Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Wiring my headunit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 PM

Wiring my headunit

i bought a connecting kit so i don't have to splice any wires in my car.

i've connected all the wires except for 3... the ones that remain are:

(these are on the connecting harness)
Negative Dimmer - Orange with black stripe
Ground Amp - Black with white stripe
Amp Turn On - Blue with white stripe

(these are the ones that remain on the harness from the headunit)
Positive Dimmer - Orange
Ground Chassis - Black
Remote Control - light blue with white stripe

my question is do i connect the positive dimmer to the negative dimmer?

and do i connect the Ground Amp to the Ground Chassis?

from my understanding the ground is supposed to automatically ground once i re-attach the console..

page 7 http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/647021.pdf

"...the metal will automatically GROUND to the metal of the vehicles dash when you screw the brackets into the dash"

so basically my question/s once again are:

does the positive dimmer connect to the negative dimmer?
and does the amp ground connect to the chassis ground?

- thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 AM

The dimmer isnt really needed but I believe you have to trace it back to the dimmer switch. The positive ans negative are for whichever the switch are, *I think*. The ground should be grounded to the chassis of the car. Nissan doesnt have a ground wire in its harness so you have to ground it yourself. That quote simply means that the factory unit is grounded by the screws that hold it into place.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:02 AM

Mkay followup:

the ground wire is supposed to go onto the car chassis as stated.. the positive and negative dimmer didn't have an affect from what i found (be they connected together or not) so i trimmed their ends off so they don't touch anything (no need to connect something if it goes without it :-p)

amp turn on and remote control were left alone

now i have 4 concerns, (4 questions)

1. When i remove the console (its detachable because im still testing) there is a hot spot behind the headunit where the cables connect (like at the end of the harness) isn't this a bad thing?

2. According to diagrams Nissan makes an adapter for the radio to connect to the nissan radio harness to fit the headunit... can this be bought anywhere else aside from nissan? and approx whats the price?

3. Currently my power antenna wires are connected but when car starts up the antenna doesn't go up, and the radio sounds a little bit static-ky, is this because i don't yet have the nissan radio adapter connected?

4. Currently all the speakers are working fine except for the front left speakers, i checked the wiring, i decided to strip the wires and connect them again (just in case it was done wrong the first time) .. same problem.. they make like a farting sound.. there is no "music" coming from them as the other speakers do their thing.. i messed around with the settings and as i said every other side sounds fine.. any solutions come to mind?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM

bump :-/....
Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by AxisKill
Mkay followup:

the ground wire is supposed to go onto the car chassis as stated.. the positive and negative dimmer didn't have an affect from what i found (be they connected together or not) so i trimmed their ends off so they don't touch anything (no need to connect something if it goes without it :-p)

amp turn on and remote control were left alone

now i have 4 concerns, (4 questions)

1. When i remove the console (its detachable because im still testing) there is a hot spot behind the headunit where the cables connect (like at the end of the harness) isn't this a bad thing?
Hot spot as in heat? Yes ... electronics get hot ... just the way it is.

2. According to diagrams Nissan makes an adapter for the radio to connect to the nissan radio harness to fit the headunit... can this be bought anywhere else aside from nissan? and approx whats the price?
You don't need any other harnesses. I'm not 100% sure to what you are referring, but if you bought a Metra or American International wiring harness ... you're all set.

3. Currently my power antenna wires are connected but when car starts up the antenna doesn't go up, and the radio sounds a little bit static-ky, is this because i don't yet have the nissan radio adapter connected?
When you turn the radio on, antenna should go up. Turn on CD player and it should go down. Same if you power off the car. If you haven't bought the antenna adapter, then your antenna is likely not connected to the headunit, leaving you with static on radio stations.

4. Currently all the speakers are working fine except for the front left speakers, i checked the wiring, i decided to strip the wires and connect them again (just in case it was done wrong the first time) .. same problem.. they make like a farting sound.. there is no "music" coming from them as the other speakers do their thing.. i messed around with the settings and as i said every other side sounds fine.. any solutions come to mind?
Prolly a bad speaker. Take it out and test it on a home stereo or equivalent. Anything that will feed it a speaker level signal.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:07 AM

thanks for the reply Ham.

i bought an antenna adapter now.. the static on radio stations is gone, but the antenna doesn't go up (dont know what to say to that)

and the ground wire no longer needs to touch the chasis ever since i connected the antenna adapter.

the front left speakers still fart.. i don't know what to do .. the only thing i can do is move the sound from the head unit to the middle right side... but the car feels so sad this way...

anyone know what else could be wrong? whats causing the front left speakers to be pewpty but everything else to be okay?

im on a budget so taking this to an installer would defeat the purpose of the whole "project" although i can afford it.. i rather not

- i'll be out fuxing around with the unit and check for replies every 30 minutes or so . - thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

