ARE laws about loud exhausts as well. Here in WA if your exhaust is louder than 95dB when measured a certain distance away from the tailpipe, then you can be ticketed. This applies to any vehicle manufactured in the last 25 years which has had its exhaust sytem modified to be louder than the original equipment.

I belive its $132 for the first offense and then it goes up from there.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:21 PM

I had gotten a 153 $ Ticket by a local cop. He labeled my ticket as "Boom Box System" haha
Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 PM

dam one time i was on the ave bassin real hard, and a paddy wagoin rolled up next to me, they just looked and they didnt say anything. but i did lower the music.

if they pull you over tell them u were singing
Old 07-12-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DcMaN
He labeled my ticket as "Boom Box System" haha
I would be insulted if a local cop put that on my ticket.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:18 PM

i think i have the document scanned some where im gonna try and find it

Edit: Ahhh here it is lol

Old 07-13-2005, 06:25 AM

Might want to photoshop out your address and name!!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Suspension Yoda

wow in jersey they dont tell u how much the violations are, u gotta look em up to find out the cost
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 AM
blah

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
wow in jersey they dont tell u how much the violations are, u gotta look em up to find out the cost
my boss spent an hour yesterday investigating how much his ticket was for having an air freshener hanging from his mirror. Why don't they put the price on tickets?

I got a 105 ticket for loud music when I was using a factory stereo in my old mazda. Now my stereo is like 800x as loud
Old 07-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Batxel
my boss spent an hour yesterday investigating how much his ticket was for having an air freshener hanging from his mirror. Why don't they put the price on tickets?

I got a 105 ticket for loud music when I was using a factory stereo in my old mazda. Now my stereo is like 800x as loud

now THAT is a RIDICULOUS offense
Old 07-13-2005, 09:07 AM

When I was younger, I would pound my system everywhere. Not to **** people off, but to enjoy it. Well, I pissed pleanty of people off. I have gotten warnings, no tickets for excessive noise, and consider myself lucky. My experience has showed me that everyone has different taste. Some like loud stereos, others drool over fart cans or Harley's. I am selective about where I play my stereo loudly. The first reason is I don't want the tickets. The second is that pit of my stomache feeling of hatred when the douchebag fires up his V-twin and revs it for a minute or two before barrelling down the road. Mind you, I live on a 115 acres. I hear it from 1/4 mile away.

A very good friend of mine just got his 3rd sound violation this year. He had to go to court. I just don't have time to waste on court or money to burn on stupid tickets.

I equate it to speeding, everyone does it, if you get caught, and you were speeding, pay up.

With all that said, I def think the laws for noise are steep. Monetarily and distance. The laws only cover(at least here in FL) certain noise as pollution. BS. It is noise stereotyping. Again, BS.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 AM

I have no problem paying up to bass tickets, as long as I dont get any more moving violations or points on my license, im happy
Old 07-13-2005, 01:40 PM

I have no problem paying up to bass tickets, as long as I dont get any more moving violations or points on my license, im happy
Agreed. Can't drive and slam w/o yer license.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:57 PM

lol do what i did when they took mine, just bass in your driveway... yea mother****ers
Old 07-13-2005, 01:58 PM

only you avi. why am i not surprised.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
lol do what i did when they took mine, just bass in your driveway... yea mother****ers
and **** off the neighbors?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM

I just got pulled over last night for my bass. I got ticketed for the bass and my 5% tint .

I didn't even have it playing that loud and the cop was just driving by as I was sitting in an intersection. I was driving to taco bell. I made it all the way to the drive-through and when I was ordering my food, the cop pulled up behind me and told me to go all the way through the drive-through.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:52 PM

that sucks man.

that's why i turn it down at intersections/stoplights. ya never know when a cop will be nearby. plus it won't annoy others around you.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Forget that... I keep mine cranked so everyone can see why I bought it... for the back massage.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 PM

i'd hate to sit in your truck for more than a minute when you have those 12s at full tilt
Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The big thing up in my summer town up in Maine a couple years ago was trucks with 1/4 and 1/2 mufflers. They'd be wicked loud for no good reason. Thats definitely unnecessary noise, especially when they don't sound good, they're just loud.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:54 PM
sunten1

Whoa that sucks and that ticket also sucks 150 **** son

Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
i'd hate to sit in your truck for more than a minute when you have those 12s at full tilt
Well lets see... a co-worker complained it hurt his back.

The wife has made the following complaints already

-can't breath (still trying to figure that one out, the windows were down )
-can't see straight
-that I'm shaking everything in the house
-she heard me driving on the intersate while at her parents house (they're like 1/2 mile from the interstate)
-that I woke up my daughter
-that I'm shaking her rear view mirror in her Highlander (my personal favorite )
-left ear is tingling

So far that's about it. Surprisingly no tickets yet. I do get great stares from like 2 blocks down the road though.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Suspension Yoda

wee-todd-id

Quick Reply: Noise Violation laws near you