Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Scosche kit on 5th gen. PLEASE HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:29 PM

Scosche kit on 5th gen (02). PLEASE HELP ASAP

Tried to install the scosche kit on my 02 (which had a different kit in it). Instructions are so f-ing vauge it is unbelievable. I placed the piece of paper that has the "diagram" on the metal bracket and I have some very serious doubts that it is going to work (mount flush). IT has the holes labeled "AM" and A/T" and I have no clue WTF that stands for. Called their customer support and got an answering machine. Can somebody please help me who has installed this kit. Pictures would be incredible but detailed instructions/reassurance would be great as well. My car is currently ripped apart and will continue to be until I find some help. Tips/etc would be fantastic. I got so mad I threw my keys across the yard and almost ripped my steering wheel off. I spent 3 hours trying to figure this thing out and it seems useless.

This kit was recommended in the FAQs on this site as the kit to buy.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-15-2005, 07:00 PM
99 SE-L

You mean dash kit correct a single din?

I had problems but know how to solve them

Ok the metal bracket has l little ears on top used for mounting the stock headunit to the car for the dash kit to work those ears need to either be bent or broken off, my reccomondation is to bend them back just incase you need to go back to stock later and it will never be flush the top will be near the vents but the bottom near the climate control will always have a gap

Old 07-15-2005, 07:49 PM

It doesn't appear that the ears are the problem. The problem is it needs to be iso mounted and the stock holes do not line up. It tells me to drill new holes but I am not certain the paper they gave me as an outline is going to work. I will look into the ears thing in the morning. So you are saying that by bending the ears it moves the position up and into alignment? So there would be no need to drill more holes?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
It doesn't appear that the ears are the problem. The problem is it needs to be iso mounted and the stock holes do not line up. It tells me to drill new holes but I am not certain the paper they gave me as an outline is going to work. I will look into the ears thing in the morning. So you are saying that by bending the ears it moves the position up and into alignment? So there would be no need to drill more holes?
Just another reason why most shops don't use Scosche any more, and it's sold from places that don't have to take the extra 30 minutes to install it, i.e. Crutchfield, Car Domain, etc.

Nothing like an installation product that actually creates more work on the installer's part.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:12 PM

I agree, but I have already committed and with my dash in pieces it is more than frustrating. I do not want to screw it up and have it look mangled. That is why I spent the money on a new (different) kit in the first place. I also have a $150 hands free kit I would like to install but can't until this is done. I can always ride the ninja tomorrow but Sunday I am golding and NEED the car. Keep the details coming guys. I guess I would like everything written as if I was a 3 year old.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-15-2005, 08:12 PM
99 SE-L

Md loops yes thats what i mean the ears gives it room but if u can scan me a pic of the diagram and ill let u knwo becuase i got no idea where i put mine i really shoudl of got a stock GXE dash trim looks real nice and clean but its $89 maybe later i will

Old 07-15-2005, 08:15 PM

I will scan a pic of the diagram and post it first thing in the morning. It is in the garage right now and I am headed to bed. I appreciate all of your help. BTW What year did you install the kit on 99SE? I would think a 99 would be different. I am also thinking about the GXE trim but cannot remember where I put the part number. I will find it in the morning. Talk to you guys tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:17 PM
99 SE-L

Nah i use to have a 99SEL now i got a 2k2 SE my ssytem is in progress now the headunit is working the 2 amps are conencted now my trunk is being made but deff scan the pic and i will lead you into the right direction

Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 PM

i had the scosche kit and i thought it was terrible. go to your local car stereo installer and get the metra kit for $15. sell the scosche kit to someone who wants to use it for a in dash screen project because the tray is removable and use the metra. trust me. even when i got it all set up there was barely enough room for my cd player to fold down and eject the cd. not worth the trouble.

just noticed ur from rochester, i am too. msg me if u want maybe i can show u what mine looks like with the metra kit. i got it from the stereo shop for $15. deff worth it.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:13 AM

Here it is guys

Old 07-16-2005, 06:14 AM

I have no idea what AM and A/M mean. One could mean aftermarket but why the difference. There are 4 A/Ms and 2 AMs. Alternate Mount??
Old 07-16-2005, 07:35 AM

Looking over the factory pieces and the scosche kit I have confirmed 100% that their diagram is not accurate. I think I can custom drill holes and make it work. I will create an entire how to on this matter hopefully shortly. If we are going to promote use of this kit on the org there should be a how to. Otherwise remove it from the FAQs as the kit to buy.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Thats the only Scosche 5th gen install Ive done. I just drilled new holes in the factory brackets and it worked fine, came out perfect.

99SEL, I have no idea what your talking about with bending the factory metal ears. I didnt have to bend anything, and Ive never had to do anything like that with the Scosche, Metra, and GXE kits Ive installed. All my installs come out perfectly flush with the vents and a/c controls, without cutting or bending any factory mounting.