The antenna being connected now makes a "floating ground" Ground it manually. The turn on output from the radio needs to go to the power antenna lead on the harness unless you have an antenna output from the radio itself. Either way that needs to be connected for the antenna to raise and lower. If theres not an independant antenna lead from the radio, then the amp turn on wire is used and the antenna will only go up and down when the radio is on or off, regardless of source (radio,cd,etc).
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM

I think you can connect the amp turn on lead to the antenna wire, not positive though, but pretty sure.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 AM

there was no need for that, i bought an antenna converter from best buy to convert the stock antenna wire to the radio (like pictured on page 5 of 9) http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/647021.pdf

also there were 2 blue wires both labeled power antenna that i connected (one from Metra wire harness and one from the head unit)

more information about my speaker situation

the front left is still farting..

i tried connecting + to -.. still + to +, - to -, all 4 together.. and when i disable them there is still a small amount of sound coming from the front left.. if i turn it up it starts farting again...

side info is my left and right turn signals don't come on.. i don't know if this has to do with other wiring or not.. but figured i'd include it..

only wires currently disconnected are:
negative dimmer - orange with black stripe - metra harness
ground amp - black with white stripe - metra harness
positive dimmer - orange - radio harness
chassis ground - black - radio harness

- any help i can get is appreciated.. thanks

ps ive decided to stop messing around until i get some more advice because a wild moth just attacked my face as i was testing wires.. and no matter what part of the car you're modding, that's a sure sign to give it a rest for a little bit
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 PM

k ive connected just about anything and everything that could be connected .. the front left is still freaking farting!!

is there anyone in the northeast NJ area that knows what they're doing? or is it possible that the wires are messed up?

there must be some simple solution to this that i'm overlooking..
Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 PM

k ive connected just about anything and everything that could be connected .. the front left is still freaking farting!!

is there anyone in the northeast NJ area that knows what they're doing? or is it possible that the wires are messed up?

I think its more than likely blown.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 PM

Yes it is Most likely blown. Your ground wire should definately be connected.

I know a Little bit about installing
Old 07-14-2005, 01:03 PM

***** :-/ "blown" is not what i want to hear.. how can it be blown if it worked before with the stock setup and now decide to act up?

Pearlmax im in Bergen County.. according to mapquest Edison is quite a bit away (but i'll do it :-p).. would i need to schedule an appointment with you? (from my understanding you have a shop / work for a shop?)

also what does everyone reccomend i do? for now im thinking im just going to reconnect everything except for front left speakers..do i go about buying new speakers all around? or just the front left? .. im on a bit of a budget.. im thinking going to a junkyard and taking a front left speaker (from what i know 95-99 should work correct) ?

- im going to go put everything back together now.. and then come back for replies
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
MaximaFreak

Wow, Edison. I bought my Beta gear from someone up in that area (when Infinity Beta gear awas around), I wish I could remember the name of the shop ...
Old 07-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Wow, Edison. I bought my Beta gear from someone up in that area (when Infinity Beta gear awas around), I wish I could remember the name of the shop ...

LoL how long ago? I sold my Beta stuff a few years back.I Believe it was a Beta 300 and Beta 1000
Old 07-18-2005, 09:47 AM

Update

Okay.. ive narrowed the problem down to either the headunit being messed up or the harness connected to the headunit being at fault. How?

I took the wiring from the front right speaker (+ and -) and connected it to the Metra connector front left speaker (+ and -) i then switched the balance on the headunit to the front right and perfectly clear sound came from my front left speaker (as i said before, there's no way it could've blown during install).

I then took the front left wires (+ and -) and connected them to the front right wires on the metra harness and the same farting sound came from the front right speakers..

I then concluded the front left wires on the pioneer harness are messed up.. so off to Radioshak i went, bought some wiring and pulled out the old front left speaker wires and replaced them with new wires (without the sprocket though, i don't know if that effects the outcome any). Anyway I did the same thing as posted above with the same results… this confused me at first, because technically new wiring should fix the problem right?

So im now left with 2 possibilities:

1. The pioneer harness (that connects to the headunit and then to the metra harness) has a messed up output for the front left speaker wires.

Or

2. The actually headunit output for the front left wires is messed up.

Im going out to this local car electronics shop to see if they have a pioneer harness, if anyone has any tips or suggestions or possible solutions please post them. Im hoping I overlooked something basic…
Old 07-18-2005, 11:37 AM

mkay.. i showed my problem to an audio sales guy in the area. he as well thought it was the speaker until i showed him the wiring..

then he said that it's the chip in the headunit that is messed up and that he can't get another one..

so my question is, is there anyone in the area that can fix such a thing? or get another chip cheap?

i would prefer a response ASAP, because im considering just going back to the pawn shop i got this unit from, posing like i never bought it there and selling it back to them (no returns policy)
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 PM

damnit.. anyone?!!?!