Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Auto-start question(s)....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Auto-start question(s)....

I am looking to install an autostart system asap. Today I went to best buy and looked at a viper system that was only auto-start. I noticed that while looking through the past 10 pages of threads most people have the 791, alarm and auto-start. I'm not worried about an alarm but was wondering if anyone had problems with the auto-start exclusive.

Also, do i have to give up a key to go into the system? If so i wonder how much an extra key will cost me at a dealer....??

any help will be much appreciated
Old 07-22-2005, 01:10 PM

Problems with auto-start.... not really. Once the NVIS bypass module is installed and working properly, it should be wire-tied to it's position so as not to shift.

Giving up a key... yes you do have to. Use your valet key if you have one. If not, you'll pay the dealer around $100 for the key itself (and maybe even more for the programming of the NVIS if they don't include it in the price).

And if you have a manual transmission, no authorized dealer will do it for you. If they do, they won't give you a receipt, as it would violate their agreement with the alarm/remote start vendor.

If you want to do it yourself, there's a how-to/write-up on my web site for the 791 install.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by studman
Problems with auto-start.... not really. Once the NVIS bypass module is installed and working properly, it should be wire-tied to it's position so as not to shift.

Giving up a key... yes you do have to. Use your valet key if you have one. If not, you'll pay the dealer around $100 for the key itself (and maybe even more for the programming of the NVIS if they don't include it in the price).

And if you have a manual transmission, no authorized dealer will do it for you. If they do, they won't give you a receipt, as it would violate their agreement with the alarm/remote start vendor.

If you want to do it yourself, there's a how-to/write-up on my web site for the 791 install.
Well hello there, what a rare occasion this is to see you posting

+1 to everything he said.
JB: NVIS=Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System, i.e. the chip in the key. DEI 556U is the bypass module. Cuz I know at first I didnt know what NVIS stood for, even though I knew we had a chip in the key.

And when properly installed, you should have no problems whatsoever with DEI alarms. Theyre awesome.

-kevin