I have no idea what A/M means either. But just drill new holes, mount the kit so it lines up, and call it a day.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 AM

In the process. I drew up a Cad drawing to assist me in the holes. It is starting to rain here so I may get a break. This is taking me so many hours. If I were to do it again I could probably do it pretty quickly. The Cd player mounts perfect I just have to bump the holes up on the pocket so it touches the unit and rests flush. What a PITA.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:19 PM
99 SE-L

Well mine came out perfect also except a tiny gap under the climate control

Old 07-17-2005, 06:58 AM

Looking over the factory pieces and the scosche kit I have confirmed 100% that their diagram is not accurate. I think I can custom drill holes and make it work. I will create an entire how to on this matter hopefully shortly. If we are going to promote use of this kit on the org there should be a how to. Otherwise remove it from the FAQs as the kit to buy.

If you come up with a new drilling pattern diagram, please post. I will installing the scosche kit in a few days (waiting for it to ship).

-Tom

(P.S. also in Rochester!)
Old 07-17-2005, 07:28 AM

like i told him i HIGHLY recommend that you get the metra kit from the stereo
shop for $15.

Originally Posted by tomz17
(P.S. also in Rochester!)
we need to start a rochester maxima meet!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:28 AM

mmm... as an aside, the stereo shop wanted $1900 for an AVN 5435 installed, and they wouldn't budge on price. Let's just say not very competitive!

What is included in the metra kit? I ordered the harness + antenna adapater + scosche kit off of e-bay for like $27 total shipped.

-Tom

Originally Posted by merovi
like i told him i HIGHLY recommend that you get the metra kit from the stereo
shop for $15.

we need to start a rochester maxima meet!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:32 AM

What is included in the metra kit?
'kit' meaning dash kit, not 'kit' meaning it includes every single piece you need. The 'Metra kit' = the dash kit.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM

ya the metra kit is the piece that holds the HU into the dash. the antenna adapter and wires are seperate. but the metra is much better then the other, IMO. just just put everything in. no drilling or anything. and i thought that the scosche kit fit to snugly around my cd player. i litterally had to pull the face down to change cd's before i got the metra and a motorized faceplate.

and as to being competitive, where else around here can u get eclipse gear? i'm not sure of another place. but it is an expensive unit and wiring it and everything.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

and as to being competitive, where else around here can u get eclipse gear? i'm not sure of another place. but it is an expensive unit and wiring it and everything.
Don, aka Pearl96Max.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Don, aka Pearl96Max.
ya i know don can get stuff but he can't ship it. so for us that live in rochester NYC is about a 9-10 hour drive i believe.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm, good point. Can't help you then, sorry.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 AM

I am trying to figure out a good way to post it here without compromising it's exact fit on piece of paper. I should come up with a solution soon.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:05 AM

Does the metra kit replace the stock metal piece that holds the cdplay + climate controls!?

Does it include the trim for the front?

I've just attached my avic d1 to the stock bracket, but it looks way to high (close to the vent). (see pic below)

(Still waiting for the scosche faceplate)

-Tom

ya i know don can get stuff but he can't ship it. so for us that live in rochester NYC is about a 9-10 hour drive i believe.
Actually, Don was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper (that was my other choice for the eclipse), which is what led me to believe that the stereo shop was trying to rip me off. Anyway, I still have family in Newark that I visit often, so having Don install it wouldn't have been a big deal.

9-10 hours!??! pfft... (I've made it back to newark in 4 hours 25 minutes)

Anyway, i've installed my Avic D1 yesterday. I took plenty of pics, so hopefully I'll get around to writing it up.

-Tom

Old 07-18-2005, 07:42 AM

P.S. old navi system + stock clarion headunit are for sale (in forsale forum)

-Tom
Old 07-18-2005, 09:47 AM

your d1 is too high for the scosche kit,

you need the gxe kit
Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jeepik
your d1 is too high for the scosche kit,

you need the gxe kit
Honestly, it looks too high for the GXE kit as well....

suggestions? I'm not sure whether i could screw it in lower in the stock bracket or not. If so, it would probably only buy me a quarter of an inch or so.

-Tom
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 AM

If it is double din scosche will work perfectly. There is no such thing as a "too high" double din radio. They all fit the same when you iso-mount them
Old 07-18-2005, 11:27 AM

If it is double din scosche will work perfectly. There is no such thing as a "too high" double din radio. They all fit the same when you iso-mount them
what does ISO-mount mean?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM

9-10 hours!??! pfft... (I've made it back to newark in 4 hours 25 minutes)
You did not understand I guess. He said from NYC to rochester which is 9-10 hours. Not from NYC to newark. Stereo shop sucks. They lost my business. Cardomain has the scosche kits for 16 shipped. I am still working on the pics.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM

You did not understand I guess. He said from NYC to rochester which is 9-10 hours. Not from NYC to newark. Stereo shop sucks. They lost my business. Cardomain has the scosche kits for 16 shipped. I am still working on the pics.
NYC is 15 min from Newark. You can see the skyline from my parents roof... Driving at a reasonable pace, you can definitely make it in under 5 hours (from rochester to NYC and rochester to newark). I've done it.

I'd love to see pics of the scosche, but I really need more direction here. I have th scosche kit on order, and have screwed in the avic d1 into the stock bracket. Do I need something else to make this work. How does the metra kit fit into all of this?

-Tom
Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 AM

We are in ROCHESTER, NY NOT NEWARK. PLEASE LEARN TO READ BEFORE YOU POST.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:09 PM

look on his picture the top of the radio is almost touching the bottom of the a/c vent

the scosche kit has a half inch cover in that area
Old 07-18-2005, 01:36 PM

We are in ROCHESTER, NY NOT NEWARK. PLEASE LEARN TO READ BEFORE YOU POST.
No need to flame... A$$... I am sitting in Rochester, NY right now and can GUARANTEE that I read better than you (despite that fact that english is my second language).

Let's recap
Rochester -> Newark = 4.5 hours (I've done it)
Newark -> NYC = 15 minutes (I've done it)
Rochester -> NYC = 4.5 hours + 15 minutes (driving indirectly)

so 9-10 hour estimate is WAY off.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeepik
look on his picture the top of the radio is almost touching the bottom of the a/c vent

the scosche kit has a half inch cover in that area
I agree, I don't see how anything can fit betweenthe vents and the navi the way I have it mounted now... Does the scosche kit come with some kind of mounting bracket?

-Tom
Old 07-18-2005, 04:41 PM

with the unit that you have the gxe trim is the best thing to do. u just get some plastic filler and it will look like this:

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~nbalan...og/CIMG1030.JPG

the schose kit is also good for these types of HU. you just have to cut away the plastic bar that goes across the middle to make it double din. the metra unit has a pocket built into it so it would not be a good option for a screen.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:45 PM

No need to flame... A$$... I am sitting in Rochester, NY right now and can GUARANTEE that I read better than you (despite that fact that english is my second language).

Let's recap
Rochester -> Newark = 4.5 hours (I've done it)
Newark -> NYC = 15 minutes (I've done it)
Rochester -> NYC = 4.5 hours + 15 minutes (driving indirectly)

so 9-10 hour estimate is WAY off.

I am unsubscribed. Why waste my time at this forum. My estimate is on the high side and yours on the low, but who gives a $hit.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have all three kits that i used..

The Metra, Schosche and the GXE kit.

See my webpage for the metra install (http://members.cardomain.com/minirx07)

Metra kit review:
There is a bit of a fit and finish problem, but its fairly solid piece. It screws in place of the factory head unit. You may have to take a hammer to the factory metal bracket as the indent may cause problems on some decks. However i disliked the colour.

Schosche kit:
I read several of you guys saying that guys double din screen is TOO HIGH UP!!

there is a reason for this. When you use the scosche kit, you must redrill the brackets to REPOSITION the radio downwords to fit the opening. The problem with the scosche kit is that the opening is for ISO style. So you have a deck that requires the trimplate avoide the SCHOSCHE.

GXE kit:
Currently not installed, I am using this for a project thats been put on hold for a VERY LONG TIME.. this is by far the BEST KIT ever made. Since the vents and the trim is all one unit, its pretty sweet..

I recommend the GXE kit, then the Metra kit, and the scosche kit last, because the excessive modification required.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:24 AM

Thank you for the pictures, and explanation. Not a huge fan of the color on the metra kit!

Anyway, I ordered the GXE kit after I realized that it may in fact fit. The distance from the vents to the radio is different in the SE and GXE kit, which totally makes sense now. (I posted pictures in another thread)

-Tom

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
I have all three kits that i used..

The Metra, Schosche and the GXE kit.

See my webpage for the metra install (http://members.cardomain.com/minirx07)

Metra kit review:
There is a bit of a fit and finish problem, but its fairly solid piece. It screws in place of the factory head unit. You may have to take a hammer to the factory metal bracket as the indent may cause problems on some decks. However i disliked the colour.

Schosche kit:
I read several of you guys saying that guys double din screen is TOO HIGH UP!!

there is a reason for this. When you use the scosche kit, you must redrill the brackets to REPOSITION the radio downwords to fit the opening. The problem with the scosche kit is that the opening is for ISO style. So you have a deck that requires the trimplate avoide the SCHOSCHE.

GXE kit:
Currently not installed, I am using this for a project thats been put on hold for a VERY LONG TIME.. this is by far the BEST KIT ever made. Since the vents and the trim is all one unit, its pretty sweet..

I recommend the GXE kit, then the Metra kit, and the scosche kit last, because the excessive modification required.

Quick Reply: Scosche kit on 5th gen. PLEASE HELP ASAP